Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Economic woes of inflation in the land of Arlor....

Guardian of Alterra FluffNStuff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    I don't see that connection at all. The arcane staff is at a stable, reasonable price.

The arcane ring? It is not. This is coming from someone that has made 60m+ merchanting them alone. If the price lowered, it would only affect my profit margin negatively as I need the crazy demand to justify gemming rings with tarlok wind gems. Otherwise, the cost just does not play out favorably.

However, at the same time that I am profiting off of this, I realized: isn't it a bit ridiculous at these prices? We're talking about a ring here, a ring! Is it really worth more than a Midas Touch or is it that the rich have a lot of hyperinflated gold in their hands and have nothing to do with it?
    DING DING DING DING DING!!!!

This is not a 'we need to fix the economy issue', it is we need something, ANYTHING, that actually excites players enough to get the gold OUT of their stash and back into circulation. All the suggestions above are designed to take from the rich, but the real solution is to find what the RICH WANT and give it to them. That is how to get the gold from the rich into the pockets of the rest of the players, and not just the rich players that make it to 100M, but the 'dirt poor rich' sitting around with 10-50m in their stash. Enough of this 'boring itemization', this game needs new high end items and it needs them soon.

The Hundred Acre Legends:
    HunnySniper - HunnyStorm
    Please Fill out the End Game Pet Survey!|||||| What's With that Shield Icon?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FluffNStuff For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

Well i agree mostly with your original post. But, i dont want lockeds to drop random level items, sorry i just dont. If i farm with my twink on luck and get some lockeds i wanna make sure im spending my plat on something that toon can actually use.
    You say no demand for.older myth and arcane.items? Like what? I also don't see prices dropping so low on these items they need to be curbed. And like you said it's plat users that are mainly gaining these items to sell, so if prices do go down it'll only help us middle classes.
    I do agree that some prices are ridiculous but look at some of the best pink items, still highly priced only bc they are still sought after because they are next best thing to an absurd 4m gold ring (or much more in some cases).
    Also, someone else mentioned this., most people who can't afford the best gear are stuck atm and very bored with the game. Even with good gear is still hard to find a pt that doesn't take forever to get thru new elite Tindrin and then try yo get them to run for more than one map. So like in real life those that can, do, those that can't, don't and the rich get richer and the rest, well we get bored and go play candy crush and become more poor.
    So yeah i agree with most of your original statements but definetly not all. Maybe we just need a robin hood :-)

Last edited by Kellhus; 04-14-2014 at 04:02 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FluffNStuff View Post

This is not a 'we need to fix the economy issue', it is we need something, ANYTHING, that actually excites players enough to get the gold OUT of their stash and back into circulation. All the suggestions above are designed to take from the rich, but the real solution is to find what the RICH WANT and give it to them. That is how to get the gold from the rich into the pockets of the rest of the players, and not just the rich players that make it to 100M, but the 'dirt poor rich' sitting around with 10-50m in their stash. Enough of this 'boring itemization', this game needs new high end items and it needs them soon.
    I agree, it is most likely that the itemization system itself is flawed.
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts

I don't see that connection at all. The arcane staff is at a stable, reasonable price.

The arcane ring? It is not. This is coming from someone that has made 60m+ merchanting them alone. If the price lowered, it would only affect my profit margin negatively as I need the crazy demand to justify gemming rings with tarlok wind gems. Otherwise, the cost just does not play out favorably.

However, at the same time that I am profiting off of this, I realized: isn't it a bit ridiculous at these prices? We're talking about a ring here, a ring! Is it really worth more than a Midas Touch or is it that the rich have a lot of hyperinflated gold in their hands and have nothing to do with it?
    One word can solve all your problems --- "wait".

Those players pay 100m so they can enjoying the arcane ring before the majority. But once most of those "midas" player own their rings (probably after one month or two), the potential buyers of extra arcane rings on the market will be those "gold finger" players, then next...

You are not suppose to make a thread to manipulate the economy of the game. I just find so funny you agree with this thread after having made big profit of ring business. For me, it looks like you try to buy ring back with lower expense as soon as possible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Energizeric View Post
    Why do you assume I have some personal thing to gain from this? I don't. This post came about because last night I was chatting with Zeus and he was saying how ridiculous it was that he could sell arcane rings for 100m, and that things were starting to get out of hand. It has reached a point where one cannot save for these items as the price keeps rising faster than even the best farmer can earn money. So if you wanted the best arcane item and you set out to save up 100m for it, by the time you reach 100m, the price for the best arcane item will be 200m, and so on. This pattern needs to be halted, if not reversed.

