Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Kettle versus Slag stat comparison

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Energizeric View Post
    If you are a warrior with 3800 health, then 3% is equivalient to 114 health, or the same that 11 STR gives you. If you are a sorcerer with 2500 health, then 3% is 75 health which is the same as 7+ STR points. It does make a difference. You don't know how many times in PvP I've been down to 2% health after a rogue aimed shot, but then managed to stun them, heal myself a little, and then chop them down before they recovered from the stun.

The damage reduction values are worthless for PvE. If you are in a pack of mobs and taking say, 500 dps, the 3% will reduce it to a whopping 485 dps. Boss fight, you are taking 1000 hp hits all things being equal you would take 970 hp damage. Yeah, it's a difference, and that would probably mean something if potions had a 20 second cool down or whatever, but since they don't and can be spammed NPC dps is so high that a warrior with 4k hp and 1100 armor can go splat faster than he can spam potions---please, someone show me how 3% makes any practical difference outside of number on a calculator.

The value Shiloh had of 12% was fine..STS argument that it would be unbalancing was utterly ridiculous because the same argument could be made for flat damage % increase pets..15% more damage at 31 is going to be substantially more than at level 16. Additionally, if higher DR values were so unbalancing why can the elixirs still be purchased?
    <Khylara 41 Rogue> The Collective

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Khylan View Post
    The damage reduction values are worthless for PvE. If you are in a pack of mobs and taking say, 500 dps, the 3% will reduce it to a whopping 485 dps. Boss fight, you are taking 1000 hp hits all things being equal you would take 970 hp damage. Yeah, it's a difference, and that would probably mean something if potions had a 20 second cool down or whatever, but since they don't and can be spammed NPC dps is so high that a warrior with 4k hp and 1100 armor can go splat faster than he can spam potions---please, someone show me how 3% makes any practical difference outside of number on a calculator.
    Unless you have zero deaths in PvE, then I have to assume you have died. If you are like me (and most players) then you have died hundreds (maybe thousands?) of times. And I'm sure that some of those times that you died, had you had a 3% damage reduction you would not have died. It may only be a small percentage of those deaths, but I'm sure it is true for some of them. Sometimes you get hit and have only 2% of your health left and you are able to spam a couple of pots and heal yourself, where as if you had 3% less health you would have died.

Would that make a huge difference in the life of your character? Maybe, and maybe not. There is no way to know. Maybe the time you died right before your party beat the boss, you would have dropped that gold chest that had the arcane hooks in them. Maybe not. No way to know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Energizeric View Post
    Unless you have zero deaths in PvE, then I have to assume you have died. If you are like me (and most players) then you have died hundreds (maybe thousands?) of times. And I'm sure that some of those times that you died, had you had a 3% damage reduction you would not have died. It may only be a small percentage of those deaths, but I'm sure it is true for some of them. Sometimes you get hit and have only 2% of your health left and you are able to spam a couple of pots and heal yourself, where as if you had 3% less health you would have died.

Would that make a huge difference in the life of your character? Maybe, and maybe not. There is no way to know. Maybe the time you died right before your party beat the boss, you would have dropped that gold chest that had the arcane hooks in them. Maybe not. No way to know.
    That's one way to think of it but people have a choice to use other pets. A 10% dodge pet with other bonuses (such as esteban) might save you from more deaths than the Ripmaw.
    One can say "what if I dodged that attack" but ofc with dodge its like crit, a random variable that you can't fully rely on. Dmg reduction would be comparable to damage % boost.
    I think what people are saying is the 250 plat pets arn't so great. They're just a tad better and in the case of ripmaw there's many cheaper alternatives.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gundamsone View Post
    That's one way to think of it but people have a choice to use other pets. A 10% dodge pet with other bonuses (such as esteban) might save you from more deaths than the Ripmaw.
    One can say "what if I dodged that attack" but ofc with dodge its like crit, a random variable that you can't fully rely on. Dmg reduction would be comparable to damage % boost.
    I think what people are saying is the 250 plat pets arn't so great. They're just a tad better and in the case of ripmaw there's many cheaper alternatives.
    I guess if you don't think they are great don't use em...I personally loved ripmaw, wish it had more str, but the mana regean helped me to put more passive in other areas because int....also energen I would venture to say this is true in pvp too, u know how many times im at 1-2% of life and have time to use horn and recover.... I might have been dead lol....I still would like to see a str, dam, armor, health pet, warriors drean...ans to be fair rouge xould have dex crit dodge int..also mentioned esteban I wish just have pasives change as they level pw ts get new arcane at level 30, might change some of these worthless pets like snoball......that was a pretty penny yet is worthless, and well I dress like Santa I want my snoball lol
    Last edited by Darko; 03-27-2013 at 03:48 PM.
    Darko GM of Vengeance | Darkfury Operative | Darkmyth Operative | Darkstone Engineer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Khylan View Post

The value Shiloh had of 12% was fine..STS argument that it would be unbalancing was utterly ridiculous because the same argument could be made for flat damage % increase pets..15% more damage at 31 is going to be substantially more than at level 16. Additionally, if higher DR values were so unbalancing why can the elixirs still be purchased?
    Reduce damage is armor, therefore you add 3% to armor percentage.

3%+armor percentage= overall damage blocked.

E.g, 3%+15%=18% blocked

Slag is made for boosting and dealing damage. It has better passiveS and aoe damage/stun arcane resulting in faster runs.
    Last edited by X29798; 03-30-2013 at 07:48 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts

His arcane ability isn't all that great IMO. I've been testing it (he's lvl 20 now), the AoE damage appears to be the same as a normal attack. It's nice that it's AoE but an extra 50-100 damage isn't that substantial. The panic (stun) thing... I'm not sure I've ever see it go off (and I've done dailys using just slag and his arcane). I think it might have gone off once, but that could have been lag. Clyde I have, and I've seen his go off (about 20% chance), but slag I'm not seeing it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Valsacar View Post
    His arcane ability isn't all that great IMO. I've been testing it (he's lvl 20 now), the AoE damage appears to be the same as a normal attack. It's nice that it's AoE but an extra 50-100 damage isn't that substantial. The panic (stun) thing... I'm not sure I've ever see it go off (and I've done dailys using just slag and his arcane). I think it might have gone off once, but that could have been lag. Clyde I have, and I've seen his go off (about 20% chance), but slag I'm not seeing it.
    Actually, I liked the AOE dmg. It's damage over time and can apparently hit any number of enemies in its large range. As compared to other pets I'd say it's pretty decent, especially for a large group of mobs.

I do agree with the stun part though. Clyde seems to stun far more often as compared to Slag.

The big let down is the annoyingly long cooldown time though.

And for all doubters of my rockstar status:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    U rok, thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts

That's the problem, the damage it does compared to it's cool down makes it just... eh. As it is, it's something I hit if I remember, not something I feel the need to use (compared to say, Colton or Clyde where I need to pay attention because it's really useful).

Either drop the cool down to 15 sec, or make the damage double (as I said, right now it appears to be his normal attack damage, so double normal attack).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

take your slags out to palm or harbor, reef.. any of those maps.. kills bosses windups
    seriously great pet when you got a team with them doing those tough maps

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts

I have noticed that, but is it every time or just when it panics? I generally solo palm, so normally a bit too busy to pay attention.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

suppose its the panic arcane, its chance i'd say is 50/50
    works on bosses too!
    great pet currently at 24.. in tombs now (:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Samhayne View Post
    The design team is trying to keep things interesting without throwing out balance with the kitchen sink.
    I'm still waiting for the Kitchen Sink...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think shortening the arcane cooldown might help a bit

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

I used him when i got him today Slag and did his arcane and burn damage was a ton of zeros . I'm not liking sloth one bit. Please power him up and give him shorter cool down and 5 more str.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Am I the only one that notice that slag has better stats than hammerjaw as in str/dex/int and damage?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cuteandsmexy View Post
    Am I the only one that notice that slag has better stats than hammerjaw as in str/dex/int and damage?
    hammerjaw indeed needs a buff

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts

Don't know about all math thingy...
    But it does looks like upgraded red Kettle.

And I agree it's stun works good everywhere.. (I was in pvp as warrior. Three slag vs 4 warriors. They stun like crazy...)

So sadly I am considering purchasing slag for my mage. (Or warrior. Maybe both. Sigh.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Samhayne View Post
    Slag the Fire Elemental's Arcane Ability also has a chance to panic enemies and is pretty solid aoe damage. Just throwing that out there as well. The design team is trying to keep things interesting without throwing out balance with the kitchen sink. We'll see how interested people are with Slag when he goes on sale.
    Solid aoe damage? Are you joking lol and what's the deal with him not learning any new passive/arcane abilities as he levels up and the panic lasts a whole 2 seconds yeah awesome pet. Your talking about balance? Warriors have 1 30+str pet mages have 2 30+ int yeah don't throw the kitchen sink.
    Ign - slashyroth

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

a buff for his arcane dmg slightly would make him nice..
    though his panic is still great on bosses, evn if it is two seconds

-just a bit mire dmg arcane buff considering the cool down and all would be wonderful

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Slashiroth View Post
    Solid aoe damage? Are you joking lol and what's the deal with him not learning any new passive/arcane abilities as he levels up and the panic lasts a whole 2 seconds yeah awesome pet. Your talking about balance? Warriors have 1 30+str pet mages have 2 30+ int yeah don't throw the kitchen sink.
    Stop whining. Warriors only benefit from strength while every class benefits from strength. Secondary stats like dex is pretty much useless for a warrior. We get no damage and a full dex build (150 dex) gives a whopping 9% dodge....whooppeeee....