Thread: Seriously, Gold Sinks?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,058 Posts

Default Seriously, Gold Sinks?

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Gold sink is an economic process by which a video game's ingame currency ('gold'), or any item that can be valued against it, is removed. This process is comparable to financial repression in real economies. Most commonly the genres are role-playing game or massively multiplayer online game. The term is comparable to timesink, but usually used in reference to game design and balance, commonly to reduce inflation when commodities and wealth are continually fed to players through sources such as quests, looting monsters, or minigames.
    So, basically gold sinks are IG features which are designed to reduce gold currency in general in a game. Common gold sinks in MMOs are vanities, mounts, gear, etc. The only gold sinks in PL are potions and some elixirs. They aren't effective. Gold sinks are at their best as they are something which aren't necessity features in game. The problem without gold sinks is inflation. This can be easily seen as the heightened item prices in PL. And it has been spiralled way out of control since AO3.

In PL, there rly aren't any Gold Sinks. I have no idea why they haven't been added way earlier to the game (I already did a price complaint thread ages ago. click me. Notice that the thread was made over a year ago) as the prices are just plain ridiculous. 4M for lvl 75 crafted STR armor, 2M for 1h wep, around 0.5M for helm and another 2M for the shield. Just ewwww.

I have been pondering a few obvious gold sinks for PL.

1) New vanities for Gold
    So obvious. Wouldn't require that much of work and would be a rly effective way to get sum gold vanish. Prices may vary from 10k all the way to 1m as an example. With vanities, they can be anything and IMO gold purchasable exclusive vanities would be the best gold sink for PL, as the game itself is all about looking cool in end game.

2) Elixirs for Gold
    Yeah, there already are some elixirs for gold. But who the heck will pay constantly some cash for 5 minute elixirs? It just doesn't make sense for me that the gold purchasable elixirs are so weak. Ofc the platinum bought elixirs should be stronger than gold bought, but like 2x 1/2 hour combo elixir for like 10k would be a very effective and constant gold sink. This one would be hardest to implement from my suggestions as it requires STS to tamper their best revenue merchandise, the elixirs. But yet, again, the situation is just simply horrible economically in PL. We need all the possible Gold Sinks IMO as for now.

3) Items for Gold
    This is kinda like the same idea as the "bundles" in DL and AL. "Buy this superyduperychest for 50k and u may receive something cool". There could be scale able mediocre pinks (with mediocre meaning good, but not the best for the current lvl) and some superydupery exclusive vanities to look for. STR, DEX, INT and different vanity packs. I do not think that this system would be hard to implement to PL as it has always been there for DL and AL.

Ik that some of u might feel skeptical about this whole idea of "Gold Sinks".

"STOPID DADTUS I DO NOT WANTS TO GIEV MI GOLDS AWAI OMGOMGMOGMLOLOLOLROFLCOPTER"

But gold sinks are necessary. MMORPGs like PL are actual words. Some rules do go hand to hand with the real world. Economics does apply to MMORPGs. In real life the gold sinks are our necessities like food, home, shelter, platinum for PL and so on. In PL our only necessity is what we decide is our necessity. There aren't any requirements like "omgomg i gots to bai fod or mi burd deds". Gold keeps on coming and coming and nothing takes it away than what we decide we want. Some may be wondering how the gold just keeps on coming. Mainly, the gold comes to the game from dungeons. U know, those chests and enemies? They give totally free gold. U know those items u receive as random drops? They give u gold as u liquidate them. Other way how gold just magically appears to our Alterra, is gold purchasers for platinum. It might seem odd that we would get that much money to flow to the game but think for a while.

Let's imagine from June (as I can't recall specific release date in May) 2010 there have been daily 10 000 players doing 10 runs each and each run grants 200 golds for every player (a rly undercutting estimate IMO). So, daily there comes 2 000 000 golds to the whole game. for the year 2010 there came in total of 4 280 000 000 golds. Not to mention that as time has gone by, there are more and more players playing this game. That was just a simpleton estimation (yet again, totally lowballing IMO) for 2010 year only. Not to mention I start counting from June while 2011 and 2012 would have been full calender years. It's true that all of that gold isn't floating in PL as there are people who quit, but yet again I didn't even count or estimate the plat purchased gold.

All in all, Gold Sinks are a necessity for every single popular MMO. U can't just ignore the huge inflation going on STS, we need some action.
    Last edited by dudetus; 01-28-2013 at 03:08 PM.

