Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taunt?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default Taunt?

So, all I rely on is the HOR 'Challenge' skill for taunt. But I HATE waiting on it to refresh. What else can I use to bring on the mobs and keep them close to me?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Juggernaut, CS, WM, Axe Throw all have taunt effect
    [Newcomx, Newcomy, & Newcomz]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Cs and wm are good taunt skills, wm probably better for bigger groups, at only affects one target but is great for bosses especially with feeble and armour reduction

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Chest Splitter and WindMill have high taunt and they hits multiple targets. Axe Throw hits only one target. For mobs cs and wm works good and boss Cs and AT. Juggernaut, not much taunt but a great surviving skill

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    78 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Explicit Fire View Post
    Chest Splitter and WindMill have high taunt and they hits multiple targets. Axe Throw hits only one target. For mobs cs and wm works good and boss Cs and AT. Juggernaut, not much taunt but a great surviving skill
    jugg skill wat makes warrior OP in elites lol.
    bt cd is so long

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by utpal View Post
    jugg skill wat makes warrior OP in elites lol.
    bt cd is so long
    yes I agree. It's my main skill in elites. I didn't said its useless but the taunt from jaug isn't much good. It has low range and i didn't think it's not necessary. For mobs I use horn and windmill. It's enough. Honestly i didn't tried these new elites yet too busy irl

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    411 Posts

i would go for speed skills,

lean more towards hor/ cs/ jugg for taunts - cs lower cool down, axe only taunts 1
    not big fan of WM.. unless im doing pve kills hate the way it locks ur skills up

Don't waste my time, don't waste yours

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    528 Posts

Based on testing during free respect I have a rating system of how strong of a taunt skills have. I have rated the taunt skills on a 1-5 scale where 1 is strongest and 5 is the weakest.

For large pulls:

1) WM (hits multiple targets multiple times)

2) CS (hits 3 targets and has a short cool down)

3) HoR (arguably #2 if you do wide spread pulls)

4) Jugg (rubbish, but hits multiple targets)

5) Axe (only because it is single target)

For a single target:

1) Axe (regains aggro immidiately)

2) CS (short cool down)

3) WM (hits multiple times per cast)

4) HoR (aggro gained is oddly short term during boss fights with this skill)

5) Jugg (I consider this the weakest of the taunt skill)

---
    Another facftor that many ignore is damage. Avatars that deal higher damage can pull aggro more easily. Here is the scaling of the damage skills, again, 1-4 where 1 is the best and 5 the worst.

For Large Pulls:

1) WM (multiple hits on multiple targets resuikts in a very high overall damage output)

2) CS (short cool down and hits 3 targets)

3) SS (area based damage)

4) Axe (only hits one target)

For a Single Target:

1) Axe (high single point damage and debuffs the target's armor by 10%)

2) WM (When it lands a critical hit every hit after will also cbe a critical blow per cast)

3) CS (this is #2 if you do not use VB)

4) SS (this skill is popular for stun and dash. It is the lowest damage of any warrior skill for a single target)

---

I use WM because it is in the top 2 of everyone of those lists. SS is valuable in a boss fight due to its dash capabilities but it is not part of any of my lvl41 skill maps for elite. SS is, however, a good skill for normal maps. Axe is now part of my spec for boss fights due to its high damage, taunt, and power debuffs (-10% armor and feeble. Feeble is a debuff that prevents targets from landing critical hits).
    Last edited by Crowsfoot; 03-27-2014 at 09:07 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    78 Posts

i m using CS (for feebling 3enemies)
    VB, jugg(for armour buff and stun immunity), horn.
    m doing good in new elite. except in map4

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    328 Posts

well, as far as i know, ticking heals can ridiculously aggro mobs...

if enemy can target a healed-by-time party member, instead of attacking the party member, the enemy walk closer to the healer, so for me HoR (charged) is always the #1 taunting skills with CS as the #2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

IMHO... u need at least 3 taunt skill to keep aggro for continuous taunting. Just pay attention to the skill cool down. For me, i use HoR, Jug, and CS for taunting.
    [Newcomx, Newcomy, & Newcomz]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    73 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Crowsfoot View Post

For large pulls:

1) WM (hits 3 targets every 1,5 second)

2) CS (hits 3 targets (4 with upgrade) and has a 3s CD)

3) HoR (arguably #2 if you do wide spread pulls)

4) Jugg (rubbish, but hits multiple targets)

5) Axe (only because it is single target)

---
    Another facftor that many ignore is damage. Avatars that deal higher damage can pull aggro more easily. Here is the scaling of the damage skills, again, 1-4 where 1 is the best and 5 the worst.
    (usefull for Glaive users, Entombed Hammer of Warfare should be good too, but with mythic armour and helm. For thoose legendary warriors I recommend shield with all taunt skills)
    For some bosses, you can only spam CS and wait for their red charging attack with HoR <= no aggro lost, no CD on skills (as after WM) and no crit on you. (Of course, when CD on HoR make whatever :-))
    Have someone tested amount of heal gain from VB? In some case, when I aggro lot of mobs in lower elites, I use VB when I have half of life and mobs health me to 100%.

