Thread: Amassing 5m gold or more

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts

Default Amassing 5m gold or more

I see that the new mythic and arcane items are going for 4m gold or more. How are folks amassing enough gold to buy these? 5m is 5,000 plat or about 270 dollars!?
    Montanaguy (16 Warrior) [elite lvl cap: 16; 26; 31] / Montanaman (16 Mage) [16] / Montanadood (16 Rogue) [16]

Guardian of Alterra CrimsonTider's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Montanabro View Post
    I see that the new mythic and arcane items are going for 4m gold or more. How are folks amassing enough gold to buy these? 5m is 5,000 plat or about 270 dollars!?
    Two ways people have the gold:

1. Plat
    2. Sold items like these and were bought by people who used plat for gold.

With the low farming/liquidation rates, anyone who tells you different aren't being truthful.
    CrimsonTider::Astuteness::Crim::CrimzonTider::IBec kon::Houndstooth
    WreckzNEffect::Intuitive::Kinesiology::Crimagical: :Killtastrophe::SsgtSlaughter::Transfixion
    Arrownaut::Crimtacular::Funkdified::CrimJr

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CrimsonTider For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTider View Post

1. Plat

With the low farming/liquidation rates, anyone who tells you different aren't being truthful.
    Crazy that people would spend right around $1,000 for arcane hooks...
    Montanaguy (16 Warrior) [elite lvl cap: 16; 26; 31] / Montanaman (16 Mage) [16] / Montanadood (16 Rogue) [16]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Montanabro View Post
    Crazy that people would spend right around $1,000 for arcane hooks...
    Crazy, yet quite fascinating
    the day the world died I didn't even say goodbye
    Ign: Pocket Legends: WickedKlownz, Cainnblecter, Corpsefarm, Arcane Legends: cainnblecter, traumatized

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    250 Posts

Yes the liquidation price of junk items, the low amounts of gold drops, and the low gold
    reward of quests makes it likely that a lot of the gold out there is from plat sales. Crazy, but
    probably true. That being said you can make lots of money by either farming or merching.
    You farm in the right places and you can get a lucky drop worth 3 mil. The key is capping
    early and farming for end game gear early, or farming a new place with new drops early
    while there is still a demand and prices are still high. Farming at this point in season two
    is not very productive except for in a few select places that are hard to farm without a good
    team.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to drgrimmy For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

1. Plat

Sorry, but this is not correct. I have 10m gold plus I have a mythic helm and lots of other good items. I have never purchased any gold with plat. Also, I only opened about 10-15 locked crates and did not get any good items in any of them. All of my money has come from merching and farming. The only good item I ever got as a drop was my Kraken Skewer of Brutality which I still have, so that did not contribute to how much gold I have. I've gotten a few other items that were worth 100k+, but never an item worth 500k+.

I'd be happy (and would give my permission) to have a developer/STS employee confirm this as they can look up a record of my purchases.

Technically I suppose you could say I purchased 25k gold once because the first week I started playing back in November I purchased the legendary gear pack that had the forerunner gear, some inventory/auction slots, and 25k gold. But other than that my only plat purchases have been plat exclusive pets, some elixirs, and to open a few locked crates which resulted in junk pinks.

What you say may be correct for the majority of players, but not for all of us. It is possible to become very successful in this game without spending lots of plat. Back in November I purchased the 1700 plat pack, and I still have a good amount of that leftover.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Energizeric View Post
    Sorry, but this is not correct. I have 10m gold plus I have a mythic helm and lots of other good items. I have never purchased any gold with plat. Also, I only opened about 10-15 locked crates and did not get any good items in any of them. All of my money has come from merching and farming. The only good item I ever got as a drop was my Kraken Skewer of Brutality which I still have, so that did not contribute to how much gold I have. I've gotten a few other items that were worth 100k+, but never an item worth 500k+.

I'd be happy (and would give my permission) to have a developer/STS employee confirm this as they can look up a record of my purchases.

Technically I suppose you could say I purchased 25k gold once because the first week I started playing back in November I purchased the legendary gear pack that had the forerunner gear, some inventory/auction slots, and 25k gold. But other than that my only plat purchases have been plat exclusive pets, some elixirs, and to open a few locked crates which resulted in junk pinks.

What you say may be correct for the majority of players, but not for all of us. It is possible to become very successful in this game without spending lots of plat. Back in November I purchased the 1700 plat pack, and I still have a good amount of that leftover.
    Re-read what I said. You missed the second point entirely.
    WreckzNEffect::Intuitive::Kinesiology::Crimagical: :Killtastrophe::SsgtSlaughter::Transfixion

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CrimsonTider For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Re-read what I said. You missed the second point entirely.
    Sounds like you're saying that the second way to get rich (besides buying your gold for plat) is to get a drop of an expensive item and then sell to someone who bought their gold for plat. I'm suggesting that I did neither.

If you are saying that most of the gold in the game got there by people buying gold for plat, then that I would agree with. But once the gold was in the game, there are lots of ways to get it without needing plat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I don't know if you're new or not, but it was a lot easier to get a consistent stream of gold coming in before this season. a lot of people may have had a stockpile.

also, the platinum to gold conversion rate is ridiculously low, so I seriously doubt there are too many people out there burning plats to buy gold in large quantities.
    Last edited by elbowroom; 03-30-2013 at 04:14 PM.
    red, white, blue's in the skies. summer's in the air and baby, heaven's in your eyes.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    299 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Energizeric:1030010

1. Plat

Energizeric thats really good amount of money. For not spendin any real $
    Reminds me in PL when i started with zip and accumulated over 100m
    Not so much in AL
    Im jelly
    Good job Eric! Ik u put alot of time and hard work, u deserve it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by elbowroom View Post
    I don't know if you're new or not, but it was a lot easier to get a consistent stream of gold coming in before this season. a lot of people may have had a stockpile.

also, the platinum to gold conversion rate is ridiculously low, so I seriously doubt there are too many people out there burning plats to buy gold in large quantities.
    You must be new to STS. AL has by FAR the best exchange rate. You will probably be shocked when I tell you a lot of people run around PL with multiple 500 plat vanities. (Not a typo.)

Quote Originally Posted by Energizeric View Post
    Sounds like you're saying that the second way to get rich (besides buying your gold for plat) is to get a drop of an expensive item and then sell to someone who bought their gold for plat. I'm suggesting that I did neither.

If you are saying that most of the gold in the game got there by people buying gold for plat, then that I would agree with. But once the gold was in the game, there are lots of ways to get it without needing plat.

The first word after point #2 is "sold." Whether it be through a drop or you merched it (buying low/selling high), in the beginning, you gained this through the gold others had. When you started playing, and I remember you weren't there in the beginning, most everyone got "rich quick" through plat purchases. Many deny, most wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

No life for the first 3 days of every new expansion

1. Get L30
    2. Farm the easiest elite map
    3. Sell golden chests at 200k a pop
    4. repeat x 20 and u got yourself a mythic helm

16. The Following User Says Thank You to gundamsone For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I've been playing since the first day, and I only have 100k. FML
    PL: Seucheky
    SL: McBain
    DL: ArethaFanglin
    AL: McBain, Seucheky

18. The Following User Says Thank You to McBain For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

You must be new to STS. AL has by FAR the best exchange rate. You will probably be shocked when I tell you a lot of people run around PL with multiple 500 plat vanities. (Not a typo.)
    Yeah, the plat-to-gold exchange rate is actually quite high in AL relative to the market. I'm sure there are lots of people buying millions of gold for plat. Or at least they did at the beginning and have been riding on that since.
    PL: Seucheky
    SL: McBain
    DL: ArethaFanglin
    AL: McBain, Seucheky

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

The first word after point #2 is "sold." Whether it be through a drop or you merched it (buying low/selling high), in the beginning, you gained this through the gold others had. When you started playing, and I remember you weren't there in the beginning, most everyone got "rich quick" through plat purchases. Many deny, most wrong.
    Yeah, I use iOS so didn't start playing until about a week after the iOS version was released, and even then I only played a little bit that first couple of weeks. I was still in PL most of the time and was just trying it out. I didn't really start grinding until the second week in December right before the Dead City expansion and just reached 16 cap a few days before the cap was raised to 21.

I never made any money during that first cap, and when Dead City came along I probably had around 5k to my name. Then in Dead City I managed to make a couple million, but spent that on getting the best gear, and I waited too long to sell it at the end, so when Kraken Isles expansion happened I had around 500k to my name. I didn't start merching until the end of the Dead City expansion, and didn't really get the hang of it until this expansion happened and just in the past month is when I've made 95% of my money.

Merching isn't easy. It takes a lot of time, and can be boring at times. Kind of like studying in school. You have to keep watching the auction over and over and through trial and error you eventually learn the buy and sell price points. Once you know those, making money is extremely easy and doesn't take much effort.... Until the next expansion comes along, and then you start the process over.....
    Last edited by Energizeric; 03-30-2013 at 08:53 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Good merchers read the Spacetimestudios Insider Information and forums, every word devs/mod say they pay attention and take action.

Example: When dev/mod announced that they will "fix" Abyssal Flamberge, some players, like Eric here, took advantage and bought some. When the "fix" came, prices rose and Eric became the most happy player at that time.

P.S. Sorry Eric for using you as an example, I maybe wrong, my apologies in advance.