Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Solution to fix the issue of rogues being OP in PvE

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts

Nah its a late suggestion, rogues op pve was in season1-2 but not now, most of the maps need 2sorc-2rogue teams. (lmm normal, arena are still rogue maps, and i dont wanna use heal in pve)
    Last edited by Haligali; 08-24-2013 at 09:31 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Haligali For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    403 Posts

Here is the fix and only requires 3 lines of code. I provide it free of charge too.

If (rogue.damage > mage.damage) {
    rogue.damage = mage.damage;
    }

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by falmear View Post
    Here is the fix and only requires 3 lines of code. I provide it free of charge too.

If (rogue.damage > mage.damage) {
    rogue.damage = mage.damage;
    }
    Yeah..no thank you. Mage is a support class and crowd control class, so that's what it is always going to be. If you want the damage to be the same, well, you picked the wrong class.
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts

My only request to STS regarding this matter, is please make any future timed run contests a little more creative. I.e. groups must consist of one of each class (4th can be optional) or something along those lines. The seasonal timed runs LB isn't worth changing the game over, but when you're handing out prizes with 1-time-only banners, then its time to rethink the dynamics of timed runs by adjusting the rules of the contest.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Taejo For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

The reality is that with accounting for the use of potions, rogues are by far the most powerful class in every aspect. As was previously said, if they allowed the use of potions in PvP rogues would be unbeatable. The only weaknesses a rogue has are solved by potions, but the weaknesses that sorcerers and warriors have are NOT solved by potions. There lies the issue and the reason why rogues dominate PvE (where potions are used). Yes, rogues have to spend their money on these potions, but that is little consolation. If I could buy an "aimed shot" potion to boost my damage by 200%, I would load up on them in a second. And if I could buy an "armor boost" potion to boost my armor a couple of hundred points, I would also load up on those. It must be nice to run dungeons knowing that your only weakness can be remedied by a tap of a button, but other classes must live with their weaknesses.

I know I'm not the most talented player by a long shot, but as I do have full mythic gear on my mage, it would be nice if I could somehow manage to complete an elite dungeon once in a while. I've probably wasted 20-30 hours the past couple of months trying to run elite dungeons, and have yet to finish one of them. I know I'm not very good compared to some other players, but I don't think I'm the worst mage in AL, so it would be nice if someone with my playing abilities could manage that. This is why I was in favor of eliminating the elite dungeons, and I still think if they keep the elite dungeons then they need to make some serious changes to them. The current system is just not playable.

If they don't make some major changes, I will probably delete my sorcerer and start over as a rogue. I'd hate to waste all that time invested, but I think in the long run I would end up more successful and have a chance to compete better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Energizeric View Post
    The reality is that with accounting for the use of potions, rogues are by far the most powerful class in every aspect. As was previously said, if they allowed the use of potions in PvP rogues would be unbeatable. The only weaknesses a rogue has are solved by potions, but the weaknesses that sorcerers and warriors have are NOT solved by potions. There lies the issue and the reason why rogues dominate PvE (where potions are used). Yes, rogues have to spend their money on these potions, but that is little consolation. If I could buy an "aimed shot" potion to boost my damage by 200%, I would load up on them in a second. And if I could buy an "armor boost" potion to boost my armor a couple of hundred points, I would also load up on those. It must be nice to run dungeons knowing that your only weakness can be remedied by a tap of a button, but other classes must live with their weaknesses.

I know I'm not the most talented player by a long shot, but as I do have full mythic gear on my mage, it would be nice if I could somehow manage to complete an elite dungeon once in a while. I've probably wasted 20-30 hours the past couple of months trying to run elite dungeons, and have yet to finish one of them. I know I'm not very good compared to some other players, but I don't think I'm the worst mage in AL, so it would be nice if someone with my playing abilities could manage that. This is why I was in favor of eliminating the elite dungeons, and I still think if they keep the elite dungeons then they need to make some serious changes to them. The current system is just not playable.

If they don't make some major changes, I will probably delete my sorcerer and start over as a rogue. I'd hate to waste all that time invested, but I think in the long run I would end up more successful and have a chance to compete better.
    I play a rogue. I was in elite once for achievements. I never went back. The amount of pots i used there was unimaginable and uneconomical for me. I would be ruined. I can compltete 4 arena bosses in the time of one in elite run, with every boss have the possibility to drop elite warchests, so..
    I think the problem is so many times discussed party system, pug runs, etc.
    And probably that they allowed that classes can benefit from secondary stats. In the first season for succesful run all classes were necessary.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts

If a mage wants to solo OR be included in an elite run, your suggestion isnt in favour of the mage, he'd be dead in seconds if faced against an elite mob wouldnt he?
    Credits to Iady

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts

Eneri that's what I said from the start.

