Thread: Why do my parents punish me over sports?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts

Actually LOLing at all of you people saying his parents are "doing it for his best interest."
    Assuming most of you have never played sports before, were never the star of your team for some time, or are still quite young.

Your parents are doing it because you're embarrassing them. They don't care about if you're enjoying yourself, or if you doing well benefits you in any way. It's about their own pathetic sense of pride. If you do well, people know you're their son, and it makes them look good. People will come up to them and be like "WOW your son did great today!" and it makes THEM feel good. When you perform poorly, they get paranoid about everything people do. If someone glances at them the wrong way, they assume it's because you did bad in your event and they're thinking less of them as parents. They then lash out on you because YOU embarrassed THEM. It doesn't matter if people are actually thinking less of them as parents or not, because they have it in their mind that they do. This is extremely common with kids who were really good at sports at a young age, but then everyone else caught up. The parents are used to you being a star and when you start slipping, they think people look at them like it's their fault.

How do I know this? This is the exact reason why I had my coaches ban my dad from my ice hockey games, and then eventually quit playing forever.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Flowman For This Useful Post: