Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: special item for forum members

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Have to agree! Last thing I want to see is more post about thing not relevant to the game or development of it. How about an epic shield of some kind that is purely for looks, not play. Perhaps a shield of equal value to you level and based of the Isis or Thoth stat. That way it's not the best but definitely not the worst.
    Rusalio~Lvl 75 Tank|Dexalio~Lvl 75 Archer|MaGalio~Lvl 76 Mage|[COLOR="red"]| plus 100 more...Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

I like the idea but there are some issues:

1.) Theres a PL shield and a Community shield already. They are amongst the rarest items in the game. Adding a forum shield would lower the rarity since people would often confuse the super rare shields for forum shields. That would be like them adding similar droid outfits into the platinum store and the rare 12-16 original droid outfits would no longer be seen as rare or priceless.

2.) Players would create forum accounts to get the shield then just abandon the account and leave it inactive. It's a bad way to keep accurate counts of regular new forum accounts per month and total active users.
    • You could fix this by making a minimum post count for example. Like 1000, but then you will see people spamming the forums just for a shield.

- Forum spam isn't good and the shield should be rewarded for true forumer's. You would see people who make posts called "trying to get 1000 posts" then keep on replying going "post, post, post, post, post, post, post, post, post, post, post, post, post" trying to boost their post count.

3.) If it said PL, then people could impersonate devs and try scamming.

So I think it would have to be a vanity helmet, and there is no sure way to obtain it. Just doing good deeds on the forums and hope to be recognized and rewarded.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pharcyde View Post
    I like the idea but there are some issues:

1.) Theres a PL shield and a Community shield already. They are amongst the rarest items in the game. Adding a forum shield would lower the rarity since people would often confuse the super rare shields for forum shields. That would be like them adding similar droid outfits into the platinum store and the rare 12-16 original droid outfits would no longer be seen as rare or priceless.

2.) Players would create forum accounts to get the shield then just abandon the account and leave it inactive. It's a bad way to keep accurate counts of regular new forum accounts per month and total active users.
    • You could fix this by making a minimum post count for example. Like 1000, but then you will see people spamming the forums just for a shield.

- Forum spam isn't good and the shield should be rewarded for true forumer's. You would see people who make posts called "trying to get 1000 posts" then keep on replying going "post, post, post, post, post, post, post, post, post, post, post, post, post" trying to boost their post count.

3.) If it said PL, then people could impersonate devs and try scamming.

So I think it would have to be a vanity helmet, and there is no sure way to obtain it. Just doing good deeds on the forums and hope to be recognized and rewarded.
    Like I said, no matter what the item, for something like this to work, it has to be done without warning, be only for people who have accounts before the announcement is made. And people should have only a week to claim their item so it's for active users and not people who show up once every two months. That's the only way I can see it being fair and not causing useless posts or accounts created just for this purpose.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

So should I start spamming now to get 1000+ posts in anticipation? Honestly I just don't think they should give out anything based on post count. Whose to say the posts all contribute to the game, and are not just OT or people talking to their friends? If the item is not being given out in game (antennae events) then people should have to work for it (antennae for haiku contest, the current video guide event, community shields, etc.)
    Kujen 56 Bird / Rahki 55 Bear / Silvanya 55 Mage

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kujen View Post
    So should I start spamming now to get 1000+ posts in anticipation? Honestly I just don't think they should give out anything based on post count. Whose to say the posts all contribute to the game, and are not just OT or people talking to their friends? If the item is not being given out in game (antennae events) then people should have to work for it (antennae for haiku contest, the current video guide event, community shields, etc.)
    Yeah I agree, thats why I made another bullet saying the problems that brings and the way it should be implemented.

The 1000 post thing is just to prevent people from coming and going for items, but we will become spamville

Randomly awarding contributive users would be the best way. Its likely that most people who have 1000+ post counts will be rewarded anyways.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pharcyde View Post
    Yeah I agree, thats why I made another bullet saying the problems that brings and the way it should be implemented.

The 1000 post thing is just to prevent people from coming and going for items, but we will become spamville

Randomly awarding contributive users would be the best way. Its likely that most people who have 1000+ post counts will be rewarded anyways.
    I don't think post counts should have anything to do with it. It shouldn't be an ongoing thing. Make it a one-time gift for those who are already on the forums. IF they do it.
    That's the easiest way to prevent useless threads and/or account creations.