Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: [Design Blog] Updates to Aimed Shot

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1.   Click here to go to the next Dev post in this thread.   #1
    Spacetime Studios Dev VROOMIGoRealFast's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    337 Posts

Default [Design Blog] Updates to Aimed Shot

Hey Everyone,

I'll start with the tl;dr: Aimed Shot now does more overall damage!

It's time to learn about the new Aimed Shot!
    Ok so I call it new Aimed Shot but there's not a whole lot different. The design team found an issue with Aimed Shot where the damage was incredibly inconsistent when it comes to which upgrades you use. I want to walk players through the entire process of how we found this issue and how we addressed it.

The Inconsistent Aimed Shot
    Most abilities in Arcane Legends use a player's Bonus Damage when calculating how much damage to deal. Abilities in Arcane Legends also have a minimum amount of damage, as well as a maximum amount of damage they can deal, which provides the damage range you see in game. Specifically in the case of Aimed Shot, if you have the upgrades Accuracy and Critical Shot, the maximum damage the ability could do was applying a player's bonus damage twice. This resulted in the maximum damage for Aimed Shot if you have these 2 upgrades dealing a lot more damage than any other combination of Aimed Shot. This difference became more exaggerated the higher your Bonus Damage was which means that as Rogues level up higher and put more points into Dexterity the problem would only get worse.

Why this is a problem
    Before I start this section I do want to reiterate that the point of this update is not to make Aimed Shot deal less damage. These changes are being done to make Aimed Shot more consistent both from a player perspective, and from a balance perspective. When any class has a skill or item that behaves in a crazy manner, it affects the balance of all classes and how we perceive them. When we make balance changes, especially large ones like the PvP adjustments earlier this year, we consider all classes under the expectation that they're behaving as we've intended them too. Anomalies like Aimed Shot dealing double Bonus Damage, or the Wildfire proc ignoring armor make us think Rogues are dealing the right amount of damage, or that Sorcerers are dealing too much damage, and so on. This isn't the actual case though, because a Rogue without Critical Shot and Accuracy is not doing enough damage by a large margin, and a Sorcerer not using a staff with Wildfire isn't dealing too much damage to mobs. Once we identify and correct these anomalies, we can better maintain the balance of all classes in AL.

The Adjustments
    Again, the goal is not to reduce the amount of damage Aimed Shot does overall, but to make Aimed Shot more consistent and predictable. We have removed the issue of Aimed Shot with Critical Shot and Accuracy counting Bonus Damage twice, but to compensate for the loss of potential damage that Rogues are used to, we have increased other multipliers of Aimed Shot so that the average damage before the change will be the same after the change.
    To more clearly show how the Aimed Shot will be affecting players, I've taken stats from various Rogues in Arcane Legends. With their STR, DEX, and INT values, I calculated their Aimed Shot damage if they were wearing the Immortal Corruption Bow. These calculations do not include any form of pet bonuses and damage jewels were not added.

Here is how the 6 Rogues looked before any changes were made to Aimed Shot.

Player STR DEX INT Aimed Shot Minimum Damage Aimed Shot Maximum Damage Aimed Shot Average Damage
    Rogue 1 168 787 158 1383 3106 2244
    Rogue 2 104 650 94 1155 2548 1851
    Rogue 3 119 707 117 1247 2775 2011
    Rogue 4 135 821 182 1443 3254 2348
    Rogue 5 75 785 211 1392 3127 2259
    Rogue 6 135 835 197 1469 3318 2394

Here are the same 6 Rogues after the upcoming changes to Aimed Shot go live
    Player STR DEX INT Aimed Shot Minimum Damage Aimed Shot Maximum Damage Aimed Shot Average Damage
    Rogue 1 168 787 158 1669 3060 2365
    Rogue 2 104 650 94 1385 2519 1952
    Rogue 3 119 707 117 1500 2739 2119
    Rogue 4 135 821 182 1744 3203 2474
    Rogue 5 75 785 211 1680 3080 2380
    Rogue 6 135 835 197 1777 3265 2521

As you can see, the results of this change were to increase the minimum damage of Aimed Shot, while bringing down the maximum damage of Aimed Shot slightly, resulting in most cases a slight increase of Aimed Shot average damage. Because this new formula doesn't count Bonus Damage twice in the equation, it won't be scaling out of control as Rogues acquire more DEX through levels and gear.

As always we appreciate the community's feedback and understanding while this issue with Aimed Shot has been fixed!

PewPewPew,
    -STSVroom
    | | | |

Need help? Please visit our Support Website at http://support.spacetimestudios.com

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to VROOMIGoRealFast For This Useful Post: