Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: I don't like that I can't get the best items without some investment

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by McBain View Post
    How's the weather up there on your high horse?
    I don't think it's a high horse at all. I'm talking about $5 a month. I find it VERY hard to believe that someone can afford a phone/tablet/computer to play these games plus a data plan/wif and they can't come up with $5 a month. U go to mcdonalds or anywhere else to eat once a month? That costs more than what we're talking about here. Even if ur a teenager and ur parents can somehow afford the phone/tablet/computer and data plan/wifi but can't swing $5 a month for the game then get out and cut someone's grass or do something to come up with $5 a month. If u plan on going to watch a movie then skip it and u have almost 2 months of the subscription (almost 4 months of subscription if you were going to get popcorn and a coke also).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    97 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    Hey guys, we love these games, as much or more than you do. We always do what we think is best for the games as a whole, even though it may not seem like it to you.

Regarding this thread, really no need to insult developers. You can play the entire game without paying a cent, in fact many many people do.
    I agree with you sir. Even though I didn't help the developers by paying plats because I cant afford to do so, I still am able to refer some rich friends who are addicted to mmorpgs and willing to pay some amounts. I'm not paying yet still hook up with the game because I effort myself in farming and merching. And to those who are insulting devs because they just don't care with the community nah ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vePaOAey2AA .. may you be enlightened.
    ^ Battle Dragons IGN

Et tu, brute?

Guardian of Alterra CrimsonTider's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wvhills View Post
    I don't think it's a high horse at all. I'm talking about $5 a month. I find it VERY hard to believe that someone can afford a phone/tablet/computer to play these games plus a data plan/wif and they can't come up with $5 a month. U go to mcdonalds or anywhere else to eat once a month? That costs more than what we're talking about here. Even if ur a teenager and ur parents can somehow afford the phone/tablet/computer and data plan/wifi but can't swing $5 a month for the game then get out and cut someone's grass or do something to come up with $5 a month. If u plan on going to watch a movie then skip it and u have almost 2 months of the subscription (almost 4 months of subscription if you were going to get popcorn and a coke also).
    I think STS would lose money going this route. (Though I agree with you.) The subscription would eliminate addictive/spontaneous buying. Would also eliminate the younger crowds/new players as the "pay-per-play" title causes people to run. The problem STS has is when plat usage increased in PL, it became an immediate necessity for their other titles instead of doing gradual implementation like PL.
    CrimsonTider::Astuteness::Crim::CrimzonTider::IBec kon::Houndstooth
    WreckzNEffect::Intuitive::Kinesiology::Crimagical: :Killtastrophe::SsgtSlaughter::Transfixion
    Arrownaut::Crimtacular::Funkdified::CrimJr

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

It's not a matter of how much it costs and/or being able to afford it. Maybe go back and read your previous post again to see why I wrote what I did.
    PL: Seucheky
    SL: McBain
    DL: ArethaFanglin
    AL: McBain, Seucheky

5.   This is the last Dev post in this thread.   #85
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,092 Posts

While I can see your point, wvhills, it has been shown with numerous examples that the free-to-play business model is generally more interesting than the subscription model.

Mcbain - that probably wasn't the most friendly of posts. Thanks for keeping it friendly in the future.
    | | | |

Need help? Please visit our Support Website at http://support.spacetimestudios.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    97 Posts

This is just for America. What about here in the philippines? Think of it.
    ^ Battle Dragons IGN

Et tu, brute?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    260 Posts

The price of F2P is that players who pay get better stuff. So if you want to play without paying, accept that you will have lesser gear.

The benefit of F2P is that their are plenty of people to play with.

I think it was a good decision to go F2P.

BUT... the one thing I do not like is the use of pseudo-randoms where real money is concerned. The law of averages can't be trusted. I remember buying a couple dozen gamble packs in DL once with no success.

I realy feel that, if someone is spending that plat, their chances should increase the more they spend. After all, they are the ones supporting the game for the rest of us. They should get something for it.

In behavior studies they could get a pigeon to peck a red dot if food appeared. Then they stopped giving the food and it kept pecking it. But eventually it stopped and then was not interested in pecking the dot anymore. So the trick is to know how often to give it food so it keeps pecking the dot.