Problem with rouges doing ANY sort of dmg. Wanting to be the OP class. Y U NO MAKE ROUGE?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts

Is that was this is really about? You want to be able to solo elite dungeons and compete for LB positions? I am sorry, but this is not a valid reason to revamp the game's potion system, class abilities or elite dungeons across the board. Not to sound harsh, but this time you've stepped out of the boundaries of posting one of your more beneficial and reputable suggestions and are now just concocting selfish ideas. You mentioned in another thread that you've played MMORPGs in the past, correct? That being said, you of all people should know that end game content is designed to collaborate players and basically obligate them to form a group and develop strategy and technique. Sure, a rogue can solo some of the older elite maps with little difficulty. Big deal! Is it really an optimal use of your time and resources to do this anyway? Does the risk versus reward factor of soloing elite maps greatly outweigh that of running the maps with a group? I think not. I also think that most people would agree putting a group of 3-4 people and running elite Rook's Nest is a far more enjoyable (and beneficial) venture than soloing it. The current system is very playable, and you know it. It's just not soloable for a sorcerer or warrior, which it's not designed to be anyway. Quite frankly, Kraken and Nordr aren't exactly soloable for the average end-game rogue either. But going back to the topic of this thread, how is adding a global CD to pots going to help sorcerers or warriors solo an elite dungeon or reach the leader board? As it was previously stated, potions are primarily in the Legends titles to fill the gap of human error and lag issues. Unfortunately, it also allows rogues to run maps more effectively - c'est la vie.

Sorry Energizeric - I respect your intelligence and creativity put forth on this forum. However, your vision of success in this game is very askew from the average player, if soloing elite maps and competing for LB spots is in the definition.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Taejo For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

i see what ener is saying ...
    and i also have a rogue we spam pots in pve but i bet we get less profits because of this
    every class has has a weak spot

also juaki gave us the best answer for leader board runs and i 100% agree everyone skipped past his post
    lb recs should require each class and the 4th is up to ya
    simple.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    403 Posts

Honestly I really don't understand what you're saying, do you mean solo or in a party? I don't understand you saying you wasted 20-30 hours trying to run elite dungeons and not finish them how did you get the achievements then? I can solo a number of elite maps. And in some cases when I do it solo I can complete it faster then a party of 4 (because of mob scaling). I use to play only elite dungeons non-stop successfully and mostly in PUGs. I met a lot of good people playing pugs and people who I now play with frequently. And if you know how to use your skills you can solo a number of elite maps. But it requires a huge number of pots to do so. Sometimes when I am in a PUG everyone (including the tank) dies but I stay alive by using my skills in such a way to keep me alive. This comes from a number of factors such as knowing the map and what certain mobs do and where to position yourself in respect to them to take the least amount of damage. And how to use your skills to stop the mobs from over running you. For me the current system is just fine and the only thing wrong with it is the time spent vs the reward isn't worth it when chest prices get so low. I am looking forward to farming elites again with the new expansion.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to falmear For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

I'm not talking about running elites solo. You read my post wrong. I'm talking about running with a group. I can't manage to finish a single run. I always die, every single time. My thumbs are not capable (or my iPhone maybe) of spamming potions as quick as they would be needed in order to stay alive. So what happens is I die constantly, and then have to respawn and run back to the group. In all of the more recent elite dungeons, everyone always runs past the mobs after a certain point. As a sorcerer, even with a speed pet like shiloh and my shield, I can't run past the mobs by myself. So when I die once everyone is past that point, I am then forced to leave the dungeon unable to complete it as there is no way for me to get back to the group. It happens every single time. I've tried dozens of times over the past couple of months and have not managed to finish a single one.

Even in Arena, unless I have an extremely good group, I can't manage to finish all 4 bosses without dying a few times.

As for the achievements, I got those back in the first few days when nobody used to run past the mobs. At the beginning of each expansion, nobody knows how many mobs are needed to clear for boss to spawn, so everyone just clears the whole dungeon. So that's how I got the Nordr achievements. For Dead City and Kraken elites, my rogue buddy Zenlims (who has since been banned) use to help me get the achievements.