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to dudetus For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

2) Elixirs for Gold
    Yeah, there already are some elixirs for gold. But who the heck will pay constantly some cash for 5 minute elixirs? It just doesn't make sense for me that the gold purchasable elixirs are so weak. Ofc the platinum bought elixirs should be stronger than gold bought, but like 2x 1/2 hour combo elixir for like 10k would be a very effective and constant gold sink. This one would be hardest to implement from my suggestions as it requires STS to tamper their best revenue merchandise, the elixirs. But yet, again, the situation is just simply horrible economically in PL. We need all the possible Gold Sinks IMO as for now.
    I hear ya. I would totally spam 2x 30 min elixirs until i cap. Good idea.
    Last edited by Oskitopee; 01-28-2013 at 03:28 PM.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,058 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oskitopee View Post
    I hear ya. I would totally spam 2x 30 min elixirs until i cap. Good idea.
    Exactly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts

Pro.

We definitely need this, it wouldn't fix the economy, but it would be a good start.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Griffinfan:945939
    Pro.

We definitely need this, it wouldn't fix the economy, but it would be a good start.
    I agree. Also, making some pinks rarer would help aswell ( I guess)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

Although I completely agree with the OP, STS has all those things already. Only not as a gold sink but as a plat sink. Elixers for example used to be the biggest gold sink in game, until they made the good ones only available through plat.

So, do I like the idea? Definitely! Do I think any of the suggestions would actually be implemented? For this question you got to ask yourself this: Would STS make anything that would lower plat purchases for the sake of a gold sink? I think you can answer that question yourself.

And for all doubters of my rockstar status:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    U rok, thanks!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JaytB For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,462 Posts

i know i've suggested this before to no avail, but i agree mostly.
    i wrote in a thread waaaayy back when guilds came out there should be guild vanities ( items or custom rooms), if they were for gold that would work a bit.
    The one thing that makes me sceptical is that they are soo reluctant to do so much as recolor an old vanity to make it different looking ( both me and you were on the same page having never taken off zombie masks for a while anyway), so adding new ones doesn't seem likely.
    oddly, i think these dragon armors are a kind of goldsink, along with the high priced endgame stuff. if your like me , i will pay prolly too much just to get that extra couple points of stat. i have that human face solely for the crit points, not because i wanna pass for barbra striesand.
    Last edited by Suentous PO; 01-28-2013 at 04:57 PM. Reason: the voices said to

Blogger
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts

I think they should keep the dragon pets for plat but then the dragon armor and such be in store but.. be a defined gold ammount and unlimited so you want red set? Have 5m? Buy helmet and armor for 2.5m each and after you purchase the gold gets removed from the game entirely. But most would cry and complain. Lol

Sent using blood on a bathroom wall

PL) razerfingers, razer, kinglewi SL) deadspace, razerfingers, sharpshooter DL) trueblood, razerfingers, sharpteeth AL) razer, razerfingers, billionaire, donaldtrump

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

We need mounts in all legends games, the only mobile MMO I've played that has mounts is Order and Chaos.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,058 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JaytB View Post
    Although I completely agree with the OP, STS has all those things already. Only not as a gold sink but as a plat sink. Elixers for example used to be the biggest gold sink in game, until they made the good ones only available through plat.

So, do I like the idea? Definitely! Do I think any of the suggestions would actually be implemented? For this question you got to ask yourself this: Would STS make anything that would lower plat purchases for the sake of a gold sink? I think you can answer that question yourself.
    Yes, that was the reason why I kinda wouldn't count on it. I threw that idea because it would work, not counting on if it was actually put in work. Tbh, I do not think any of these ideas will be implemented. I've learned my lesson for trying to be a contributing forum member. We can toss the ideas, but they will only remain as ideas.

@Sue, yep, vanities are what they are nowadays. Re-colored old vanities. I got an idea for the "exclusive" vanities. Zombie Head is taken from a zombie, why couldn't there be more of "enemy" like only head vanities? Elite vanity thingamabob already exists in which we are a look-a-like to a miniboss. Like skeleton faces, knight faces and so on. Halloween is a costume event and it doesn't contradict with face only vanities. Wouldn't hurt the bandwith that much as completely new vanities but would still be so popular.

