Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: recommendations for single player PC game?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    313 Posts

Default recommendations for single player PC game?

I stay away from home a couple nights out of the week for work. I have very limited internet, and I'm looking for a cool single player game to play on my laptop.

What do you guys suggest? I was looking at skyrim , or maybe farcry 3.

What else is worth trying?
    gf.

Tournament & Ladder Leader XghostzX's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,204 Posts

Play Skyrim. I never played it, but I watched my bro play it before when he had it. It's a huge game, and I think it would suit your needs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

L.a. noire. One of my favourites.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,058 Posts

Skyrim. No competition at all.

I bought it immediately to my 360when it was released and I played it today for 4 hours. Game's around 2 and half hears old and it still keeps me extremely entertained. I'v played as an assassin, archer, pure mage, battlemage, paladin, berserker.. Now I made up my own "Dragonborn" build and I'm still working on it. Extremely versatile and just sheer awesomeness.

Dawnguard and Dragonborn dlcs are must haves after finishing main storyline (for being good enough lvled to be able to finish dlcs). Best questlines in any MMOs I've ever played.
    Last edited by dudetus; 04-09-2013 at 05:17 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    313 Posts

Nice.

What class should a nub play?
    gf.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts

Def Skyrim. I love it.

As for classes, you might want a warrior or battle-Mage to start. It's good because they can take a hit until you get your sea-legs.

-------------------
    Sent using spray paint on the city walls.
    Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes! -Billy Connolly

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,058 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Walkhardd View Post
    Nice.

What class should a nub play?
    A total nub? I would say battlemage (mage wearing heavy armor) is the easiest overall. But for a truly effective battle mage u need to have smithing maxed, enchanting maxed and preferrably alchemy maxed. Idea of the battle mage is to enchant ur gear with mage preferred stats, like reducing destruction (=damage dealing magic attacks) spells cost, increasing mana pool etc. Best battlemages are the ones who have enchanted their items to completely erase destruction magic maba cost, and have the best armors in the game. For mages it's preferred to use conjuration magic (summoning things to help u fight battles) so u can just chill and spam spells while ur summoned creature takes the damage. Overall this is the best build in skyrim as it deals big chunk of damage while being able to receive big chunk of damage.

But I myself have liked the most out of "stereotypical" builds an assassin build. Sneak is overpowered in this game and with maxed Sneak u can just crouch past enemies who directly look at u. Bows can deal alongside sneak 3x damage (when u r hidden) which itself is immense. But, sneak attacks with daggers (going behind and enemy and stabbastab) have 15x DAMAGE. Resulting usually in a sweet animated kill for one single stab. And in addition there are gloves in the game which give 2x backtstabbing damage in a total of 30x damage. It can be used to one shot almost every enemy in the game.

Downside of assassin is the squishiness. If u mess up sneaking and get the aggro for mobs around u, u r in a hairy situation. But in a situations like these invisibility potion or invisibility spell (from illusion magic. Recommended for assassins) will save ur butt. And fighting dragons in the middle of nowhere is tough for a beginner as assassins usually rely on sneak attacks and vs dragons sneak attacks are hard to come by. Near a town its ez. Just go in the middle of town and all the citizens will attack the dragon and u can just relax and shoot arrows from a cover pewpew. Even in open ground fighting shelter as an assassin is vital. Hiding behind rocks, trees or anything is essential as dragons hit hard with their fire breath and those mofos usually just fly around u.

Overall Battlemage is the most useful as it is strong in every situation whether fighting a dragon or clearing a dungeon. But casting fireballs gets rly tedious at some point. Assassin is the most fun class but it requires some experience to become truly devastating. Like Birds used to be in PvP in PL.

There are lots of guides especially for assassins. If u care to do some research u can become a decent assassin without breaking a sweat. Battlemage is just fireball spamming.

For the warrior type of classes, Skyrim isn't favorable. Missing the ability to do ranged attacks is devastating as big chunk of damage is made by ranged attacks in skyrim. Ofc u can get a bow for ur warrior but there's nothing more boring than hackn'slashing through the game IMO.

For a srsly immensively totally nub I would recommend a warrior with a bow. Battlemage needs lots of preparations to become actually powerful but it is the most versatile in the end. Assassins are the most fun and needs far less preparation than a battlemage but needs some skill to play and I would recommend at least some research before playing as an assassin.

Ur choice ofc but remember what ever type of character u will choose, ranged attacks are a must have in skyrim. Remember that u dont have to be a stereotypical class in this game. U can be a sneaking mage, mystical archer (archer+ magic), etc. The choice is completely urs and u will find the best way for u to play Skyrim by actually playing the game.

Edit: If u have any specific questions about some builds, enemies or overall questions about Skyrim, just ask away. I have more than decent knowledge about the game and I'm sure I'm able to reply ur Skyrim related questions. Even the funny ones, u know I'm srsly dope.
    Last edited by dudetus; 04-10-2013 at 04:24 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

I have never liked playing Mage in skyrim .. I'm more of a sneaky assassin type of guy with daggers & bow. Assassins are also easy to build if you like being sneaky and getting a killcam almost every time you kill someone
    add me on steam:http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198053834348
    AL ign: Neutronius [War] Pixelcrusher [Rog] Hyperious [Sorc] PL: Prototypedwar [main] (+ a few alts)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    93 Posts

Wow Dudetus you are pretty knowledgable about that game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

Borderlands 2.
    Ign - Who -- My guess is 1837.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,058 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Argyros View Post
    Wow Dudetus you are pretty knowledgable about that game.
    Indeed I am.

Just to feel superior 'cause of my nerdtastic knowledge of Skyrim, tell me what type of a character type u would like Walk and I can make u the build and preferred gears.

And all of this just for the price of a thanks and a praise.

Deal?

Quote Originally Posted by mike1298 View Post
    Borderlands 2.
    Skyrim is 1298 times better.

Get it???
    Last edited by dudetus; 04-10-2013 at 10:16 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    313 Posts

Thanks for the responses. Especially from my fav ninja.

I bought skyrim yesterday at around 4pm, but thanks to steam, didn't get to play it till like 10pm.

Seriously. Wtf. What happened to buying a game, popping it in, installing, and playing? I couldn't remember my steam info. When I finally did, it wouldn't update. I had to search the internet to figure out what the deal was. Figured that out. Then, apparently I have to download a game I bought? (I got this game because I have internet issues)

anywho.. I didn't really get to play much, since I wake up so early for work, but it looks pretty dam good.

I'm not sure I would like a super sneaky build. Is there a viable build that uses both range and melee? Like a bow to pick off enemies, but if I was to get in a close combat situation, I wouldn't have to run like a girl?
    gf.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts

Tomb Raider is absolutely fantastic it's a must have for action-adventure lovers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Fable the lost chapters or Diablo 2

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,058 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Walkhardd View Post
    Thanks for the responses. Especially from my fav ninja.

I bought skyrim yesterday at around 4pm, but thanks to steam, didn't get to play it till like 10pm.

Seriously. Wtf. What happened to buying a game, popping it in, installing, and playing? I couldn't remember my steam info. When I finally did, it wouldn't update. I had to search the internet to figure out what the deal was. Figured that out. Then, apparently I have to download a game I bought? (I got this game because I have internet issues)

anywho.. I didn't really get to play much, since I wake up so early for work, but it looks pretty dam good.

I'm not sure I would like a super sneaky build. Is there a viable build that uses both range and melee? Like a bow to pick off enemies, but if I was to get in a close combat situation, I wouldn't have to run like a girl?
    Sure as I said u can go bow + warrior. I can make u a build for it tomorrow.

Tournament & Ladder Leader XghostzX's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dudetus View Post
    A total nub? I would say battlemage (mage wearing heavy armor) is the easiest overall. But for a truly effective battle mage u need to have smithing maxed, enchanting maxed and preferrably alchemy maxed. Idea of the battle mage is to enchant ur gear with mage preferred stats, like reducing destruction (=damage dealing magic attacks) spells cost, increasing mana pool etc. Best battlemages are the ones who have enchanted their items to completely erase destruction magic maba cost, and have the best armors in the game. For mages it's preferred to use conjuration magic (summoning things to help u fight battles) so u can just chill and spam spells while ur summoned creature takes the damage. Overall this is the best build in skyrim as it deals big chunk of damage while being able to receive big chunk of damage.

