Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: pure mages underpowered

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Certainly I struggle alot in various areas. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I just don't think it's right that one hit from a boss should kill me stone dead and even those pesky yellow aliens kill me with just two hits. Giving us more powerful defense spells would be one way to assist, that way my 36 mana regen could get some use! (Perhaps we can could have an invisibility spell too - that would be nice. )
    AL: Aardzol (lvl 25 Sorcerer) | PL: Spiritualist (lvl 50 Mage)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

I LIKE the idea of a "anti-aggro" spell... Long cooldown, and will either make invisible to monsters for a few secs or will put all your current aggro back to 0... Niiiice
    404 - not found ...maybe one day...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arterra View Post
    I LIKE the idea of a "anti-aggro" spell... Long cooldown, and will either make invisible to monsters for a few secs or will put all your current aggro back to 0... Niiiice
    I do have my moments. :/
    AL: Aardzol (lvl 25 Sorcerer) | PL: Spiritualist (lvl 50 Mage)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bosses one shot mages that a meant to be squishy and 2 shots a warrior that are meant to survive. I dont see the underpower there. Sure warrs got the tanking buffs but you got your mana shield, heal and posibility of kiting melee stuff.

Lets look at it another way, a team without mage fails everything at AO3 without pot. The same team, but this time with 1 less warrior or archer and have a mage instead can win everything! They can even defeat Overlord with a wall tank and a mage spam ressing!

And how about I say warriors are underpowered? We cant solo yellows without using potions and we cant solo King or Gurg at all. (Maybe Gurg but will take years)

And stop QQing about gear being expensive! Why the **** would a mage need very good gear when they shoulodnt be attacked at all? It maybe just saves you a few mana pots.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Superzarop View Post
    Bosses one shot mages that a meant to be squishy and 2 shots a warrior that are meant to survive. I dont see the underpower there. Sure warrs got the tanking buffs but you got your mana shield, heal and posibility of kiting melee stuff.

Lets look at it another way, a team without mage fails everything at AO3 without pot. The same team, but this time with 1 less warrior or archer and have a mage instead can win everything! They can even defeat Overlord with a wall tank and a mage spam ressing!

And how about I say warriors are underpowered? We cant solo yellows without using potions and we cant solo King or Gurg at all. (Maybe Gurg but will take years)

And stop QQing about gear being expensive! Why the **** would a mage need very good gear when they shoulodnt be attacked at all? It maybe just saves you a few mana pots.
    Int mages are underpowered mostly due to the attribute imbalance (overpowered Dex) and relative weakness of stat driven skills. And I don't think people are saying so much that they are underpowered compared to other classes, but actually their own hybrids. Sure you need a mage on your team to rez, but a paladin can do that just as well as an Int mage and is more likely to survive nukes and still be standing to rez. Not sure where you're coming from with the warrior stuff, but warriors are far from underpowered (though not as OP as birds). A warrior can solo anything in AO3 as long as you are willing to spam health pots, and take the time to do the damage needed. Warrior buffs are the greatest skill advantage in the game. Rage, Ironblood, and Evasion is a crazy combo of buffs, plus then the added dodge buff of Taunt, and warriors are ridiculously well protected.
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6183&dateline=1275696  601
    Quote Originally Posted by conradin View Post
    To doubt Royce, is to doubt your sanity...
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinkTastical View Post
    Royce is right, You are WRONG. Live with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Royce youre so pro, crushes almost all my arguments in one post just as long as mine :_(

Still who needs uber pwn gear when they are mainly meant to only heal and rev and NOT pull aggro from the mobs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ya under powered
    to easy 2 kill im lvl42 i could kick a lvl50 mages ****

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

(¯`v´¯)
    `*.¸.*´
    ¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
    Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
    (¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`• mages ftw
    i saw her once, and swore i was in love...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Chickdigcookies View Post
    (¯`v´¯)
    `*.¸.*´
    ¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
    Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
    (¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`• mages ftw
    20 year old dude writing butterflies on forums FTL

