Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Official Alien Oasis 3: Trials of the Overlord Feedback Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Diz-
    I am NOT a farmer and I don't want to be a farmer.

Yes, it IS a bad thing. I only bought the elixirs for fighting the overlord. It's a money drain that we should not HAVE to do... It's not a health pot...but having to use the crazy amount of health pots in AO3 is ridiculous too... We should never have to spend more on health & mana pots than what we make playing IF we are good players in a level-appropriate campaign.

If you want the game to just be farmers, then fine...
    I guess the farmers will have to buy from each other because most of the non-farmers will be out I don't want to farm. I like to play for my gear. If I buy things, they're usually for alt chars..

I love playing with you Diz... You are so much fun... I just happen to have a different take on this...

Maybe I'm like HotnDots... Maybe I should accept that the game isn't for me anymore...
    Last edited by Furrawn; 10-06-2010 at 01:09 AM.
    Generally speaking, a howling wilderness does not howl: it is the imagination of the traveler that does the howling. ~ Thoreau
    FURRAWN 45 Paladin ButterflyPoet 45 pure dex ScarlettOHara 45 Intbear Jeannedarc 22 Mage Trickortreat lvl 22 100% pure organic chicken Christmastree 13 Mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I'm not talking about farming, I'm just talking about killing the boss to get through the level.

I'm not saying AO3 is perfect. But it's the closest thing to come out so far to the perfect level, and with everyone complaining I'm afraid that it will be nerfed and we will have another walk through hack n slash.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Most of the folks I know who have enough money to play and level their chars to 50 are farmers...

As a paladin, the cost to fight, survive, and take care of my team was over 40K between yesterday and today.
    I bought a campaign that I can't afford to play.

Like I said, maybe I just need to stop playing... I'm one of the few who seems unhappy. Most of you on the forums are saying how perfect AO3 is... If you all think AO3 is perfect, then the problem is mine... I should accept that and stop playing.
    Generally speaking, a howling wilderness does not howl: it is the imagination of the traveler that does the howling. ~ Thoreau
    FURRAWN 45 Paladin ButterflyPoet 45 pure dex ScarlettOHara 45 Intbear Jeannedarc 22 Mage Trickortreat lvl 22 100% pure organic chicken Christmastree 13 Mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Nooooo dont stop...lol ill buy your potions for you! You just gotta take boss's in certain ways so only the tanks have to use pots. dw after a little while people will start figuring it all out and it will become fun for you again
    [ENG] Cyronius - 30 [OP] Cyronios - 25 [COM] Cyronias - 11
    Yes, I'm a ninja

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Also, I love the fact that other classes are important now, a mages rez is reallly important, and without at LEAST one archer in you group you'll be there for hours trying to get the boss down
    [ENG] Cyronius - 30 [OP] Cyronios - 25 [COM] Cyronias - 11
    Yes, I'm a ninja

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I disagree with most things. Mages-birds 1 shotted by overlord with tank pots and manashield dizko u like it bcuz TANKS SURVIVE and ur a str bird so u live.. Even my pally gets own I like azreals idea on the overlord more hp less damage doesn't 1 shot I want to be able to participate in killing the overlord.....

Price i like worth 20p and The looks of the pvp maps that's watt we should be playing on that type of scenery havnt checked it out yet guys go check it out looks awesome that's what we should be playing on..

Weapons all I'm getting is plasma swords lvl 50 with +8 dps.... Compared to my lvl 45 1 really! Like 1 more m/s crit or more damage ! And I killed king of mynas over 50 times getting 10 pinks the rest green and purples with 1-2 worthy pinks nothing new like rift or anything

As a not as wealthy player I agree I need to use elixirs to stay alive... And nightmare and weakness I swear don't work on overlord he still manages to 1 shot me..

5/10 -5 for bosses and loot variety and difficulty I cant join in on overlord fail.. Other bosses I don't mind

I'll rate 6-

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Congrats.. AO3 is hard..but it brought back some part of me that I thought was dead... It brought back memories of the good old days of gaming.. Bravo STS Good job... Haha.. I finally got to tank like a tank and strangers actually came together and think as one unit when we fight the boss (even if it took us forever, but we didn't give up, we talk, we think, we try and try again... until.. we win..)

It's very Hard.. but hell it's way more fun then endless mindless farming.. it's way more rewarding.. and I'm not talking about the loot.. I'm talking about the GOOD feeling you get when you finally kill that bloody fat boss

Bravo, Bravo! STS way to go!!
    [On a Break... Waiting for the next big update...]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yea have to agree, in another *cough* major non-mobile mmo it was VERY common to use heaps of pots/elixers (thanks dumbledore) when running a dungeon when your a little low for the req. lvl or undergeared.

