Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tanking through Elite Nordr

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aedenos View Post
    You and your fancy Ipad Mini
    Oh you fancy huh? Does the skill charging while pot spamming not work for you?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    738 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eversor View Post
    Oh you fancy huh? Does the skill charging while pot spamming not work for you?
    LOL I haven't tried it. Its a good idea though. Not sure I am that coordinated with my left thumb. But I'm going to give it a try.

I've been having a hard time finding enough free seconds to charge a skill and still keep enough health. This should work.

AL: Rare (Rogue)/Common (Warrior)/Mythic (Sorcerer)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dude awesome guide, thanks ever!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    411 Posts

hmm.. what an interesting build
    Last edited by inkredible; 05-16-2013 at 01:47 AM.

Don't waste my time, don't waste yours

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by inkredble View Post
    hmm.. what an interesting build
    Isn't it?! Report back and let us know how you do if you choose to use it? This WAS constructive, right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    411 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pandamoni View Post
    Isn't it?! Report back and let us know how you do if you choose to use it? This WAS constructive, right?
    i havent tried it
    but i need this clarified

Chest Splitter with Staggering Blow upgrade – This skill will help you hold aggro on mobs and bosses alike with the taunt that it does and with the Staggering Blow upgrade you can keep bosses from scoring critical hits against your party with the feeble effect.

Axe Throw with Denting Blow and Chained Bait upgrades – This skill is crucial for boss fights. It will taunt them to keep their attention on you and it will also apply the feeble effect on them to keep them from scoring critical hits against your party.

------ As far as i know.. feeble doesnt work on boss?
    i have the rally/ hor build, which i alternate when red shows up to protect the team, dodge/armor, shield

- if his build works for him, then it works,
    sometimes its hard to just drag the boss with axe throw specially when the "red" area is huge, but ya can be useful if used right.

- id like to see this in action
    add me in game : inkredble

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    411 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JaytB View Post
    Very nice guide!

I hope this will make for some better tanks out there.
    agood build doesnt always mean a better tank, its the strategy, specially with his build

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

agood build doesnt always mean a better tank, its the strategy, specially with his build
    Hence why I said it was a good guide. It doesn't only cover the build but also the strategy.

And for all doubters of my rockstar status:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    U rok, thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

i havent tried it
    but i need this clarified

Chest Splitter with Staggering Blow upgrade – This skill will help you hold aggro on mobs and bosses alike with the taunt that it does and with the Staggering Blow upgrade you can keep bosses from scoring critical hits against your party with the feeble effect.

Axe Throw with Denting Blow and Chained Bait upgrades – This skill is crucial for boss fights. It will taunt them to keep their attention on you and it will also apply the feeble effect on them to keep them from scoring critical hits against your party.

------ As far as i know.. feeble doesnt work on boss?
    i have the rally/ hor build, which i alternate when red shows up to protect the team, dodge/armor, shield

- if his build works for him, then it works,
    sometimes its hard to just drag the boss with axe throw specially when the "red" area is huge, but ya can be useful if used right.

- id like to see this in action
    add me in game : inkredble
    The feeble effect absolutely works on bosses. It makes it so they will not get a critical hit against you for 2 seconds. They're still going to hit you, but it won't be enough to one shot you from near full health if you have feeble on them. I'll add that the only time I get one shotted by Frostir anymore is if he stuns me and then hits me with another charged attack immediately after, before I can get feeble on him or put up a HoR shield.

There are a couple things that won't work on Nordr bosses in regards to these two skills:

Chest Splitter: The Staggering Blow upgrade will not interrupt a charged attack like it says in the description. The devs have stated that this is by design.

Axe Throw: The Chained Bait upgrade will not pull the bosses of Nordr. The devs have also stated that this is by design.

Even with these two things not working, I find Chest Splitter and Axe Throw extremely important on bosses, especially Grimnr.

I've previously tried Rally Cry on these bosses and sometimes it saves you and others in your party, but sometimes it doesn't. If you fail to dodge the attack with the buff from rally cry, the damage reduction isn't going to save anyone from the insane crits some these bosses are capable of. I find the feeble effect much more reliable. People are still going to get hit, and they're still going to need to use their health potions. Feeble makes it manageable though, as opposed to crossing your fingers that you don't get one shotted every time a boss charges an attack.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Been using a similar build (without axe throw) since before Nordr and I have to agree that it works the best to hold agro under the assumption you are going to use a lot of mana and health potions.

In other words, ive given up on VB, Jugg, and Rally. This build holds agro like nothing else ive tried at the expense of some survivability (again, i find vb, jugg, rally not as effective to hold agro). But thats where the potions come in, the unofficial 5th and 6th skills.