PS: there have to be some "scare" effect on WM, sometimes I´m whirling, big red exclamation mark appears, and mob running out of me. Its difficult to whirling and run forward in the same time, don´t try it at home, you end on the floor

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,020 Posts

I would like to print this out and hand to tanks b4 they run an elite map.

Hehe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

I just traded SS for CS and have seen a difference. It takes a little to get used to not having SS anymore but the short cool down on CS is great. I previously used SS to get back to the front of the pt (which is less of an issue atm. Thanks STS for making a tanks dream in new elite) or getting back to a boss when I avoid their red zone. I have been able to adapt and run all of the maps I did before with this build and feel I can taunt and hold aggro better.

I have WM, CS, JUGG, and HoR. All taunt. Many are going 5 skill set spec but im lazy and dont wanna switch between mobs and boss fights. I like having crit, dam, arm, and str passives maxed also. AT can be effective but I prefer the others over it as it is more for specific situations. This is also a decent spec for a maul so you can capitalize on your skills for damage instead of dps with CS short cool down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    528 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jirikjurasek View Post
    For some bosses, you can only spam CS and wait for their red charging attack with HoR <= no aggro lost, no CD on skills (as after WM) and no crit on you. (Of course, when CD on HoR make whatever :-))
    Have someone tested amount of heal gain from VB? In some case, when I aggro lot of mobs in lower elites, I use VB when I have half of life and mobs health me to 100%.

PS: there have to be some "scare" effect on WM, sometimes I´m whirling, big red exclamation mark appears, and mob running out of me. Its difficult to whirling and run forward in the same time, don´t try it at home, you end on the floor
    1) "Scare effect" sounds like hog wash, I have never seen it.

2) Heal buff from VB is about +25%, I go from about 280-320 a tic to 360-410 a tic

3) some bosses (and mobs, like the shuyal mages) require you to charge CS to apply feeble.

4) spec around gear. If you cant afford myhtic armor/heplm you should go for a msurvivl build OR do small pulls. With mythic costs as low as they are you should be able to obtain them, and an off-tanking like weapon (entombed, architect, etc) within a month.

5) shield weapons are my favorite for elite if you are all legendary. Pets are also good to rely on. I strongly suggest using either koko or prance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    528 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by extrapayah View Post
    well, as far as i know, ticking heals can ridiculously aggro mobs...

if enemy can target a healed-by-time party member, instead of attacking the party member, the enemy walk closer to the healer, so for me HoR (charged) is always the #1 taunting skills with CS as the #2
    HoR can stay aggro, but will not from some rogues who are engaged on a single group of mobs. WM always takes hold of the aggro of every mob I touch. For that reason I place WM at #1.

The short cool down of CS makes it a great taunting skill but you have to move around a lot to taunt different mobs. Movement can cause you to lose aggro which the short cool down can make up for. The other large downside to CS is that it taunts those in front of you. This mean you have to focus largely on your avatar instead of your party members (I stare at the party stat bars 60%+ of the time). When using WM, which is an area attack, I can quickly glance at the mobs and adjust my position as needed to maintain aggro.

By focusing on stat bars I can see which players are in trouble and respond by healing them and stealing any aggro they may have. I ise maintenance instead of preparation. You want to keep your party alive, and I believe I do a good job at that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    73 Posts

1) "Scare effect" sounds like hog wash, I have never seen it.
    Try it with small lizards, I have WM on, spam CS and my girlfriend say "make something with that small smelly beast" :-)

The short cool down of CS makes it a great taunting skill but you have to move around a lot to taunt different mobs. Movement can cause you to lose aggro which the short cool down can make up for. The other large downside to CS is that it taunts those in front of you. This mean you have to focus largely on your avatar instead of your party members (I stare at the party stat bars 60%+ of the time). When using WM, which is an area attack, I can quickly glance at the mobs and adjust my position as needed to maintain aggro.

By focusing on stat bars I can see which players are in trouble and respond by healing them and stealing any aggro they may have. I ise maintenance instead of preparation. You want to keep your party alive, and I believe I do a good job at that.
    Love these wide sort of styles, no type is wrong :-) I think, that everyone who know that "tanking" is not same as "talking" have fun with teammates

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    528 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jirikjurasek View Post
    Try it with small lizards, I have WM on, spam CS and my girlfriend say "make something with that small smelly beast" :-)

Love these wide sort of styles, no type is wrong :-) I think, that everyone who know that "tanking" is not same as "talking" have fun with teammates
    No scare effect found

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

The big red exclamation mark on top of mobs is taunt effect. If you observe you will see it always when use heal/wm/cs/AT/jaug when they taunts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    528 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Explicit Fire View Post
    The big red exclamation mark on top of mobs is taunt effect. If you observe you will see it always when use heal/wm/cs/AT/jaug when they taunts
    I am seeing it when mobs are first engaged after some testing in WT4. However, I am not seeing it every time a taunting skill is cast.