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just switched from str Mage to pure because I wa pure before and hated being under armored which is why the deva should make a cloth that is stronger and not so hard to get

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Superzarop View Post
    Royce youre so pro, crushes almost all my arguments in one post just as long as mine :_(

Still who needs uber pwn gear when they are mainly meant to only heal and rev and NOT pull aggro from the mobs.
    then tell me WHY there is this gear? that is one of the worst arguments I have heard. revving and healing, not to mention debuffing in general make up A LOT of aggro for us.. when in a rush (sorry lol) i will NOT stop to rez a comrade, not even heal a failing warrior... I will get SWAMPED.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

K your argument is you always have to pull aggro so you need more armor? K i understand. But careful, Royce might come eat you up for saying rush.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

better yet, before you make a comment about being a mage, play and level one up first. i used to love my mage during ao2. the aoe spells were a blast and i could run around fairly uninhibited as long as i was quick on the heal pot button.
    since ao3 I have barely touched my mage. it is incredibly frustrating to die every time i turn a corner with her. and the only way to even start to be successful with a mage of any type is to be lvl 50 and owning respective cosmo/rift/void gear.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy View Post
    Mages are meant to be squashy.
    Squishy, I can deal with. Road-kill-three-days-in-moist-heat-squashy's a bit harder. There's a boss or two that'll ignore a mage not throwing offensive spells, only heal or res. The others, though, I'd swear they blast a mage before you do *anything*. And don't get me started on the nasty little, pink-gloved aliens...... It's a little hard to feel like you're playing the game when you're spending a fair portion of it hiding out in hallways. A longer effective time period on Mana Shield or even a shorter cool-down would be a very, very large help.
    Rauen Haikus' dex 60 sammich-maker; Grievousangel Haikus' 58 Mage/Butler, Jeffrey; Diffie Wounded's 55 drink-mixer; Ghazaal Noobmigo's 47 cheerleader. SL: Rauen, 36 Op & Bod's turkey baster; Yosinabe 36 Engi; Chedaka 36 Comm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

yep ao2 was a blast lol... full thoth could do anything.

you can do ao3 currently, but not with any satisfaction.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts

I had a lot of fun w/ my mage in Ao3 in groups with good tanks. They made Ao3 look almost easy. The emphasis is on good. The bears should be able to block most snipers without too much trouble. If that's not the case, then they're wanna-be-tanks and all mages should so note, so as not to mistake them for the mage shields that good tanks are.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anyone who answers "pot up and stop whining" is an idiot. I potted for the keeper with a lvl 48 mage and still got one shotted. That was worth the 6000 gold. I don't bother anymore. Would rather save up for the better stuff but pot costs are killing me.. if the bad guys don't get me first!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

I agree. Used to love my Mage and ignored my bear until ao3 came out. Now the only boss I enjoy fighting with my Mage is Gurgox. The others just double my death count.

Still love my Mage for ao2 cash runs -- a team of mages clears the place soooo fast. But I would like to be able to take advantage of my mage's awesome power in ao3 without dying so easily. Granted, I don't have good armor yet, so I'll have to see if my opinion changes with proper armor.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Base on my experience, IMO,

If your hp is around 200 ~ 250 and your armor is below 120 points, you are easily one-hit from some of the AO3 bosses, even if you potted up def, buffed up, spamming pots etc.

Safe region for armor points is 140 ~ 160, with 280 or above hp. At least this gives you a chance to survive with spamming hp pots.
    IGNs | Orei (Elf) - Lvl 50 Mage/Paladin | Oreio (Ursan) - Lvl 50 Gunner/Tank | Oreides (Avian) - Lvl 50 Gunner/Tank | Oreii (Elf) - Lvl 47 Mage | Oreiz - Lvl 20 Storage Twink |