Anyway, I have one question for the op, do you charge your attack skills or no?

Thanks,

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Teoijio View Post
    Been using a similar build (without axe throw) since before Nordr and I have to agree that it works the best to hold agro under the assumption you are going to use a lot of mana and health potions.

In other words, ive given up on VB, Jugg, and Rally. This build holds agro like nothing else ive tried at the expense of some survivability (again, i find vb, jugg, rally not as effective to hold agro). But thats where the potions come in, the unofficial 5th and 6th skills.

Anyway, I have one question for the op, do you charge your attack skills or no?

Thanks,
    For me it depends on what exact build I'm using at the time and the situation. If I'm using ss, cs, windmill and hor and tanking mobs, then I don't charge my attacks skills. The cooldown on ss, and cs are so short that I can just about spam them with windmill and hor sprinkled in when they're available. Between this and potting I typically can't find time to charge attack skills where I don't feel the time can be better used on something else.

If I'm using cs, windmill, vb and horn though when tanking mobs I do sometimes charge attack skills. I don't have to pot as much with a build like this and the cooldowns on windmill, vb and horn are fairly long. If all I can better use the time for is an auto attack that is going to effect only one mob, I'd rather charge the attack that is going to hit 3-4.

On bosses I don't ever charge my attack skills.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Thanks. Yeah, I hardly charge anymore, though when I do, it seems i do m9re damage. When im try8ng to hold agro, I never charge.

Oh, and thanks f9r the guide on the bosses. I f9und 8t really helpful. Happy hunt8ng!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Teoijio For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    411 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eversor View Post
    The feeble effect absolutely works on bosses. It makes it so they will not get a critical hit against you for 2 seconds. They're still going to hit you, but it won't be enough to one shot you from near full health if you have feeble on them. I'll add that the only time I get one shotted by Frostir anymore is if he stuns me and then hits me with another charged attack immediately after, before I can get feeble on him or put up a HoR shield.

There are a couple things that won't work on Nordr bosses in regards to these two skills:

Chest Splitter: The Staggering Blow upgrade will not interrupt a charged attack like it says in the description. The devs have stated that this is by design.

Axe Throw: The Chained Bait upgrade will not pull the bosses of Nordr. The devs have also stated that this is by design.

Even with these two things not working, I find Chest Splitter and Axe Throw extremely important on bosses, especially Grimnr.

I've previously tried Rally Cry on these bosses and sometimes it saves you and others in your party, but sometimes it doesn't. If you fail to dodge the attack with the buff from rally cry, the damage reduction isn't going to save anyone from the insane crits some these bosses are capable of. I find the feeble effect much more reliable. People are still going to get hit, and they're still going to need to use their health potions. Feeble makes it manageable though, as opposed to crossing your fingers that you don't get one shotted every time a boss charges an attack.
    right , yeei love axe throw/ split, the only reason why im not using them cuz i heard from people they dont work for boss so i didnt touch it
    - i mean not only for nordr cuz ive used them for pirates too, its bestt for aggro, 7s cool down is deff better than the buffs - just needed that part clarified

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts

Very nice guide, Eversor! I agree with a majority of what you've written. However, I will say two things:

1) I try not to rely much on pets to get me through a boss fight. It really depends on the group makeup and which pets will benefit everyone the most. I generally run with a guild group which tends to be the same every day - this allows me to have fun with pets and test them out. Recently I have enjoyed using Esteban for his debuffs and Kelvin for his stun (I do not have Slag).

2) I enjoy Juggernaut moreso than Windmill. The heal is an added bonus to the damage mitigation - especially against berserk-mode Frostr and Grimnr. Also, in Nordr, it is especially nice to have Juggernaut for fights like Frostbite and Frostr because of the ice patches (and sometimes Man-Eater if we don't have any torches left; we don't buy firebug lix).

Like you said, it all depends on your play style. However the important, fundamental points you touched on are something that all Warriors in AL should take into consideration. There are far too many Warriors out there thinking they are inflicting good DPS - omit the guys running around with Arcane Hammer, of course

~Geunin

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Its a great guide. Good job.
    Apostel L76 Ursan | Diamantarrow L56 Avian_.
    Immortalcry L61 Elite-Undead | Pleasedontcry L32 Avian n' more..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Bump!

I thought I lost this thread and would have been sorry if I had. Best tank guide I've found and just what this lvl 36 noob needed. It explains so much, even if you decide to use a different build. This isn't a "cookie cutter" style guide, it's a gourmet cook book. It doesn't just tell you what to do but why to do. I haven't even run elite Nordr yet but its made me a 10 times better tank. I wish everyone would read this, tank or not. Thank you.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Renorico For This Useful Post: