Thread: PvP Feedback Since Update

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts

Default PvP Feedback Since Update

Just wanted to post some thoughts on my opinions that the latest patch has had on PvP.

Since the patch, Rogues feel very much underpowered. Sorcerers seem to have had a big jump in survivability and Warriors continue to be grossly overpowered.

With Rogues now dealing less damage than they used to, the weaknesses of Rogues become so much more apparent - namely, low mana and low survivability stats. Without the ability to deliver devastating damage in a quick burst, Rogue survivability has plummeted dramatically.

Sorcerers seem to have really improved. I don't know whether it is the new trend of DMG centric builds, or whether the nerfing in damage has helped them survive better, but it appears that Sorcerers have become a class to reckon with; especially when they can shield and stun with fireballs. With so many Sorc builds out there with DMG stats exceeding that of mainstream Rogues, Sorc are evolving into killing machines because they deal AoE damage as opposed to 1v1 damage (which is the specialty of Rogues). This inherent ability to stun an entire group with Fireball, followed by a Critical Strike with Lightning has laid waste to many groups. Sorcerers have always had this ability to wipe entire groups, but were easily killed, so their offensive prowess was often negated by a quick death. Now, with Sorcerers able to withstand a charged Aimed Shot, their retaliation (plus quick shielding) usually lays waste to the attacking Rogue. Sorcerers myriad of stuns and snares are often enough to take out Warriors as well, making Sorcerers a very viable class at this point.

Warriors, as was the case prior to the patch, continues to be very overpowering. I have come across many lv22 Warriors with 130+ DMG, nearly 4K health (when buffed) and ~870 Armor. This setup, in addition to shielding, self healing and immense attack range (especially on Axe Throw), makes them very difficult to defeat 1v1. I have personally hit a single Warrior with 4 Aimed Shots (2 which Crit) along with a mixture of other uncharged skills and was still unable to take him down. Obviously, with an attack barrage such as this, I ran out of mana and attempted to kite with charged auto attacks (hoping to stun) so I could flee. Being unable to disengage, the Warrior quickly beat me, using either a combination of Skyward + Windmill, or Axe Throw + Windmill. Often enough, that I'm sure it wasn't a fluke, I have been one-hit by a Warrior. It goes without saying that this was the Ribbit + top gear tactic that has been flooding the forum, but the point is that the Warrior is able to deal more bursty damage than a Rogue.

Another OP point which has been discussed nearly to death is the Wolf-Pack Warriors: Warriors who group together, buffing shields upon eachother, and the combined Heal-Over-Time and Shielding makes them invincible against any type of group. The only way to combat this tactic is with a Sorcerer launching fireball to stun the group, but with constant invincibility shields, timing is, at best, difficult. Now that Rogue's damage has been reduced, we are unable to dispense of Warriors while they are stunned, so as soon as the stun wears off, it's back up with shields and healing again.

That leaves us with the current, sad state of the Rogue. Without the ability to quickly burst damage for a kill, we have been transformed from what was once a very strong class to probably the weakest class at the moment. Without shielding, no mana recovery ability, and now a nerfing on damage, Rogues have shouldered the heaviest load from this rebalancing. Any kind of giveback, such as reduced mana usage on skills, increased speed or something, would probably go a long ways towards balance, but honestly, at the moment, we are the weakest class. At best, we are able to get single kills, but because every kill takes so much more mana than it used to, we are left with little to no mana after a kill, turning the Rogue into a sitting duck until our mana recovers.

Frankly, from what I have seen since the rebalancing, I have a very hard time trying to define the three classes.

Warrior are not just tanky, they are, often enough, offensive juggernauts. They are fast, powerful and can absorb tremendous damage. Tanks, by traditional definition are slower, more defensive classes, useful for mob control and initial contact. This current class of Warrior has those same traits in addition to overwhelming offensive prowess.

Sorcerers seem to have the correct balance of top end AoE damage, outstanding attack range, terrific group support and squishy-ness. The long duration of their shielding makes them hard to kill when they are prepared and are able to shield before the first wave of attacks. The long duration of their shields are often longer than the survival time of the Rogues who attempt to attack them. Shielding duration aside, I think that this class is very well balanced now.

Rogues used to be the most bursty, damage dealing class in the game. Perhaps they still are, but the inability to dispose of targets quickly without exhausting their entire mana pool has severely hampered the class. Once out of mana, Rogues have no defensive skills (no shielding) and are entirely reliant on their Dodge attribute for survival. At end-game, Dodging doesn't occur very often, so this attribute, which sounds nice, has very little value.

This is not intended to be a rant, but rather some observations that is open to discussion and interpretation. With that said, I would love to hear what others have experienced, especially for the Twinks, since I don't dabble there at all. I know that at different levels new strengths and weaknesses materialize.

AL: Kalizzaa
    Retired Officer of <Elite Runners>
    Elite Chronicles: Solo guides for elite maps - No longer maintained

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

Nice clear post. I think the next balancing that would help would be STR= 10 HP & 3 MP, DEX 6 HP & 3 MP, INT = 6 HP & 10 MP. This would help balance health and mana pools, rogues would still have high dodge/crit, and warriors high armor and mages have CC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts

I agree, reallocation of HP and MP for each stat attribute could help.

Personally, I would also like to see speed and attack range adjustments. It's absurd how the other two classes cannot outrun a Warrior. At least Sorcs have the ability to stun for a long period of time....Rogues don't have that ability. Our stuns might last for one second, and that's only if it lands.

In my experience, only the CRIT% has value for end-game Rogues. I rarely dodge anything...and that's with 25-29% Dodge (depending on build).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

dodge doesn't help much when a warrior can windmill crit for 1-1.5k in a huge area every sec for a few seconds, when a rogue/mage has 2k health. They did it it World of Warcraft, balancing the HP/mana pools and letting other factors like, armor, dodge, skills be a more determining factor. I think it was a nice balance and one this game could use.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts

I guess that's one of my main complain against Warriors. For a tank to crit at 1-1.5K dmg in an effective 16m diameter is absurd. The best crit I've ever landed was 3K, but that's single target, single discharge. Windmill is AoE and has multiple hits - during which they are charging up their next skill.

From a logical standpoint, a 16m diameter is akin to carrying a 24 foot long sword/axe - silly wouldn't you say?

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

All they need to do is nerf ribbit... right? Seems simple, why is this still an issue? Also why are classes hitting 1k+? in the first place. I have 3.7k hp on my warrior. And that's supposed to be a "tank" class. Why are you 1-2 shotting me? I can imagine its even more frustrating for rogues and sorcerers, well maybe just sorcerers since they cant 1 hit anything. I think adjusting hp and mana pools is a great idea. Like someone else said it worked wonders in another mmo previously mentioned.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rollo For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts

It's really more than just nerfing Ribbit. Warriors...at least well geared Warriors, are nearly impossible to kill. Their HP is too high, their armor is too heavy and they regen health too fast. A half dozen Aimed Shots should be enough to take out two Warriors, let alone getting absorbed by one and having him turn around and one-hit you.

The damage reduction disproportionately affects Rogues because that is both our offensive and defensive skill. If we can't 1v1 through a combination of high damage and good kiting, then the Rogue class might as well not even exist. Not to mention that there is really no reasonable explanation to Warriors dishing out more damage with a Windmill than a Rogue can dish out with two charged Aimed Shots.

Sorcs at least have the ability of prolonged stuns via Fireball, so at least they can disengage from a group....Rogues do not have this ability.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Rogue are underpower? im spamming the chat like no tommorow, seriously all those whines around are starting to piss me off , every topic is somehow a "cry" post , well go learn to play that update made just good for us the rogue. have a good day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts

That is neither constructive, nor anything other than YOU crying.

I am simply stating that the nerf disproportionately affects the Rogue class and takes away the primary attribute of the class. So instead of trying to troll or flame this thread, why not offer up some evidence, some worthwhile opinion or anything worth consideration. What you have done is troll my thread and it's not really appreciated.