Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Seriously, Gold Sinks?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

but animals are animals, we should be able to visit an animal specific trainer that allows us, for a fee, to unlock a cool skill, prolly transportation skill. Like a bird would fly, mage would create portals, etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dudetus View Post
    2) Elixirs for Gold
    Yeah, there already are some elixirs for gold. But who the heck will pay constantly some cash for 5 minute elixirs? It just doesn't make sense for me that the gold purchasable elixirs are so weak. Ofc the platinum bought elixirs should be stronger than gold bought, but like 2x 1/2 hour combo elixir for like 10k would be a very effective and constant gold sink. This one would be hardest to implement from my suggestions as it requires STS to tamper their best revenue merchandise, the elixirs. But yet, again, the situation is just simply horrible economically in PL. We need all the possible Gold Sinks IMO as for now.
    x1.5 Combo are 7k for 5min, even if they make x1.5 combo for 30min/60min for 30k/60k, that would be nice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts

Simple

Each character can only hold 9.999 m gold, right?

9m gold store item of special boots that make you walk 20 percent faster ALL THE TIME. Non-tradeable, nonstashabe. Every player will be tempted to sink their gold into one and start from scratch again basically.
    EdtheEagle - Lvl 76 bird a.k.a. "Yeti fodder".
    Curiositee - Lvl 76 mage a.k.a. farmer alt
    Edthe Rhino - Lvl 76 Rhino / Gold Mule ha ha

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

Player houses? Play to buy and only gold to pimp out.
    RIP Twinktastic

AEO is the way to go~now recruiting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts

Thanks duddy
    Doodlebeast, Onyxbleak, Magnabeam, Vacuole
    I bes ping

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts

the only gold sink ever was when we all leveled to 56 with gold elixiers^^

since devs r knowing it since more than a year, theres no intention to bring any system. i think they want it so bcz they want everyone level to endgame and farm a lot.

in my opinion thers not really needed a gold sink. the endgame gear is expensive in our eyes yes, but a gold sink woudnt change anything. always supply and demand making the price, and if thers x% lesser money in game the gear is y% cheaper but it will always seem very expensive.
    - PL - Founder and proud C.O.T. officer
    RicciTS > DEX Bird L77 | Ricci > INT Mage L76 | XCarver> STR/DEX Bear L71
    and many more....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

I agree on the issue of gold sinks. I understand the reluctance of STS to put a dent in the plat sinks.
    One thought is I have though is that, overall, there may be two types of players. People with a lot of time on their hands (generally younger ppl) and people with money to spend (generally older folks with a job / kids etc.).

The ppl with money to spend (i.e. plat) generally do not have the time to really farm for gold as much.
    The ppl with time to spend can farm plenty gold but wont buy lotsa plat.

As such, plat and gold do not necessarily go hand-in-hand. If ya put up a wicked exchange rate, I believe STS could put items / elixers / vanities etc. that are now mainly plat bought up for sale for gold as well without putting a big dent in plat sales.
    If a thrasher (normally 40 plat) costs 400K gold? Would that really put a dent in things? Plat spenders still need their gold to get good gear from the CS (especially since they often do not have the time available to farm for specific items), and many of those who have gold to burn probably do not spend that much plat anyway.

Of course there will be exceptions to this, and probably many of those are active in these forums, but I think that STS could well run a quick scan of their database, crossreferencing plat spend and gold possession per account and thus check whether my hypothesis is correct. If so, there is little barrier to putting out gold sinks which on the surface would compete with plat sinks...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oskitopee View Post
    Enough with the "mounts"! WE ARE ANIMALS IN THE GAME. Why would animals ride animals? That's just weird. Anyway, a better idea would be if we could pay gold to have a trainer unlock a class-specific mega ability. Bird would be fly, bear would be thick skin (invincibility for x amount of time, etc. for all classes. We use the gold to get cool skills. That way, everyone will buy a skill and there will be a sink, and there's no weird animals riding animals stuff going on.
    Don't know about the rest of the community, but I'd love to see some 'bear on bear' action
    No matter what we breed, we still are made of Greed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts

Very well put! Also they could make the bundles you mentioned vanity bundles? Where you pay 'so much' for a rare* chance of receiving a vanity item. But they could also sell vanity items separately for 200k each or some big number. Also maybe a pay-to-enter dungeon where you have a rare* chance of receiving a pink or vanity?

*By rare I mean something that will take so long to get complaints get raised on forums etc. Also the items won't be 'the best' gear in game, but look really cool so people feel a sense of achievement when they get them.

Also make the tradeable so that people continue to farm them, paying 1k each time or however much the amount is.

Edit: Suddenly a wild gold sink appeared...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Dreuefesie; 01-29-2013 at 06:35 AM.

Just an average signature

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dreuefesie For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Riccits View Post
    in my opinion thers not really needed a gold sink. the endgame gear is expensive in our eyes yes, but a gold sink woudnt change anything. always supply and demand making the price, and if thers x% lesser money in game the gear is y% cheaper but it will always seem very expensive.
    True but what happens when endgame item prices jump above the gold cap?
    Then people are getting 'scammed'
    It just make a bigger problem and involving STS actually then

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Riccits:946873
    the only gold sink ever was when we all leveled to 56 with gold elixiers^^

since devs r knowing it since more than a year, theres no intention to bring any system. i think they want it so bcz they want everyone level to endgame and farm a lot.

Agreed in some points, but it would also crash markets first since everyone would try to sell before items get cheaper. So gears would crash down to minimum.
    Also this would only solve the problem of expensive gears. Also this would be bad for all cheap gears for example crystalline because they already crashed down to a minimum price. This would make everyone level to endgame to finally make some gold. Every other farming would be pointless. Since every item which is worth less than 250k+ (just a guessed price) would be worthless quickly.
    Characters:
    Deadfarmers Level 76 Mage Deadsoldiers Level 36 Bear Deadfighters Level 15 Twink Deadmerchant Level 33 Merchant

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,058 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tHelonestud View Post
    True but what happens when endgame item prices jump above the gold cap?
    Then people are getting 'scammed'
    It just make a bigger problem and involving STS actually then
    STS raises gold cap to 99 999 999 golds, problem solved.
    Last edited by dudetus; 01-29-2013 at 02:01 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

Interesting disussion on a subject which is relevant to all MMORPGs.

In the case of PL it is evident (to me) that some measures were already taken to counter the effects of inflation:

1. Limiting transactions below a certain gold cap.

2. Dragon sets are actually gold sinks. Probably this is one of the reasons why they changed them so that if you want their bonus, you give up their value (gold).

3. Introduction of powerful, special-event-looted (e.g. Forgotten) or awarded (e.g. Angelic) gear which decreased the value of previously high-end items (thus degrading hoarded stocks) is another example of gold sink.

So why are the prices of Blacksmoke items still high?

I will answer this question with another question: Yes, prices are high, but are they out of control?

As we know prices are determined by supply and demand. An increase in drop rates would cause the prices to drop. E.g. look what happened to L.56 Glyph sets: they used to be worth 20 mil, now the most expensive costs 2 mil. No player clique could control/prevent this downfall. But drop rates have not increased (yet) in Blacksmoke (again, this is my personal opinion/observation). Also, consider that even the logic of "Premium" and "Normal" pink sets (e.g. Obedience/Mimicry or Lilith/of the Fang) was abandoned in the current campaign. This further increased the demand for Blacksmoke pinks as there is no cheap alternative anymore. This was a decision and therefore increased rarity was (IMO) a desirable outcome for the developing team. Additionally, this time levels take more time to complete, bosses are fewer and the boss that drops armors is particularly hard. All these factors make farming more difficult compared to previous campaigns (having a negative effect on supply), which further explains the high market prices. Possibly, high as intended.

As a general comment: IMO the whole F2P model is based in converting real money to in-game currency (in this case mainly indirectly e.g. luck boosters, plat recipes etc) which obviously leads to gold accumulation + inflation if not handled properly. Given PL's success, I believe that inflation is a matter seriously considered and taken care of.

In summary, I agree that gold accumulation is a potential problem, but only if there is evidence that market prices are solely controlled by a clique of rich players. The L.56 Glyph paradigm proves that this is not the case. In fact, the good news is that a new player can easily progress until the endgame using cheap gear (i.e. Sewers, Nuri and Fang items). A good Humania set (750k - 1.5 mil) is then sufficient to start farming and after a few drops in Blacksmoke they can start thinking about an endgame set.
    When danger reared its ugly head, he bravely turned his tail and fled / Yes, brave Sir Robin turned about and gallantly he chickened out / Bravest of the braaaave, Sir Robin!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

But then ppl would start to charge more and more money, when some ppl can barely get a million. People would start charging insane amounts if the cap was that high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oskitopee View Post
    But then ppl would start to charge more and more money, when some ppl can barely get a million. People would start charging insane amounts if the cap was that high.
    Yes, gold would lose its value because people will start selling for 9999999+ and you'll need heaps to try and keep up with the prices.