I think an accumulating increased chance, maybe even as low as .1%, added to the roll would make sure the guys who open a lot of chests get a little reward so they keep doing it. For example, at .1%, after opening 1000 chests he gets something nice. Then it resets.
    Last edited by Snakespeare; 03-28-2013 at 03:04 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Snakespeare For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

What Jagex (aka Runescape) does for their games is rather genius.
    They keep their f2p servers up and running and they also provide p2p servers for a monthly subscription of $5.
    The highlight of this is that everyone has an equal chance of achieving the same items or other achievements in the game. There is no such thing as "I pay more for this game so I get more"
    Another highlight is p2p players are allowed to play on the same servers as f2p players however any p2p items taken into a f2p server will have stats reduced to 0.

I'm not saying this game should go subscription based, but many huge mmos follow this business model and many players accept this.
    The biggest problem I see with this game is the stuff coming from watch crates as many people have given up farming as they now rely on watch crates as a means of earning money. Ofc the downside is you're gambling away your plat and you're not guaranteed to make money (for most people) but players do not accept this outcome and feel like they deserve something back for the amount spent. I can't really suggest anything STS can do do compensate these players or fix this problem b/c in the end as many devs have said, this game is absolutely playable for "FREE"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Samhayne View Post
    While I can see your point, wvhills, it has been shown with numerous examples that the free-to-play business model is generally more interesting than the subscription model.

Mcbain - that probably wasn't the most friendly of posts. Thanks for keeping it friendly in the future.
    It's always friendly with me! (hence the ) Apologies if anyone takes anything I say the wrong way. Wasn't my intention.
    Last edited by McBain; 03-28-2013 at 04:09 PM.
    PL: Seucheky
    SL: McBain
    DL: ArethaFanglin
    AL: McBain, Seucheky

11. The Following User Says Thank You to McBain For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

A pay-to-play model is definitely not the way to go. the main, huge reason that i like sts is because i can play completely for free and i can get free plat. I don't give out credit/debit card info online and i doubt that i ever will. The games are targeted a bit toward children (pl especially), how would they pay a $5 monthly fee? Would their parents let them? I doubt it. Even though i don't play AL, i can see that these "crates" are a huge problem. I suggest removing them immediately and using PL as a basis. Stuff that you absolutely need in pl do not require plat, but stuff that makes your play time a HECK of a lot better require plat. Key items should always be free in a game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Most of the players who populate AL do not play it that many hours and probably would not keep playing if there was a subscription fee as they are probably not very attached to this particular game. Most of us hardcore types would keep playing and pay the subscription fee, but the game would seem empty because everyone else would be gone. And so it would become less interesting for us too. That is the problem with subscription.

The Castle That Never Was, with my Shadowstar and Eternal Frost, also with Ebonine.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    368 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oskitopee View Post
    A pay-to-play model is definitely not the way to go. the main, huge reason that i like sts is because i can play completely for free and i can get free plat. I don't give out credit/debit card info online and i doubt that i ever will. The games are targeted a bit toward children (pl especially), how would they pay a $5 monthly fee? Would their parents let them? I doubt it. Even though i don't play AL, i can see that these "crates" are a huge problem. I suggest removing them immediately and using PL as a basis. Stuff that you absolutely need in pl do not require plat, but stuff that makes your play time a HECK of a lot better require plat. Key items should always be free in a game.
    Yeah, here, only the BEST gear (most of) comes from the crates, or the elite pirate chests. The oracle gun is from crate. And Sealord. And mythic. And arcane.

All for One, and One for All!
    The Brightest of Flames..cast the Darkest of Shadows..
    One who knows nothing cannot understand anything..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

well with a p2p model/subsciption model : you would need real depth in the game to attract and retain players. I believe, in the genre of mobile mmorpg, this would dissuade a lot of people as content is naturally not as broad or indepth as traditional mmorpgs.

Its the addictive part of games that makes ppl stay. I like it when I can just login after a month of so (or whenever I want ) without paying anything. I like to be in control of what and where I spend my money on instead of being forced a subscription fee.

You can get the best items in AL. Just join a guild, make friends lvl cap together and farm elites.. Yes things are random (ie drops and chest) But hey, at least you know its random and you have a chance to get it. Life is full of randomness too.

Many of us have bought the biggest plat package in AL ie roughly $80 buck. That is more than traditionally what you pay for a game. But considering STS has to maintain the servers and pay for development cost, they need to continue to innovate and introduce ways to monetize their contents.. If they introduced new content and features, AND YOU LIKE IT, then you spend, else you can NOT SPEND and still play this game. That is the beauty of the titles STS carry.