WORKING AS INTENDED PPL (and yea I'm shouting)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Necrobane View Post
    Nooooo dont stop...lol ill buy your potions for you! You just gotta take boss's in certain ways so only the tanks have to use pots. dw after a little while people will start figuring it all out and it will become fun for you again
    Thanks, Necro...
    You say that because you're my friend But, it isn't your responsibility to keep me in potions. The failure is mine. And Furrawn often tanks

Jon-
    I have the best gear... And I may not be 50, but 46 is level-appropriate. I can't afford to get to 50. I also refuse to just stay on the boring easy levels. Let's be honest- they look like AO2 and aren't much fun. The fun levels begin at the 5th level. I paid 20P and expect to be able to play the levels now. I don't mind dying... But the cost is ridiculous... I paid twice as much for a campaign I cannot play. I don't need lessons in how to play... It's so unbalanced towards mages and birds that I go through health pots like candy trying to keep my team alive...

Based on the past two days, I'd go through 400 to 500K to reach lvl 50 on one char. I have 200K and two other 45 chars. It would be more cost-effective to buy elixirs for all difficult spots but that feels like cheating to me. Why are elixirs needed now? So I'll spend more plat when I run out of gold for the campaign that cost me twice as much money already? What was wrong with hard that required teamwork & skill? How many of you had to use an elixir? It is NOT a return to the swamp days. In the swamps, if you had strategy and a good team then it was difficult and fun and we made gold when we played which is how it should be... AO3 is made for extremely hardcore players with over a million in gold...

I'm neither of those things. I play daily sometimes for hours... I hit 45 the first night AO2 was out... But I don't play anywhere near as many games as farmers do... I don't sell items either so I only have gold that I make playing...

I'm unwilling to have other players help me out because if I need help and they don't then clearly I've become an epic fail at the game...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default My take

For 20 platinum, I feel like we got bent over for AO3. It has a very recycled feel to it. There are some nice pieces of loot, but its mainly the same, and the difference between the 45 version and the 50 version sucks. My 45 Mynas Isis helm is exactly the same as the 50 version, except for ONE lousy armor point.

After joining a LOT of fail groups, I will revisit the thought that there should be a heroic mode. Make an easier mode of the dungeons for leveling 45-50, and have it drop all the recycled 50 version of gear, but up the stats slightly. Heroic mode could be an option for players who have reached level 50, and these dungeons would drop the new gear, but make sure and bump all those stats slightly as well, so that nothing in normal mode would be better than heroic mode.

I managed to beat "This Ends Now" by getting into a pre-made group of friends that had an open slot. Since then, no group I've joined has gotten close to beating Overlord. People give up too soon, and groups usually fall apart. This is not fun for me. I was kicked out of a group because I was unwilling to use a tank elixir. I fear that the current system will cause many players to quit the game.

I play my class very well, and yet since I have no skilled friends, I am forced to be a 2nd rate player, with my only hopes of getting cool gear being via spending millions of gold. All the while the elite group of players sit back in these forums and claim that everything is fine, so they can gear up and make insane gold by exploiting the majority of people who aren't so lucky. I enjoyed AO2 a lot, because EVERYONE had a shot of finding that diamond in the rough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    260 Posts

I got my level 50 version of my existing level 45 Scarab Bow of Horus (the level 45 is actually on loan from bmc95uk). Well, it has exactly the same stats except the damage range is increase by 7. So basically, the hits I am doing now will increase by 7, or 14 if I crit. But I am sure it will be my daily-use bow, since the sunblessed bow has a speed of 1.6, has a DPS rating that is 30 LESS than this bow, and people are actually paying half a million for it. Why? To me it is the Hook Staff of level 50 archery weapons. I'll stick with this scarab bow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snakespeare View Post
    I got my level 50 version of my existing level 45 Scarab Bow of Horus (the level 45 is actually on loan from bmc95uk). Well, it has exactly the same stats except the damage range is increase by 7. So basically, the hits I am doing now will increase by 7, or 14 if I crit. But I am sure it will be my daily-use bow, since the sunblessed bow has a speed of 1.6, has a DPS rating that is 30 LESS than this bow, and people are actually paying half a million for it. Why? To me it is the Hook Staff of level 50 archery weapons. I'll stick with this scarab bow.
    If it has 1.6 speed and still does anywhere near scarab bow DPS, that means it has huge damage. Against high armor foes, or in PvP, a high damage slow speed weapon is preferable in most cases to a fast, lower damage weapon.
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6183&dateline=1275696  601
    Quote Originally Posted by conradin View Post
    To doubt Royce, is to doubt your sanity...
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinkTastical View Post
    Royce is right, You are WRONG. Live with it.

Guardian of Alterra FluffNStuff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Furrawn View Post
    Diz-
    I am NOT a farmer and I don't want to be a farmer.

Yes, it IS a bad thing. I only bought the elixirs for fighting the overlord. It's a money drain that we should not HAVE to do... It's not a health pot...but having to use the crazy amount of health pots in AO3 is ridiculous too... We should never have to spend more on health & mana pots than what we make playing IF we are good players in a level-appropriate campaign.

If you want the game to just be farmers, then fine...
    I guess the farmers will have to buy from each other because most of the non-farmers will be out I don't want to farm. I like to play for my gear. If I buy things, they're usually for alt chars..

I love playing with you Diz... You are so much fun... I just happen to have a different take on this...

