Its pretty simple and especially good for mmo's. Go get big name sponsor like. Whabamco. Ltd manufacturing electronic goods lets say.. (made up).
tell them that they get advertising billboards in game. plus special loot item to be disturbed in any way the company wants.. can. Give em out for free promotion, or get item with purchase receipt code., or a special quest in line with the sponsors desire.

Anyway add a special sponsors button somewhere and tie the company and the game together there coupons deals special items, etc. This will be the dividing line between the Devs domain in games and the sponsors involvement. Options in game are ultimately left souly up to the Creators of the game empire.

Explain that there are alot of people worldwide that will at least see they're logo in game billboards. Then events, items. Or what ever you think of Devs. Will add too allure of a monthly commitment.
You could work the sponsors involvement in with quests that tie them into the SL world.

I say SL Star Legends. Cause i have played for years such a cool game and i want too see it developed too its potential. Exciting too think what could be done with extra large financial relief. All i ask is keep these games evolving. And make me a Star guard... ) want the shoulder piece. And already help hundreds through game answering questions, running levels. All that. And i play all the time.
There's my idea let me know what ya think pls.
Players too pls.
Wouldnt bug me personally if the billboards weren't unobtrusive, and the incentives cool. But where i stand is obvious srry.