I can't imagine that I'm the only sorcerer who has these issues.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    158 Posts

I'm not talking about running elites solo. You read my post wrong. I'm talking about running with a group. I can't manage to finish a single run. I always die, every single time. My thumbs are not capable (or my iPhone maybe) of spamming potions as quick as they would be needed in order to stay alive. So what happens is I die constantly, and then have to respawn and run back to the group. In all of the more recent elite dungeons, everyone always runs past the mobs after a certain point. As a sorcerer, even with a speed pet like shiloh and my shield, I can't run past the mobs by myself. So when I die once everyone is past that point, I am then forced to leave the dungeon unable to complete it as there is no way for me to get back to the group. It happens every single time. I've tried dozens of times over the past couple of months and have not managed to finish a single one.

Even in Arena, unless I have an extremely good group, I can't manage to finish all 4 bosses without dying a few times.

As for the achievements, I got those back in the first few days when nobody used to run past the mobs. At the beginning of each expansion, nobody knows how many mobs are needed to clear for boss to spawn, so everyone just clears the whole dungeon. So that's how I got the Nordr achievements. For Dead City and Kraken elites, my rogue buddy Zenlims (who has since been banned) use to help me get the achievements.

A couple of points (assuming i am reading your post right);

Paragraph 1:
    -You are dealing with survivability issue in a group run.
    -you are struggling to spam pots effectively thus leading to unfinished single run

Paragraph 2:
    -you are dealing with survivability issue in arena runs.again in group not solo.

Paragraph 3:
    -you are uncertain of each map pulls thus you kill all mobs.this resulting to high deaths and pots consumption amounts.
    -you are unable to get achievement points by yourself

Paragraph 4:
    -based on your study average mages in al are experiencing symptomps as mentioned in the prior paragprahs

My questions:
    -How are all these relating to rogue being op whereas you are clearly describing a mage dilemma.if you are referring to your orginal post the comments replied by others are sufficient to contra your first suggestion in this thread.
    -Hang on to that first question.now shouldnt you skewed the title to sorcerer are up?
    -before you compile your argument,are the paragraohs written by describing your experience solely or have you talked to a credible number sample of mages who can vouch for similar experience?
    -if i am to summarize it,is the issue is on a player gameplay/skills or simply and underpowered issue?
    -assuming the above is "fixed" for you how would you respond to other classes who might experience the above that you are currently experiencing?would you be making a valid suggestion or agree that other classes are up now?
    semi-retired

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    403 Posts

I wrote this a while back it may help you:

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...boss&p=1104219

Running back after I die is no problem for me. I use slag and using fireball, time shift and noble effigy & garments of will plus some jewelry (epic) which is STR/int and gelphnir (however its spelt). I have no problems running back. You just need to spam pots. Also if you understand the way time shift drops when you are moving it always drops behind you. So you cast charged shield, move in holding charged fire ball. Let fireball go, knock down mobs, run passed mobs and release time shift which drops behind you on mobs. If we are talking Oltgar, then I keep moving and sometimes use the pillars to block mobs while I squeeze by and spamming pots while I move.

The way I avoid dieing with Frostr is alternating Slag stun and shield. With shield I will survive any attack if I am hit outside of the red zone for example. Then when shield goes down I use Slag to stun, this gives me some time so shields 15 second cool down to count down. So I alternate shield & stun. Also I avoid using time shift because to drop it, you have to get too close and too often I get hit outside the red zone. Also I am good at predicting Frostr's movements since I played this map so often.

For arena I switch to "tank gear" depending on effects & boss. For a mage, I don't care who you are mythics aren't enough for some effects and boss. One boss does a push back when you are hit with the fire from the sword. And I always get pushed into the crystals, so to survive I use as much hp & armor as I get. With shield you get a huge boost the more str you have. I get bounced around so much like a pinball. But frequently I can survive if my shield is up, if not then its likely I will die. But honestly this is the point of the arena to get you to spend plat.

Also I play on the PC because for me I can spam pots faster then on the touch screen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    403 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alfai View Post
    -How are all these relating to rogue being op whereas you are clearly describing a mage dilemma.if you are referring to your orginal post the comments replied by others are sufficient to contra your first suggestion in this thread.
    The problem mages face is they have 20-30% less armor then rogues. This means if you are being hit you have to survive 20-30% more damage. I suggest you play with 20-30% less armor and you'll see what its like to be a mage. Yes mage has crowd control but when stuff goes side ways (tank doesn't hold aggro, hit outside the red zone, etc) then you find yourself in the unenviable situation of trying to live with insufficient armor and spamming pots like mad. In some situations no matter amount of pot spamming is sufficient. So rogues aren't OP IMO, but they are in the sweet spot of having enough armor and doing good damage on the back of aimed shot. A level 26 rogue with the cheapest legendary armor has more armor then a level 31 full mythic mage. That is the undisputed reality. So I get really upset when I see that stun should be nerfed because without this its one less defensive measure I have against bosses & mobs. For PvP fine but you nerf stun in PvE and this is one less tool in our belt to avoid dieing and completing runs fast. So don't nerf my Slag and give me some decent armor. Thats all I ask, is that really so much?

