Thread: Concerning PvP (not again!)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Concerning PvP (not again!)

Hey guys, I have seen some great suggestions here, but for every good one there is an equally bad suggestion. I thought I could try compiling not only what I have gotten from the many threads I have read here in the past few days, but also what I myself have learned from exstensive online pvping. So sit back and enjoy!

So, first off, what will work and what won't?

I have seen many ridiculous claims that 30+ people could be hosted on the same server. Having some limited expirience in online programming, I can assure you, this is not easy to accomplish lag free with the various obsticles such as server locations, WiFi vs 3g, cross platforms, and many more other things I do not want to get into. But besides the technical limitations, there is the practicle side to trying to have massive games. If a guild of 10 people join for a 10v10, they would have to wait for another 10 players to join the opposite side. Because a queue system would be problematic, this waiting would most likely end up in griefing single enemies who join alone, until they leave the server. 10v0 again, with the guild having gotten a few kills.
    One way to fix this would be automatic balancing, but that would not be as fun as getting to fight with your friends.

What I think WOULD work are small scale battles on maps designed for pvp. Small scale means 1v1-4v4, although I believe griefing like mentioned earlier may start in a 4v1 situation. But finding 4 friends is much faster than 10.

Joining a pvp game

I think that the server select that is being used right now is close to what we want. Map name, level range of players, ect. In pvp, it will be very important to put level caps on games. We do not want a level 30 joining a level 3 game. Once you join, you should propobly be given time to ready up. Get to full health ect, then press the big Start Pvp button that confirms that you are now killable\can get kills.

The maps

As I mentioned, brand new maps should be made. Old themes are ok, but these dungeons would not provide fast paced action we want in small games. Arena style maps would be preferable, with a circlular design so that combat is forced to be in the middle. A few tunnels is fine, but no mazes.

Mobs in PvP, nty

I have seen this work before, but the way Pocket Legends plays right now, I do not want to see it. You need to waste cooldowns on mobs depending on your class, and in PvP, everything helps. Mobs would also decrease the amount of other stuff such as players in the game. And it would make it extremly unfair to be having a 1v1 and then suddenly being attacked by a pack of mobs.

Looting, death, and rewards

Looting
    No thanks. No player looting. This is not a hard core mmo that you are supposed to play for 20 hours a day to get thr best gear over and over, this is a relaxed mmo for iPhones that you take out when you have a moment of free time. If this was supposed to be the other way, it would be clear. Leveling would be slower and harder. No, no looting. Maybe a honor system where you get a point for killing a player, or some gold. We want to keep our items and actually pvp, not grind for new ones whenever we die. I've had to do this in previous games, it's no fun. Maybe it makes it more intense, but really, please don't add this.

So if no looting, what do you get? I suggest a player kill count, simular to K/D. (which should also be shown). In this system, whenever you get or assist in a kill you would receive 5 points, and when you die you loose 2 points. Every 1000 or so, you are awarded a new title. You should also unlock purchasable gear depending on your title/rank. If we are going for a skill based grind, the last few levels should only give 10 or so points per kill and take 20 or so per death. This way those who do want to play hardcore would get their title rewards. This would of course go with leaderboards. And these figures are just random, they propobly need a lot of changing.

Other things

Well, you will hate me for this, but disable potions in pvp. Spamming 100 of them in a 1v1 is no fun, and just makes it unfair. Also, classes need more survivability. Warriors can not do much while being nuked from far, and archers can not get away fast from a warrior standing next to them beating on them. Also, a pvp and pve spec would be nice. Different things will work in different game types, and no one wants to spend so much money just to respec every other game.
    I also was going to mention death somewhere, but forgot. Aside from loosing the point that I mentioned in the explination on my pvp system, you would have to wait for a new round. I doubt small games would take long, so rounds seem necissary. And if it IS a big game, wait a while to respawn. And most importantly, loss of ego on your K/D

Well, that's all for now, thanks for reading! Typed on my iPhone so sorry if it's short or has many mistakes. Cheers!
    Last edited by Caspi; 04-22-2010 at 04:00 PM.