Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My thoughts on the latest changes/update

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Default My thoughts on the latest changes/update

Well, I finally leveled up to 26 and decided I would do some PvP for the first time since before the Kraken Isles expansion. My record prior to this was 2500-1700, but I'm actually better than that as I was 500-600 at one point, and obviously much better since that time.

So in about 20 minutes I got 4 kills and died about 20 times. I can literally land hundreds of hits on opponents for a period of 5 minutes and not get a single kill. Battles with warriors are the worst. It feels like there is really no way to kill them. In fact, this is of great concern since 3 out of every 4 players in PvP is a warrior. I used to leave the game when I saw that and find a different game. But this time I changed games about a dozen times over a half hour before I finally played one, and they were all the same.... 3-4 warriors on each side, a rogue here and there, and maybe one other mage besides myself. It was all warriors. It used to take 15-20 hits to kill a warrior, but now I'm thinking it may take 50. And of course there is no way to survive that long.

It did not feel like warriors were hitting any less hard than before. Once that windmill started going I would become stunned and that was all. No way to escape it. Rogues don't one-hit me anymore. Now they just take about 80% of my health on that first shot. And so I can usually beat them as I'm able to stun them after that time and finish them off. So my 4 kills were all rogues. But the warriors I was not able to kill, not even once.

I'm going to play some more today, but if this continues I guess I will just go back to PvE and forget about PvP. It's a shame because I need the PvP achievements to compete for top sorcerer. Maybe I'll just concentrate on PvE kills and get a flag for that leaderboard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

As a level 26 warrior in full capped gear I can honestly say i've been beat by a sorcerer. With the stun lock/push system he beat me pretty soundly. It was a good exchange if i got within range, he was toast, but if he could push me back stun lock me, I was a gonner. I feel PvP is pretty balanced. Ask around to the top PvP sorcerers and find one that will teach you that trick lol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    259 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jackyll View Post
    As a level 26 warrior in full capped gear I can honestly say i've been beat by a sorcerer. With the stun lock/push system he beat me pretty soundly. It was a good exchange if i got within range, he was toast, but if he could push me back stun lock me, I was a gonner. I feel PvP is pretty balanced. Ask around to the top PvP sorcerers and find one that will teach you that trick lol.
    because you are alone, 1v1 with that mage but the Topic Starter stated that each game he joins their are 3-4warriors holdinghands like BFFs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    301 Posts

Yah, what you say is true, I need to make a new "my newest thoughts on PvP" also, I think I will soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

It is TEAM based PvP. No one, including me, can go heads up agianst another team mobbing together. You're not Superman, so because you get killed by a mob don't come on forums complaining. When I see a team mobbing together i move away, come up behind (this is where sorcerers and rogues will be) and take them out. OR push through the warrior and get to them. You have to THINK and adapt in PvP, you can't just run in and think you're gonna win.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

come up behind
    Dang, did I read that right? o.o

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Infrico:992878
    come up behind
    Dang, did I read that right? o.o
    Yep, come up from behind....err.......shush rico you know what i'm saying lol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

It is TEAM based PvP. No one, including me, can go heads up agianst another team mobbing together. You're not Superman, so because you get killed by a mob don't come on forums complaining. When I see a team mobbing together i move away.....
    Sorcerers are too slow to move away. If there are any warriors in that mob, they will just make a big jump, sometimes even over a wall, and then I will become stunned long before they are even near me. Warriors have incredible range. Their swords are about 50 feet long, while I can only shoot my fireball about 40 feet. So unless they mess up I am dead. Furthermore, even if I manage to stun them with a fireball, and then I keep running, when they come out of the stun 2.5 seconds later they can still always catch up to me if they choose to and then stun me. Basically there is no way to win that battle for me unless the warrior has really crappy gear or does not know what he is doing at all.

And BTW, I was in a situation multiple times (before and after the update) where myself and another sorcerer were trapped in the spawn room by one warrior by himself, and it was still a losing cause as he was able to beat us both pretty easily.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Sorc are the hardest class to play solo, that is true. In a group they are pretty much the best because of the DPS/aoe/crowdcontrol/heals. If/when they expand to a more open format (no walls, further camera angles) and people roll together in groups sorcs are going to be awesome.
    Picosecond(26)/Nanowire(10)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

So I played for about another hour. I kept popping in and out of games whenever I would see more than 2 warriors on the other team. After about an hour of searching for a game, I found a game where the other team consisted of a warrior, 3 rogues and a mage. Our team was myself and 4 rogues. So only 1 warrior overall which was awesome. The result in that game was I had about 25 kills and 4 flags and we won. I can still take out a rogue most of the time.

And BTW, when fighting a rogue it doesn't seem like much has changed since the update. They can still one-hit me on occasion (only some very powerful rogues I guess) and I have 2600 health. But most of the time with that initial hit they will only take around half of my health, and then I can stun them, health myself, and then chop them down. In the end I'd say I can beat most rogues about 75% of the time. I actually think they would do better if they respec (the way I did) for more health and slightly less damage. I think instead they only concentrate on damage and mana, and their health is really low so they are pretty squishy.