20. The Following User Says Thank You to falmear For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    158 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by falmear View Post
    The problem mages face is they have 20-30% less armor then rogues. This means if you are being hit you have to survive 20-30% more damage. I suggest you play with 20-30% less armor and you'll see what its like to be a mage. Yes mage has crowd control but when stuff goes side ways (tank doesn't hold aggro, hit outside the red zone, etc) then you find yourself in the unenviable situation of trying to live with insufficient armor and spamming pots like mad. In some situations no matter amount of pot spamming is sufficient. So rogues aren't OP IMO, but they are in the sweet spot of having enough armor and doing good damage on the back of aimed shot. A level 26 rogue with the cheapest legendary armor has more armor then a level 31 full mythic mage. That is the undisputed reality. So I get really upset when I see that stun should be nerfed because without this its one less defensive measure I have against bosses & mobs. For PvP fine but you nerf stun in PvE and this is one less tool in our belt to avoid dieing and completing runs fast. So don't nerf my Slag and give me some decent armor. Thats all I ask, is that really so much?
    Whos asking to nerf the stun?i think it was a response towards the constructive suggestion to rogue being perceived op.so they said such thing with pun intended.

Like u.i got upset when other classes are still complaining up till now but making request for selfish reason.and the part of spamming pots gets on my nerves.i had to stretch my fingers and tap like a madmen having to ignore how much damage i make or who didnt attack etc..thts me with my inability and skills i can afford.but asking for more when its clearly not practical?come on.thanks!
    semi-retired

Forum Legend
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts

The pot cool~down would cause many more deaths on toons.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    158 Posts

Dont even get me start on tht pots cooldown.thts ugh
    semi-retired

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    75 Posts

First of all, since when has it been an ISSUE that rogues are OP in PvE? Don't you need someone out there to kill the boss fast and end the pain n suffering? I find it pointless to discuss this further, STS will never make this change. OP doesn't understand what he is talking about. He wants a cooldown timer on pots which would ONLY reduce his or anyone else's or everyone's chances of survivability in elites.

About rogues soloing: Why do you have a problem if someone runs an elite map solo and finishes it successfully?
    I can solo few maps on mage easily. Keep the enemies frozen n keep attacking.

About adding cooldown timer: Try this, form a party (mixed classes as per your choice) go to elite dead city or kraken maps. Before starting your run, make a rule that NOBODY in party spams potions. They can use a potion after 5 second interval. Well, why 5, take 3 second interval!! Let me know how it goes.

AL IGNs: Venom, Poison, Elite, Kill, Dude, Hawk, Jerk, Legend
    OaC Android AF IGNs: -Venom-, -Carnage-, -Dude-

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    158 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Defamed View Post
    First of all, since when has it been an ISSUE that rogues are OP in PvE? Don't you need someone out there to kill the boss fast and end the pain n suffering? I find it pointless to discuss this further, STS will never make this change. OP doesn't understand what he is talking about. He wants a cooldown timer on pots which would ONLY reduce his or anyone else's or everyone's chances of survivability in elites.

About rogues soloing: Why do you have a problem if someone runs an elite map solo and finishes it successfully?
    I can solo few maps on mage easily. Keep the enemies frozen n keep attacking.

About adding cooldown timer: Try this, form a party (mixed classes as per your choice) go to elite dead city or kraken maps. Before starting your run, make a rule that NOBODY in party spams potions. They can use a potion after 5 second interval. Well, why 5, take 3 second interval!! Let me know how it goes.
    Just to add on.i used up to 2k pots running arena for few hrs back to back.no joke for such a decent player with limited skills and knowledge like me.i know that arena eats pots and i also know tht amount of pots i used were absurd.but to date i havent suggested solution or fix to enable me to overcome those with ease or in this case "overpowered".i did ask for sharing of builds and strategy as i evaluated tht its more of gameplay and skill/strategy to outlast the battle. Fyi i used two hands to tap simultaneously and best of all i still die many times despite spamming pots like playing tap2mi can get "wow" or "awesome" by playing tap2 with my finger skills but not in al.i accepted the fact and moved on.

Please dont make such suggestion or fix that is clearly not on behalf of the community or mage class to be specific.tht is not so smart.
    semi-retired