Thread: Is Aion Dead

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Casual gamers who are new to the "RPG" experience, or have only played a light RPG, will not be able to immerse themselves in the role playing aspect of a character. I would be willing to say that at least 90% of players in any MMORPG do not understand this distinction, decide to skirt around it, or simply refuse to differentiate between themselves and their character's persona. The majority of characters are really just an extension of an individual player's attitude, disposition, and preferences. For many gamers, it would require too much "acting" to play a character as a different persona than their real life persona. It's just difficult for some people, or they have not experienced it properly [due to playing with other inexperienced casuals in a game like, say, WoW].

But as far as bad marketing is concerned, I don't think there is such a thing anymore. After going to school for business, I realized any publicity can be used for good in the right light. The only bad publicity WoW gets is when an established and respected player on a mature server decides to quit and tries to convince his friends/guildmates/anyone reading their particular server's forum to quit as well. And lets be honest - that's like a drop in a bucket. Jumping ship is the only thing that I see ever having a negative impact on a player-to-player basis. No game has even approached the same plane of existance as WoW, in terms of challenging in their particular market segment. Nothing can kill WoW except a theoretical WoW 2.0; whatever the 2.0 will be remains to be seen.
    Last edited by Diz; 05-21-2010 at 01:41 PM. Reason: grammar