This was news awhile ago but since there ain't much going on I'll share some opinion. According to an old article by touchgen (link here) this was said in the case of armor in Dark Legends:

"Speaking of clothes, DL does away with any sort of armor stats, turning all the wearable drops in the game into vanity items. They want to focus more on character customization, rather than being forced to wear certain items for specific stat bonuses. Stat-based weapons and “shards” will instead come into play to buff your character’s abilities."

Does this disappoint anyone else besides me? Obviously what was said in the article could be true or could have already changed. But thinking about it.. one ofmy favorite parts of starting out any RPG is scrapping armor together for the bonus and in turn getting that raggedy warrior look going. Then once you work hard and get into late game you can get your style going with set items and vanities. With the way armor sounds in Dark Legends it's going to skip right to end game where you pick your look with vanities and use unseen shards to boost your stats. I think this will be an unorthodox move by Dark Legends (I know other games do this... just can't think of them atm).

When I think off MMO I think vanities, and when I think of RPG I think of stat based armor. And when I think of MMORPG I think of stat based armor with the addition of hard to get vanities in the later game. Anyways STS's changes of this with Dark Legends I'll just have to live with even though "I don't like change".