But I myself have liked the most out of "stereotypical" builds an assassin build. Sneak is overpowered in this game and with maxed Sneak u can just crouch past enemies who directly look at u. Bows can deal alongside sneak 3x damage (when u r hidden) which itself is immense. But, sneak attacks with daggers (going behind and enemy and stabbastab) have 15x DAMAGE. Resulting usually in a sweet animated kill for one single stab. And in addition there are gloves in the game which give 2x backtstabbing damage in a total of 30x damage. It can be used to one shot almost every enemy in the game.

Downside of assassin is the squishiness. If u mess up sneaking and get the aggro for mobs around u, u r in a hairy situation. But in a situations like these invisibility potion or invisibility spell (from illusion magic. Recommended for assassins) will save ur butt. And fighting dragons in the middle of nowhere is tough for a beginner as assassins usually rely on sneak attacks and vs dragons sneak attacks are hard to come by. Near a town its ez. Just go in the middle of town and all the citizens will attack the dragon and u can just relax and shoot arrows from a cover pewpew. Even in open ground fighting shelter as an assassin is vital. Hiding behind rocks, trees or anything is essential as dragons hit hard with their fire breath and those mofos usually just fly around u.

Overall Battlemage is the most useful as it is strong in every situation whether fighting a dragon or clearing a dungeon. But casting fireballs gets rly tedious at some point. Assassin is the most fun class but it requires some experience to become truly devastating. Like Birds used to be in PvP in PL.

There are lots of guides especially for assassins. If u care to do some research u can become a decent assassin without breaking a sweat. Battlemage is just fireball spamming.

For the warrior type of classes, Skyrim isn't favorable. Missing the ability to do ranged attacks is devastating as big chunk of damage is made by ranged attacks in skyrim. Ofc u can get a bow for ur warrior but there's nothing more boring than hackn'slashing through the game IMO.

For a srsly immensively totally nub I would recommend a warrior with a bow. Battlemage needs lots of preparations to become actually powerful but it is the most versatile in the end. Assassins are the most fun and needs far less preparation than a battlemage but needs some skill to play and I would recommend at least some research before playing as an assassin.

Ur choice ofc but remember what ever type of character u will choose, ranged attacks are a must have in skyrim. Remember that u dont have to be a stereotypical class in this game. U can be a sneaking mage, mystical archer (archer+ magic), etc. The choice is completely urs and u will find the best way for u to play Skyrim by actually playing the game.

Edit: If u have any specific questions about some builds, enemies or overall questions about Skyrim, just ask away. I have more than decent knowledge about the game and I'm sure I'm able to reply ur Skyrim related questions. Even the funny ones, u know I'm srsly dope.
    lawl, you nerd <3

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,058 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XghostzX View Post
    lawl, you nerd <3
    Generic overview of the best single player RPG available. It's not as nerdy as let's say, making a an end game guide for Rhino PvPing for a cartoonic animal game which is mostly played with a phone or tablet.

... If u get what I mean

Reputation and Thanks are serious business
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,080 Posts

Lol am I a noob if I say Wood Elf with maxed bow, sneak and 1h skills is good ?
    I mean I one shot Mammoths when my bow is enchanted.

TL: |AL|DL|PL|SL|BC|BD|
    Exps :|AL|DL|PL|SL|
    Other threads here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Borderlands 2 is at least just as good as skyrim.
    Instead of diablo, try torchlight 1 or 2
    add me on steam:http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198053834348
    AL ign: Neutronius [War] Pixelcrusher [Rog] Hyperious [Sorc] PL: Prototypedwar [main] (+ a few alts)

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,058 Posts

If u read a bit further, u will see that Walk has already made his decision.

ALL HAIL SKYRIM