Maybe I'm like HotnDots... Maybe I should accept that the game isn't for me anymore...
    I really really wanted to agree with you Furrawn but I can't. You have been playing for a long time, but I fear the oldies may have short memory. Let's go back to the original swamp days, when Level 35 was the cap and the swamps were HARD, especially for mages.
    I was a pure AOE mage at the time, and I loved the swamps, but I was SPAMMING mana pots like crazy because there was no decent mana or health regen equip till you hit level 35. Before I would go into a campaign, every time I would pick up a 100 pack of mana pots for ~1500 gold~. I would blow threw these like crazy and would in no way earn enough gold to replace. So after a while I would have to go back to forest haven and farm gold. Once I hit 35, I was able to get the better equipment, and go back and fight earning gold in the swamps, building up money to finance my next characters trips through.
    Now, we pretty much have the same issue again. Our characters do not have the equipment needed to survive in the levels until we get to 50. So we dump ~1500 gold~ into armor pots, and are buying the 100 packs of health pots again, now that the crazy regen that has kept us from needing them is not cutting it. And you mention having 200K in the bank. Did you have anywhere NEAR that amount when you were doing the swamps. (You might have, but I never topped 50K till AO1).
    So the point here is that the armor / attack pots should just be considered part of the game like the health and mana. A lot of games have 'wear and tear' on your equipment, so fighting and farming require you to repair them. You can consider this a game tax on playing to keep the amount of money in game from spiraling out of control.
    OH, AND DON"T YOU DARE QUIT!!! Would miss you!

The Hundred Acre Legends:
    HunnySniper - HunnyStorm
    Please Fill out the End Game Pet Survey!|||||| What's With that Shield Icon?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I was crazy excited for ao3 but my optimistic additude has dropped. For 20p I thought this was going to be this awesome new expirience that had way sweet levels that we have never seen before. Instead we got levels with blue paint splashed everywhere.

I am happy with most bosses like gurgox. The fact that it takes strategy to kill him is awesome. Took my group a long time to kill him. Although i havent been able to kill the overlord yet. But when you need to spend money on elixers to stay alive (which if you are a archer or Mage you probably will still die) it's ridiculous. I consider myself a more hardcore player but I think this is over the top. Those yellow minions are one shotting everyone that isn't a tank. I often join groups that has no tanks and if it does the tank is terrible. Everyone walks in and there's not even a boss and you have 4 people saying Rez. I know it takes strategy and I love that, plan it out. But without a good tank you are screwed. I personally love playing on my archer the most. I don't want to have to ditch him for my tank because my bird can't survive. I have played with good players and it makes a big difference but this is no longer pick up and play for 5 minutes. 5 minutes will get you through one small mob. I like a challenge but this is to much for casual players. I think it needs to be more balanced. I have already spent 40k and I have Only played a few hours. For 20p I thought this was going to be mind blowing but it just seems like splashed paint and a lot of old pinks.
    Tavore - lvl 50 archer Kravore - lvl 45 - str bear Zirin - lvl 22 Mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    260 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FluffNStuff View Post
    So the point here is that the armor / attack pots should just be considered part of the game like the health and mana.
    Can't agree with this. It has to be possible without the "special" elixirs.

Guardian of Alterra FluffNStuff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snakespeare View Post
    Can't agree with this. It has to be possible without the "special" elixirs.
    Then the problem might be calling the elixirs special. I would LOVE to see a level 30 mage get through the old swamps (or possibly the new swamps, but no FN gear) using NO ~special~ mana pots. I really think the main problem is that we have all been so over powered for too long and not needing to burn through any gold to get through levels that this has become such an issue.

The Hundred Acre Legends:
    HunnySniper - HunnyStorm
    Please Fill out the End Game Pet Survey!|||||| What's With that Shield Icon?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    260 Posts

I actually play the way Futumsh recommended; I generally stick to one level at a time until I advance to the next. So, in short, I play differently. In Swamps, as in AO3, however, I did have help unlocking the levels at first. But, I'll let you know. I'm pretty sure I can do each map as I advance each level... and NOT use those overpriced elixirs, which I, too, eschew out of sheer pride.

18.   This is the last Dev post in this thread.   #98
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,037 Posts

Fantastic feedback... We are still listening, and watching, and playing. It is obviously controversial and divides the hard-core and the casual, but we'll get it worked out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I have been playing a little more and it seems to be growing on me. Although I have been more focused on leveling and still have yet to fight the overlord. Haven't fought to many bosses recently but have been seeing better groups. I'd like to apologize if anything I said ever seemed harsh or anything. I know you Devs work hard and keep up the great work.
    Tavore - lvl 50 archer Kravore - lvl 45 - str bear Zirin - lvl 22 Mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

I agree on some level that elixirs can be part of the game IE used normally and no longer "special". Just the problem of where gold comes from then. I find it quite hard to farm gold at times, and I mean pure raw gold, not via rare items and sell.

I love getting some grey-orange weapons which sell for 150-180 gold. I find it weird how lower end rares sell for lower amounts, and how helmets only sell for 30-ish?