Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Nordr ice patches - blargh!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Nordr ice patches - blargh!

First off, kudos to the development team at STS for the beautifully styled Nordr map. It's visually stunning, and quite creative in its content.

I don't mind the ice patches per se, they are simply another obstacle/challenge to overcome. However, I've always, ever since launch day, played most areas with camera zoomed in, because I find it makes things more enjoyable, especially given how gorgeous the graphics are in the game. However, because we can't move camera angle as we can in PL, played zoomed in has posed some minor challenges. This was mostly tolerable in previous maps.

That being said, my concern is this: If you play any Nordr areas zoomed in, it is almost impossible to see the ice before you step in it. I really wish we could move the camera angle, because otherwise, the ubiquitous ice patches act as an effective deterrent against playing zoomed in. You might say, k, then don't play zoomed in, but what's the point of having the zoom feature and the beautiful graphics if we can't get an up-close look at them?

I'm not sure if there are plans to allow the camera angle to be moved (a la PL), but perhaps devs can give some thought to the ice patch placement issue, given the locked camera?

Wonder what devs and others think of this.

(PS this is my first ever post to forums, so go easy on me )
    Last edited by Anchoret; 04-24-2013 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Typos :/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    225 Posts

If your phone is rooted pm me on rotating your camera, unless devs think thats a bannable offense? Other wise you can do what they want and by that elixer:/
    the day the world died I didn't even say goodbye
    Ign: Pocket Legends: WickedKlownz, Cainnblecter, Corpsefarm, Arcane Legends: cainnblecter, traumatized

3.   Click here to go to the next Dev post in this thread.   #3
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xcainnblecterx View Post
    If your phone is rooted pm me on rotating your camera, unless devs think thats a bannable offense? Other wise you can do what they want and by that elixer:/
    This may be potentially ban-able given you are tampering with the game, however note that you are playing the game in a way it was not designed and you may see things you are not supposed to. The game has been built with the locked camera in mind and thus you will be seeing elements that will appear broken from different camera angles.

You won't see anything that gives you an advantage over other players, but you will no doubt see some thing that don't look so good.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Carapace For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Carapace View Post
    This may be potentially ban-able given you are tampering with the game, however note that you are playing the game in a way it was not designed and you may see things you are not supposed to. The game has been built with the locked camera in mind and thus you will be seeing elements that will appear broken from different camera angles.

You won't see anything that gives you an advantage over other players, but you will no doubt see some thing that don't look so good.
    Yes i do see why the camera isn't meant to be rotated and ill just stay quiet and put things back to normal until its more confirmed if its bannable or not

this is why ^^^^^^ camera is supposed to stay in place. Most objects are not 3d
    Last edited by xcainnblecterx; 04-24-2013 at 07:46 PM.
    Ign: Pocket Legends: WickedKlownz, Cainnblecter, Corpsefarm, Arcane Legends: cainnblecter, traumatized

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

pls make it rotatable too thats the story of this post

Life is a game, boy. Life is a game that one plays according to the rules. J. D. Salinger The Catcher in the Rye
    Primary IGN: Elfwarden

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Elf-Orc-Naga View Post
    pls make it rotatable too thats the story of this post
    in order to do that they would have to remake the game from the ground up

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    568 Posts

Plus, I would also assume that the graphics would need to be toned down to an extent to compensate for the new camera angles.
    So basically its a compromise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

All you people crying about fixed camera obviously never played diablo or any other ARPGs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts

Yeah sometimes I have a difficulty avoiding ice patches when I zoom in too much. In some cases, they blend into the white, causing enemies to start attacking me when I'm frozen.

The camera takes a while to get used to, just don't zoom in all the way unless you want to look at something closely....
    Hey, I'm a lone wolf. A wolf who wants to be friends with you :3

Blogger
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Beanerboi View Post
    All you people crying about fixed camera obviously never played diablo or any other ARPGs
    No, just most of us played PL before AL and that screen rotates so everyone is use to it.

Sent using blood on a bathroom wall.

PL) razerfingers, razer, kinglewi SL) deadspace, razerfingers, sharpshooter DL) trueblood, razerfingers, sharpteeth AL) razer, razerfingers, billionaire, donaldtrump

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    315 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xcainnblecterx View Post
    Yes i do see why the camera isn't meant to be rotated and ill just stay quiet and put things back to normal until its more confirmed if its bannable or not

this is why ^^^^^^ camera is supposed to stay in place. Most objects are not 3d

How did you do that? TEACH ME PLOX!

13.   Click here to go to the next Dev post in this thread.   #12
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts

correct the game was built that way to have better graphics and reduce the processing power required at the same time. It also allows us to frame things in a way we know they will always be viewed and minimize our art development time.

Rotating cameras will not be coming to the game in an official capacity.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    97 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Carapace View Post

looking down PvP CTF halls that you can't see on your team will be an advantage?

15.   This is the last Dev post in this thread.   #14
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anchoret View Post
    First off, kudos to the development team at STS for the beautifully styled Nordr map. It's visually stunning, and quite creative in its content.

I don't mind the ice patches per se, they are simply another obstacle/challenge to overcome. However, I've always, ever since launch day, played most areas with camera zoomed in, because I find it makes things more enjoyable, especially given how gorgeous the graphics are in the game. However, because we can't move camera angle as we can in PL, played zoomed in has posed some minor challenges. This was mostly tolerable in previous maps.

That being said, my concern is this: If you play any Nordr areas zoomed in, it is almost impossible to see the ice before you step in it. I really wish we could move the camera angle, because otherwise, the ubiquitous ice patches act as an effective deterrent against playing zoomed in. You might say, k, then don't play zoomed in, but what's the point of having the zoom feature and the beautiful graphics if we can't get an up-close look at them?
    )
    Back on topic!

Regarding the zoomed in camera. I played fully zoomed in on an iPhone and honestly, you can see the frost patches even better when zoomed in. This is because as the camera zooms in it rotates slightly and expands it's field of view so you can actually see farther in front of you. You do have a bit reduced view behind and to the far sides of you, but you still, at least in my experiences, have enough view range to see and avoid frost patches if you're looking out for them.

Camera zoomed out:
    Name:  Camera-Angle-zoomed-out.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  57.5 KB

Camera zoomed in:
    Name:  Camera-Angle-zoomed-in.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  56.6 KB
    | | | |

Need help? Please visit our Support Website at http://support.spacetimestudios.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    738 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by razerfingers View Post
    No, just most of us played PL before AL and that screen rotates so everyone is use to it.

Sent using blood on a bathroom wall.
    I played contra long before pl and it was two dimensional. Luckily I found a way to adjust instead of continually asking sts to make pl 2D

AL: Rare (Rogue)/Common (Warrior)/Mythic (Sorcerer)