There are some rogues who will take me out most of the time though, so I think the reason I win over most rogues is simply that I have top gear and they don't, which is what you would expect. So I don't think there is much of a balancing issue here. I think the issue goes back to warriors. If they only nerf a warriors range but leave everything else, that would probably fix the problem. The actual range should match the visual, meaning if I can't see the sword near me, then they didn't hit me. The way it is now the sword visually appears so far away, yet somehow I get hit and killed anyway. That's not how it should be.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

It takes a sorcerer 2-3 spells + an auto hit or two to down a rogue so it's not hard. Our dodge is overrated and we actually don't dodge as much as we should.

Most mages complain about their class being underpowered which is true but you're asking for a buff in a 5v5 game. It's really too hard to balance things perfectly in a 5v5 game...
    If let's say they increased your hp/armor/damage then your class might be the new "OP".

What STS has to work on is changing the rules & game mechanics to fix this this issue...perhaps the warrior shield buff cannot be applied on an ally or the effect will only heal the ally and not make them invincible.
    Perhaps you cannot receive an invicibility buff

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

O and nerf the windmill...it's hitting more than my aimshot atm. Fought multiple warriors who I could not even get close to in a fight b/c theyd 1 hit me constantly.
    Takes me 1200 mana to down a warrior in a 1v1 situation whereas if I make 1 mistake and get close they kill me.

Which brings me to another issue, skills play an important factor in pvp but rogues are the only class that run out of mana constantly.
    When this happens we have 2 options: 1. run away from the battle to regen mana or find a mana pack (which isn't good sportmanship) 2. suicide and die so we get our mana back

Warriors have infinite mana with that 1 skill while mages usually die before they use up all their mana.
    So i'm proposing 2 solutions.
    1. Give our medpacks a mana boost or higher regen capability because I see this as discrimination and unequality.
    2. Nerf the mana regen skill on warrior then we won't have to worry about warriors spamming windmill and skysmash 25/7.
    Tbh #2 would be a better solution then mages would stand more of a chance and be more useful. Warriors would still be as OP but they'd have to fight smartly and not constantly spam their skills whenever available.

Lady_Pebbles

I agree 100% with Gundamsone and Ene.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

The only reason rogues run out of mana so fast is because there are almost no cooldown times in skills, so you can essentially keep shooting aimed/nox ect. Until something hits and move on, but if it doesn't or it's timed wrong then yeah, you're toast. But thats with every class. And the warriors Vengful Blood, the restores mana and buffs, has a LONG cooldown time. So we can't abuse it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

So I played for a few more hours today. There results are this:

90 kills, 210 deaths

Before the update I was running about 2/1 ratio, so this is rather disappointing.

I think the big issue is the range the warriors have. I have no problem with rogues having that great range since they are supposed to be quick, fast and have the great leaping ability. But when they leap at me, I have a chance to fight them off, stun them, and even kills them. But when a warrior can reach out and hit me from 50 feet away, there is no way to fight against that. Don't nerf the warriors damage, nerf the reach.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

The only reason rogues run out of mana so fast is because there are almost no cooldown times in skills, so you can essentially keep shooting aimed/nox ect. Until something hits and move on, but if it doesn't or it's timed wrong then yeah, you're toast. But thats with every class. And the warriors Vengful Blood, the restores mana and buffs, has a LONG cooldown time. So we can't abuse it
    VB with 25% upgrade lasts 12.5 sec. CD is 30 sec. That's 17.5 sec without VB (CD starts right after you cast, not when the skill ends). 12.5/17.5 ratio is not bad at all.

Also, you can spam all of your skills in that 17.5 CD and not run out of mana.

4 SS = 205 mana
    2 WW = 120 mana
    2 Hor = 82 mana
    Total = 407 mana

And then you VB and you're back to full. What warrior doesn't have more than 407 mana?

Edited calculations...got CD times on some skills wrong.
    Last edited by bluotaku; 03-04-2013 at 02:22 AM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to bluotaku For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Well I just had to play 2 more hours to get the 10 more kills I needed for 2600. Pretty said. Must have died 50 times in that time. It's a struggle for sorcerers. I have the best gear too. I can't imagine what it must be like for those who don't, or for a level 25 sorcerer. I see sorcerers walking around town who got records of like 15 kills, 250 losses and I laugh, but I'm guessing that is somewhat average for a sorcerer who's not a pro.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Once you see warrior,stun and run LOL

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SouLBlizzard View Post
    Once you see warrior,stun and run LOL
    Problem is mages run like an old man with a bad back and warriors run like usain bolt. LOL

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

True.When the windmill is used it can minus a lot of health,especially when crit.Sometimes it might one hit kill someone