Thread: Guide: how to say no

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts

Default Guide: how to say no

With all of the scam threads going on, I thought we may need a guide giving tips of how to say no if someone asks for something you aren't willing to part with forever. Essentially, you have to realize that loaning anything in this game, even for 30 seconds, is as good as giving it away. You should be surprised if you get it back, not if it gets taken.

without further delay:

Friend: "hey, buddy, I need to kill this boss but my bow sucks. Can I borrow your mythic bow?"

You: "no".

Friend: "oh come on! I'm trustworthy. Ask tomsmith (random name they throw out of some person you are supposed to believe when asked if someone is trustworthy) and he will tell you I borrow his stuff all the time and give it back!"

You: "lol. No. Borrow his bow, then. Please don't ask again."

Friend:"awww I can't believe you don't trust me to borrow your bow. It's only worth 3mil. I'll let you hold my helm and all my 200k gold"

you: "if you mention my bow again I'll have to add you to my ignore list".

as you can see, when talking about an item, they will try to convince you that it's no big deal. When it comes to asking for gold for the AP, they will try any number of ways to convince you they're trustworthy. I usually throw in a lot of lol's to show them how absurd their request is.

Friend:"hey buddy! I have like 15500 AP's and only missing the gold ones. Can I borrow your gold just for the AP and I'll give it back? Pwetty pweese!?!"

You: "hahaha!!! No."

Friend:"awww come on man! I even voted for you on nicest players of AL (someone actually used this one on me lol)".

You:"lol!!! There is no way I'm letting you hold my gold. I suggest you merch if the AP is very important to you."

Friend:"wow. I can't believe you won't trust me. -.-"

You:" there are about 5 people here I trust enough to give gold or items to and you're not one of them."

Friend:"who? I bet they will all tell you I am trustworthy."

You:"I can't believe I've had to say no this many times. You're being a pretty crappy friend right now, making me have to say no so many times just to get you to listen to me. Ask again and I'm adding you to my ignore list."

I actually don't think you should say quite as much as all of that. A simple no can suffice but if you feel uncomfortable saying no, pay attention here that the key is to be sure you don't fall for the "omg you're so mean I can't believe you don't trust me!" trick. Holding on to your hard earned gear or gold isn't mean. It makes sense. The bad friend isn't the one who says no. The bad friend is the one who doesn't take no for an answer. Stop giving your stuff away. If you can't say no, PM me in game and ask me to tell someone no for you. I have an 8 year old. Saying no is second nature to me. Good luck all!
    Last edited by Pandamoni; 11-03-2013 at 09:21 PM.

2. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Pandamoni For This Useful Post: