I was doing some, mostly game trials. I came across one 2 months ago on there I think it was called education+ or something similar.
Anyways, they asked for info and stupid me,, I filled out my phone #.
I get calls from telemarketers from all over the country 3-5 times a day, every day ever since, offering student loans (for an application fee), education grants (also for a fee), alternative schooling courses ect. Ect. Ect.
Pretty sure they just sell your contact info if you give it to them to complete the offer.

I won't touch any of those free plat offers anymore, except those 1 or 2 plat game trial ones that have always been safe for me, but never the "looks like a company and not a game developer" ones. And then only the ones from reputable developers with good rates on the market for their games.

I am checking them all out first through the market before a download just in case.

And yeah, i'd never apply for a credit card that I didn't want or need, and I would never take one that is marketing to everyone and anyone, you just know it's going to have an APR of 19-24%, instead I go to a bank or credit union and finding the best APR I know I can get.