Edit: and End game equipment kinda isn't actually a gold sink as it just transfers the money from my pov.
    Last edited by dudetus; 01-28-2013 at 05:26 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts

Maybe an NPC that sells actually good gear?
    Sells gold buyable rings
    Sell pets for gold
    Add decorations for guild halls customizable with gold purchases

The real problem with PL gold sinks is all the legitimate ones are already plat only items
    The old elixir system worked great
    Make turnstile dungeons cost gold
    Make crafting recipes cost gold
    Inventory slots, auction slots, stash slots
    I mean, yes, it would totally kill revenue if they changed all of this.
    Just some pieces though. Bring back old 2x and 3x elixirs for a higher price and keep the 4x for plat

It seems it comes to wanting money or an awesome game.
    And most players don't really care that much and STS knows that people will play and pay the plat prices no matter what. PvP has needed a revamp since fang, they just watched it get worse, PvE is almost 100% elixir based, vanity prices have risen. Remember the shock and outrage when the OCD was first released. They don't care because they know the player will eat whatever they are given

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts

Gold sinks ftw
    rhinomagic[/B]

Tournament & Ladder Leader XghostzX's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,204 Posts

I honestly think STS needs to just bring something new to the table. All of those things you stated, Dudetus, as mentioned - it's only a start.

When bringing something new to the table, it has to be big, appealing, and fun to use/wear/do/etc. This is what STS is lacking.

And basically what I'm about to say has already been mentioned MILLIONS of times in the Suggestion Forum.

-Guild Decorations
    -PvP Gear that you can't buy from CS/trade/sell. You buy it (for a large price) once, and then it's bound to your character
    -Mounts
    -Elixirs For Gold/Vanities as you mentioned

I agree that this is a mobile MMO, but I think the game would be soooooooo much better without the world map. If we log off in the Ancient Swamps, then we log back in the AS. People that are in a hurry (or impatient) to travel to a new towne have to by some sort of teleporter. I'm thinking of Runescape...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XghostzX View Post
    I honestly think STS needs to just bring something new to the table. All of those things you stated, Dudetus, as mentioned - it's only a start.

When bringing something new to the table, it has to be big, appealing, and fun to use/wear/do/etc. This is what STS is lacking.

And basically what I'm about to say has already been mentioned MILLIONS of times in the Suggestion Forum.

-Guild Decorations
    -PvP Gear that you can't buy from CS/trade/sell. You buy it (for a large price) once, and then it's bound to your character
    -Mounts
    -Elixirs For Gold/Vanities as you mentioned

I agree that this is a mobile MMO, but I think the game would be soooooooo much better without the world map. If we log off in the Ancient Swamps, then we log back in the AS. People that are in a hurry (or impatient) to travel to a new towne have to by some sort of teleporter. I'm thinking of Runescape...
    Sounded more like Order and Chaos to me lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Enough with the "mounts"! WE ARE ANIMALS IN THE GAME. Why would animals ride animals? That's just weird. Anyway, a better idea would be if we could pay gold to have a trainer unlock a class-specific mega ability. Bird would be fly, bear would be thick skin (invincibility for x amount of time, etc. for all classes. We use the gold to get cool skills. That way, everyone will buy a skill and there will be a sink, and there's no weird animals riding animals stuff going on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

Enough with the "mounts"! WE ARE ANIMALS IN THE GAME. Why would animals ride animals? That's just weird.
    How about human mounts then?

And for all doubters of my rockstar status:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    U rok, thanks!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to JaytB For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

That would make a cruel world parallel to the one we live in now...lol

The Castle That Never Was, with my Shadowstar and Eternal Frost, also with Ebonine.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    368 Posts

Enough with the "mounts"! WE ARE ANIMALS IN THE GAME. Why would animals ride animals? That's just weird.
    I just burst out laughing as soo as I heard you say that.

All for One, and One for All!
    The Brightest of Flames..cast the Darkest of Shadows..
    One who knows nothing cannot understand anything..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,462 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dudetus View Post
    I got an idea for the "exclusive" vanities. Zombie Head is taken from a zombie, why couldn't there be more of "enemy" like only head vanities? Elite vanity thingamabob already exists in which we are a look-a-like to a miniboss. Like skeleton faces, knight faces and so on. Halloween is a costume event and it doesn't contradict with face only vanities.
    Sick minds think alike- here's my suggestion thread for new holoween vanities way back. I was trying to keep the old stuff from returning. http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...Haloween-items
    In fable u got dye packs to recolor items, I'd buy that here.

And your right, simply expensive stuff isn't removing money, economics allways bored me.

Tournament & Ladder Leader XghostzX's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,204 Posts

In a parallel universe

Screw it, why don't we just drive cars and motorcycles or something?