I believe with the money they are making from the crates, it will
    1) lead to better content from STS
    2) make them continuously innovate on new things to balance up paying and non-paying players

I SAY THIS BECAUSE they have been doing this since 2010. They are here to stay and I must say their track record has proven them to be one of the best developers whom listens to their community.

Though I must say, STS must decide on which route they are going with AL in terms of elite maps. They have to stick to their guns or watch their players leave. I think during the lvl 21 cap, elites were easy and fun.. especially elite jarl. But come lvl 26 , i think most were put off with the difficulty. If they decide from their numbers, ie excluding crate sales, how much more people were playing and paying when it was easy compared to now, they would get an idea of what their players want from them. Flip flopping from easy to hard and back to easier elite maps has not done anyone any credit.

If I am not wrong, the majority still prefers easier elite maps..But this will come at a cost as plat sales will drop..So this will have to be a fine balancing act which I know its really tough, but the direction that is decided, has to be set clear and announced and adhered to so that players know what to expect. Its like if you have been giving a fish to a cat each day, dont expect them to know how to fish when you dont feed them. They are going to leave you and find a loving,caring cat lover whom will feed them.

Make a stand and attract the correct players to the game and watch it grow. I do hope that AL will grow!

Guardian of Alterra Physiologic's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Just don't eat Taco Bell for about a week and you'll have some more bucks in your pocket to spend in-game.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Physiologic For This Useful Post:

Blogger
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts

Looks like G trolled you.

Sent using blood on a bathroom wall

PL) razerfingers, razer, kinglewi SL) deadspace, razerfingers, sharpshooter DL) trueblood, razerfingers, sharpteeth AL) razer, razerfingers, billionaire, donaldtrump

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

OMG, Physio, are u back?

I mean do u try AL?
    Back in the days I always treasured ur indepth analysis of PL ^_^

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts

Pay to play is not way to go, I just don't understand the business model here. .. people complain about class balance you change it, complain about pet you change it , everybody is complaining about the locked crates and you guys just ignore it. ..like its not there...sts, we do notice being ignored. .... ..its very simple Solution, drop locked crate drop date down, no platinum, make every weapons accessible by farming...drop date is still rare on arcane. . everybody is happy. . Locked crates are ruining auction house. ..Make the best pets cost platinum so you still make money. ..and make achievements consistent. .. achievements for first pets, but not kraken pets? There should be pet achievement. .. (more plat you'll get sts) And how you going to give out an achievment that is impossible to get like hammerjaw... getting lucky on a crate shouldn't propel you in standings. .glacial descent have achievment..this achievement should be wiped.... every achievment should be accessible to everyone. .also, with the amount of kills in al, 50k, 100k achievements. .. and platinum based achievement, 50k pkat...exclusive pet, armor, weapon.....you do stuff like that, no more posts like this, you'll here praise
    Last edited by Darko; 03-29-2013 at 01:37 AM.
    Darko GM of Vengeance | Darkfury Operative | Darkmyth Operative | Darkstone Engineer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Wowsome
    - ZERO plat offers.
    - ZERO plat-paid respecs.
    - ONE plat used -- at elite skull cove for reviving on spot when fighting the boss.

I have a full time job, so saving my money and not gambling it -- that is just my choice. Real life commitments take up most of my time and energy, so I do not aim to have unbeatable PvE records, or to defeat one of the best in PvP, etc. I farm, merch, get decent legendary gear, and try to improve my game. I just play to have fun, and no disappointments so far.

Cheers
    .. RETIRED ..
    L31 PvE & L21 PvP
    ...Arcane Legends

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanee View Post
    I think ima keep playing xbox live Bf3 ya feel me nobody got time for this!
    Add me on xbox?
    Pro pilot in bf3 ^^ ign: itsmagiccNL

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wowsome View Post
    Wowsome
    - ZERO plat offers.
    - ZERO plat-paid respecs.
    - ONE plat used -- at elite skull cove for reviving on spot when fighting the boss.

I have a full time job, so saving my money and not gambling it -- that is just my choice. Real life commitments take up most of my time and energy, so I do not aim to have unbeatable PvE records, or to defeat one of the best in PvP, etc. I farm, merch, get decent legendary gear, and try to improve my game. I just play to have fun, and no disappointments so far.

Cheers
    Yeah me too! We must remember that AL is not a perfect game just like any other.

I'm already satisfied with my gears, pets and level without having to spend real time money ever!

Only concern is that I can't wait for the expansion!!