Anyone who is not a plat spender can benefit from this kind of fix. The best items should always be in reach of non-plat spenders who work hard and put in lots of hours playing regularly. Through season 4, that always seemed to be true. Starting last season with Ker'shal Scepters selling for 60m, this started to get out of hand, and now we have arcane rings going for 100m. What will happen next season? 200m arcane items? When does it stop?
    So what ur saying is it's too expensive for you to ever save enough for an arcane ring by farming? That may be true today but just like mythics it won't be forever.
    rogue ~ retired GM Enigmatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by csyui View Post
    One word can solve all your problems --- "wait".

Those players pay 100m so they can enjoying the arcane ring before the majority. But once most of those "midas" player own their rings (probably after one month or two), the potential buyers of extra arcane rings on the market will be those "gold finger" players, then next...

You are not suppose to make a thread to manipulate the economy of the game. I just find so funny you agree with this thread after having made big profit of ring business. For me, it looks like you try to buy ring back with lower expense as soon as possible.
    I can also buy the ring right now just fine and still have another 70m leftover. Infact, I am purchasing another and crafting again to make yet another 15-20m profit margin. Isn't that ridiculous? By supplying players with what they need, I can make 15-20m in one trade?

Expense isn't a huge factor to me, since I've already paid off a ring through merchanting. Thus, buying back a ring for the lowest expense as soon as possible statement is incorrect. Anyone who is dealing with the business of these rings knows that being cheap is not how you profit. The demand is sky high and the supply is very low. The second a shard hits the market, you pay what the seller is asking (no questions asked) and get to crafting that ring. If you waste time dilly dallying in bargaining and lowering expenses, you will lose opportunities at significant profit.

In this case, if I waste time waiting for the price to drop so I can recraft, I waste a small window of time for me to profit.
    Last edited by Zeus; 04-14-2014 at 04:14 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts

Correct i am with this suggestion.

I also add that when these new items come out... i am talking of gears much more better than the current mythics and old arcanes there should be a simultaneous countepart realease of farmable legendary gears still better than current mythics on same level or slightly worser than current arcanes and worser than the new mythic and arcane gears.

We need to restabilize the circle. I am starting to think there is no actual solution to the problem nor is there really a problem but rather the inflation or incapacity to make decent gold is something that is born with the economy itself and the only way to solve it is by introducing new stuff time after time and making the course of event repeat itself, restarting from square 1.

In conclusion the itemization system is a good idea BUT it will only work if for every release of a mythic or arcane item there is a release of a very good legendary counterpart.
    Last edited by Anarchist; 04-14-2014 at 04:13 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Anarchist For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    403 Posts

The way I see it is people are using locked crates as gold ATMs. They feed in enough cash either to loot what they want or loot enough to sell and buy what they want. Its not uncommon to hear stories of people spending 10k-20k plat. And I am sure there are plenty of people spending more. The other problem which most people don't seem to realize is crafting is inflating the price. To craft an arcane ring, people are spending 300 plat so they don't have to wait 5 days. Then spending plat on getting all exceptional gems. So these people are expecting a return on their plat investment.

I expect this is the same thing will happen on the next round of mythics. Because I expect that they will need to be crafted. Because it seems like STS wants you to pay 3 times on one item. Looting, crafting, upgrading. Because of this, the price on rare items will continue to rise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    403 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EliteFamily View Post
    In conclusion the itemization system is a good idea BUT it will only work if for every release of a mythic or arcane item there is a release of a very good legendary counterpart.
    Itemization is a failure. Why buy now when you know something better will be released? This was the same problem as last season. I'm not sure why everyone thought this was a great idea.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to falmear For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by falmear View Post
    The way I see it is people are using locked crates as gold ATMs. They feed in enough cash either to loot what they want or loot enough to sell and buy what they want. Its not uncommon to hear stories of people spending 10k-20k plat. And I am sure there are plenty of people spending more. The other problem which most people don't seem to realize is crafting is inflating the price. To craft an arcane ring, people are spending 300 plat so they don't have to wait 5 days. Then spending plat on getting all exceptional gems. So these people are expecting a return on their plat investment.

I expect this is the same thing will happen on the next round of mythics. Because I expect that they will need to be crafted. Because it seems like STS wants you to pay 3 times on one item. Looting, crafting, upgrading. Because of this, the price on rare items will continue to rise.
    This is also a very valid point.

Obtaining exceptional gems is a very risky business. Heck, I went through 70 tarlok gems the other night to only obtain 2 supers. On gold alone, that's over a 5m cost. Plat expense is another thing entirely.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts

Lol selling arcane ring 110m.

After a while anything not discontinued goes down.

Sooner or later there will be enough arcane rings circulating in the market.
    And this is what will happen:

#1 The ring will gradually start dropping.
    #2 It will stabilize at a certain amount for a very long time( a amount still very vey high).
    #3 Then when the offer starts exceeding the demand it's price will start dropping again.
    #4 Then it will restabilize.
    Everytime it drops fresh buyers that couldn't afford it earlier will start making the demand rise till when everyone in that range is not satisfied. When the offer exceeds the demand the price will shrink again till when sellers find new buyers. This does not only apply to the ring.

Right now the relation demand/offer is making the meter go red cause the demand greatly beat the offer. Infact there is no relation. The arcane ring is wanted at any cost.
    Last edited by Anarchist; 04-14-2014 at 04:37 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

This is also a very valid point.

Obtaining exceptional gems is a very risky business. Heck, I went through 70 tarlok gems the other night to only obtain 2 supers. On gold alone, that's over a 5m cost. Plat expense is another thing entirely.
    :| i dont even have 70 tarlock gems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    738 Posts

Itemization is a failure. Why buy now when you know something better will be released? This was the same problem as last season. I'm not sure why everyone thought this was a great idea.
    Why I thought it was a good idea? Because my assumption is that by itemization STS meant

1. Helmets
    2. Weapons
    3. Armor
    4. Amulets
    etc etc

This way of doing it was poorly thought out I think. It causes exactly the problem you stated. By itemizing different type of items, THEN there is a real drive to get it. And people will spend now on the best item of that type rather than waiting for the next best thing.

This way of itemization is no different than waiting for the next season's gear to be released rather than buying the current soon to be obsolete gear.

AL: Rare (Rogue)/Common (Warrior)/Mythic (Sorcerer)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Rare For This Useful Post:

Guardian of Alterra FluffNStuff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aedenos View Post
    Why I thought it was a good idea? Because my assumption is that by itemization STS meant

1. Helmets
    2. Weapons
    3. Armor
    4. Amulets
    etc etc

This way of doing it was poorly thought out I think. It causes exactly the problem you stated. By itemizing different type of items, THEN there is a real drive to get it. And people will spend now on the best item of that type rather than waiting for the next best thing.

This way of itemization is no different than waiting for the next season's gear to be released rather than buying the current soon to be obsolete gear.
    Totally! I thought it was a different exciting thing each month, not a slightly less bland everything!

The Hundred Acre Legends:
    HunnySniper - HunnyStorm
    Please Fill out the End Game Pet Survey!|||||| What's With that Shield Icon?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhus View Post
    :| i dont even have 70 tarlock gems.

Haha, I had to empty AH's stock multiple times last night!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Zeus For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

Haha, I had to empty AH's stock multiple times last night!
    :| this is what makes my mad. I feel like a knat under the thumb of the wealthy.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Kellhus For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by csyui View Post
    I could be wrong, but are you trying to lower the current price of arcane staff you are looking for by making this kind of thread?
    I got my arcane staff today, so that's not it. Now I own one so lowering its price would not be in my best interest anymore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    403 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Energizeric View Post
    I got my arcane staff today, so that's not it. Now I own one so lowering its price would not be in my best interest anymore.
    Congrats.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

OK, I'll bite. Explain to me WHY the arcane ring cost 100M gold and I will believe you both understand the economy and are not just trying to manipulate it.
    The arcane ring cost 100m because an increasing number of players are now super rich and have more than 100m, and many of these players have so much gold that they don't know what to do with it, so they can offer gold cap for this item that they really want. Normally the price on an item like this would be high for a very short period of time, and then drop once those few super wealthy players have made their purchase. That is what happened with both the Kershal & Maul, and with Samael and Singe. But I don't see that happening this time around. I think the price will stay at 100m for the remainder of the season if no changes are made. There are enough super wealthy players who can afford that high price.

The reason for the increasing number of super wealthy players is the gold coming in locked crates. That is the only big change we have seen in gold being added to the game since its inception. Last summer some gold influx into the economy was needed to jump start things. Now farming is very healthy and I see tons of people running elites. The elite legendary items that the mid-level players use have a nice healthy price which encourages farming. The problem is only with these super high priced arcane and mythic items (like the razorbacks). So to solve the problem, you must cause these super rare items to drop in price without causing the elite legendary items to drop in price. That would be the goal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

I don't disagree with anything you said. The problem is that we tried this in season 4 and it resulted in huge numbers of players getting bored after 2 months and everyone stopped farming elites. So this new itemization strategy was designed to keep things interesting for a longer period of time. The developers did say there would be some growing pains to this strategy, the first being that the level 41 legendary items like the archon rings and dragonscale armors would probably be only slightly better than the level 36 items, and we are seeing that now. I suspect in another month we are going to see some more items released to make things more interesting. But you are correct, we need some interesting items to get the rich folks spending their money.

But we also need another gold sink of some sort, but one that does not affect poor players. STS actually had a good opportunity to create one with this arcane ring, and instead they missed the boat. Just like crafting the mythic armor and helm cost 100k, they could have had a fee for crafting the mythic ring, perhaps another component that cost a bundle. Considering the value of the ring, they could have made it cost 5m or so and still it would be no issue for most people crafting the ring, and would serve as a nice gold sink for the wealthy. I think they need to think about implementing things like this.