Just an average signature

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brave Sir Robin View Post
    Dragon sets are actually gold sinks. Probably this is one of the reasons why they changed them so that if you want their bonus, you give up their value (gold).
    False, a gold sink is when the gold disappears into nothingness. Buying a Dragon piece for gold from another player just keeps the gold in game......

STS doesn't care about the in game economy, they care about the real economy and plat sales putting real cash in their pockets. Hell, if I was part of STS, thats all I'd care about. How else are they going to make the payments on their Ferraris?

Tournament & Ladder Leader XghostzX's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cobraguy View Post
    Dragon sets are actually gold sinks. Probably this is one of the reasons why they changed them so that if you want their bonus, you give up their value (gold).
    False, a gold sink is when the gold disappears into nothingness. Buying a Dragon piece for gold from another player just keeps the gold in game......

STS doesn't care about the in game economy, they care about the real economy and plat sales putting real cash in their pockets. Hell, if I was part of STS, thats all I'd care about. How else are they going to make the payments on their Ferraris?
    If that's what your main goal is (pretending you work at STS), then your duties as a dev aren't being fulfilled; you have also lied. They made a promise to the players that they are listening and "considering our feedback" every now and then, but nah. They honestly never do. Again, neglected by the other games and mostly AL. It's so pathetic the position that we're in.

Might as well adjust to the environment as us humans always do...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XghostzX:947586
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobraguy View Post

If that's what your main goal is (pretending you work at STS), then your duties as a dev aren't being fulfilled; you have also lied. They made a promise to the players that they are listening and "considering our feedback" every now and then, but nah. They honestly never do. Again, neglected by the other games and mostly AL. It's so pathetic the position that we're in.

Might as well adjust to the environment as us humans always do...
    Uhh ya triple quote.....
    I agree with xGhostx, they really never did, i remember the huge dicussions when 2011 winter event started about that silly 2plat per run thing. Also about the high platinum prices..... Also i remember Noobmingo geting banned for voicing his opinion to that theme so i better shut up O.o
    Characters:
    Deadfarmers Level 76 Mage Deadsoldiers Level 36 Bear Deadfighters Level 15 Twink Deadmerchant Level 33 Merchant

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

Most intelligent conversation on these forums... good looking out Ninja, hopefully this is noted by the correct people. I am sure the devs are well aware of this situation, but as Cobra mentioned, do they care? Well at least now they know that WE care. Hopefully if enough dedicated (or high-plat-bracket!) players chime in, it will make an impression.

My 2c, I think an endgame gold leech would be best.. as most newbs really do not accumulate much $ while leveling, potions really are still a burden to them... Purchasing Elix for gold would be incredible, even if very expensive. Idk if it would be enuff to solve the issue tho.

Oh and thanks to Dreuefesie for posting that fancy basin.. beat me to it!
    PL: Disko <Eclipse> | AL: Disko | BD: Disko <Exodus>

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Disko For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Disko:947598
    Most intelligent conversation on these forums... good looking out Ninja, hopefully this is noted by the correct people. I am sure the devs are well aware of this situation, but as Cobra mentioned, do they care? Well at least now they know that WE care. Hopefully if enough dedicated (or high-plat-bracket!) players chime in, it will make an impression.

My 2c, I think an endgame gold leech would be best.. as most newbs really do not accumulate much $ while leveling, potions really are still a burden to them... Purchasing Elix for gold would be incredible, even if very expensive. Idk if it would be enuff to solve the issue tho.

Oh and thanks to Dreuefesie for posting that fancy basin.. beat me to it!
    Ya potions would be great but this wouldnt happen since Sts needs the money....
    What you call high-plat-bracket?
    I am at 5k plat purchased i think, seen alot of people haveing spent more , but i really love the idea of gold sinks and potions for gold.
    Ugh getting off-topic sorry,
    Just to also say here i would have paied 100-150plat to buy a winter map this year for endless playing. But i really dislike the 2plat per run system. So no money from me this winter only in january to level my mage . Devs you see the players want things changed
    Characters: