Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: STG, please change your moderator hours...or give trusted forumers theead deletion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    769 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BaronB View Post
    So what almost like not a bot but a person whos actually just logged in spamming ? I mean the spammer guy could log into one of the accounts, then leave and let the bot spam
    Might be worth banning all accounts associated with the ip at least prehaps... but what if the spammer uses a VPN?
    Replies in bold

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Item:2056056
    Then what happens when people are chosen and those who aren't chosen... People cause too much drama over this game already it will just act as another sign of 'favouritism'.
    I agree with your statement.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ravager For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    769 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    The spam bot is getting very annoying especially when I am trying to reference threads. So, may STG please change moderator hours or give trusted forum group thread deletion powers specifically to be used for spam bot?

We used to have this before and if the spam cannot be contained, this seems to be an appropriate solution. The spam bot seems to specifically post during moderator off hours.
    um...before?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,042 Posts

So what almost like not a bot but a person whos actually just logged in spamming ?

Might be worth banning all accounts associated with the ip at least prehaps...

Who knows but giving players control... nope.

*sips tea*
    They're bots. Automated spammers programmed to fill in any and all forms they find online. These are not real people yet they can be quite sophisticated and it is possible for a lot of them to get through many captchas.

However, they are not able to read a sentence and do what it says. If you say "please type the word green in the box", they will just see it as a box that needs to be filled. They have no way to know to type "green" in the box to pass the test. If this is required in order to register, they can't sign up, which means they also can't make new topics and posts.

And I totally agree, giving players the ability to delete threads would be a disaster in many ways.

Another option is to disallow thread creation when the mods are sleeping. That wouldn't hurt the game, and people could still respond to threads but would have to wait till morning to post new ideas. This option is not as user-friendly as the first, but it would also help.
    You never know what you can do until you try
    There are two ways of doing something: right, and again.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Serancha For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts

If I were STS, I wouldn't give a single player access to delete threads. Too risky.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to obee For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Serancha View Post
    They're bots. Automated spammers programmed to fill in any and all forms they find online. These are not real people yet they can be quite sophisticated and it is possible for a lot of them to get through many captchas.

However, they are not able to read a sentence and do what it says. If you say "please type the word green in the box", they will just see it as a box that needs to be filled. They have no way to know to type "green" in the box to pass the test. If this is required in order to register, they can't sign up, which means they also can't make new topics and posts.

And I totally agree, giving players the ability to delete threads would be a disaster in many ways.

Another option is to disallow thread creation when the mods are sleeping. That wouldn't hurt the game, and people could still respond to threads but would have to wait till morning to post new ideas. This option is not as user-friendly as the first, but it would also help.
    Sorry im aware of what bots are and what they can be capable of, asnt surr if ruizhe was insinuating that the bots might actually be a person >. <

+1 to the rest of the post tho ^.^
    Godfather of Arlor
    HSGuild.com | HS Thread | H.O.F | HS Store | HS Discord

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts

Exclamation Idea

Hello,

I used to play Runescape, developped by Jagex. That game was kinda 100x bigger then AL and other legends (with 100 000+ players online at same moment back in 2006). They started a very special and secret program in 2004, for very specific players. They gave to some players Moderator power, increasing the staff number up to 5000.

In other words, they had ''jMods'' which means Jagex moderators, including the developpers in that category; and they had ''pMods'' which is player moderators. The players moderators have very limited powers. They can only temporarly mute people, and had some priority in reports.

Many people wanted to know how to become moderator, and nobody never knew. Jagex didn't say much about that program until a recent podcast...
    How did we knew about pMods at the beginning? We saw them, they are very rare. J-mods would have a golden crown in their chat, and P-mods would have silver crowns.

Here be a little image of it, with both moderators.
    Name:  téléchargement.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  11.7 KB

I agree with Zeus' idea and basically suggest to create a such program and randomly look for some people who can take the duty. They could have purple names. I suggest that you change some things in the program to give permanent colored names. It would be good for Mods/devs so they don't need to use the admin interface, and some for people of your choice.

For more information, here be a link. It's a podcast, you'll have to listen to it.
    http://runescape.podbean.com/e/pmods-exposed/

Here be a wikia page, with more detailed infos:
    http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Player_Moderator

Dear STG, you have the right to learn from other games, and we want to help you improving it.
    Those players would temporarily mute people in the game for very good reasons, would have some priority in reporting scams and bugs, and inappropriate names, maybe have some control over forums and absolutely nothing else.

Why giving them that priority?

because they know the rules perfectly and apply them
    because they know how to explain them
    Because you know they will do it right
    because you saw in the forums and in game that are decent people
    because they are active, nice, smart, clever, funny
    because they know how to deal with problems
    because they do decent reports (means doesn't report for tiny stuff)
    because they won't share their account or sell it
    because they will not show it off
    and way more reasons that you'd discuss with a cup of tea.

Quote Originally Posted by Remiem;
    Carmine,

I really appreciate you taking the time to write us about this issue. As was mentioned by obee, our support team is limited but they do investigate each report thoroughly. As you can imagine, thorough investigations can take some time which means that there can be a delay between when you send in a report and when it is acted upon. Being that this is a rising concern in the community, though, I'll gather our folks together to have a chat about what ways we can better serve the community on this front. I do apologize for any negative experiences you may have had from players exhibiting behavior like this. I certainly don't want it in our game and I know you don't either. I'll create another thread as I find out more from the team. For now, I'm going to close this up to prevent drama.

Thanks again for your concern and well thought out message. <3

Remiem
    It's basically choosing a couple players you know they will do good moderators. And you're not forced to give that colored name... just give them the priority.
    It will be a honor for them to work at your side. You should increase your team, make it secretly. You should take it off when used wrong by the Player moderator... Beleive me you'll see the results through the mod's deeds and the people in game/in forums.

Regards,
    Dragoonclaws
    Last edited by Dragoonclaws; 02-18-2015 at 03:56 AM. Reason: typos, they are maybe some more of them, lemme check, adds a cup of tea

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Dragoonclaws For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Remiem View Post
    Just to fill you guys in, I added some additional anti-spam measures this morning that should help immensely. We will continue to monitor the situation going forward and definitely consider your suggestions if things don't improve. We really appreciate your feedback.
    Hi Remi offtopic I know but just wanted to thank you properly for your response to my thread on bullying/scamming I also wanted to apologise if it sounded aggressive as I was a little het up at the time lol and it certainly wasn't an indictment of you. Looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with <3

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

u can also make me moderator

Konan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,042 Posts

Sorry im aware of what bots are and what they can be capable of, asnt surr if ruizhe was insinuating that the bots might actually be a person >. <

+1 to the rest of the post tho ^.^
    A lot of people aren't aware of what they are and what they do. Sometimes stating the obvious helps make a point clear to the rest of those reading.

Now gimme that tea... it smells delicious.
    You never know what you can do until you try
    There are two ways of doing something: right, and again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Serancha View Post
    A lot of people aren't aware of what they are and what they do. Sometimes stating the obvious helps make a point clear to the rest of those reading.

Now gimme that tea... it smells delicious.
    Touche.

I almost put in some sugar into your tea, until I realized your sweet enough already :3
    Godfather of Arlor

16. The Following User Says Thank You to BaronB For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,462 Posts

Just to fill you guys in, I added some additional anti-spam measures this morning that should help immensely. We will continue to monitor the situation going forward and definitely consider your suggestions if things don't improve. We really appreciate your feedback.
    Well it didn't work. The day after your post the pl side was flooded by it.
    I don't see why there can't be a cool off period like there is for pm's.
    In any case it's extremely rare for anyone to legitimately have to start more than a couple threads a day, so why not make a limit to around 3 posts a day?

I don't think players should have any extra ability, I remember how stupid people acted when goa & aoa programs were around. I found all that phony posturing way more annoying than this miss Cleo wannabe.
    Last edited by Suentous PO; 02-18-2015 at 09:47 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts

I could go on about the pompous attitude it would instigate amongst the "chosen few" towards others if they were given extra privileges.

Could also point out about how as humans we learn from past mistakes and history also proven that given powers you will get players who will abuse the privilege one way or another..

But I hope to reach peoples better judgement and urge people not to go along with the idea of giving powers to players.

Theres plenty of methods and ways to combat spam bots out there that should be implemented first before such crazy ideas are entertained.

Lets look to logic rather then mindless thinking the first idea suggested is a good one.
    Godfather of Arlor

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ruizhe View Post
    um...before?
    Yes, there was a time where this was granted before you were on forums but it was removed because some specific players abused it & locked other people's threads without reason or unlocked developer locked threads.

Thus, this is why I said to bring it back but only allow said group to lock spam threads. However, Remiem says she has a fix out so this may not be needed altogether. Hopefully, that is the case.
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,020 Posts

I could go on about the pompous attitude it would instigate amongst the "chosen few" towards others if they were given extra privileges.
    Because there isn't already pompous attitudes and superiority complexes in AL forums, right?

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KingFu For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts

If you're scared of a disaster... imagine yourself given that power, would you start deleting thread you do not like??? Nope, you'll delete the specific spam everybody is complaining about. Well, that's what I would do. I would also place wrong placed threads in their place. Just do what's asked. STS would have a history of my changes, look them up and agree them, or roll em back.

scared of what lol... not decent people? I am sure many of us can take the duty carefuly. It will make some people jelly, unless the power is not revealed to all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by avikk View Post
    Not to mention how well behaved people were around the pMods?
    I'm sure it would curb the rampant trash talking in PvP rooms at the least
    yes people would act WEIRDLY good. They become all nice like teddy bears, unless you're a troll. A troll stays a troll...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KingFu View Post
    Because there isn't already pompous attitudes and superiority complexes in AL forums, right?
    Exactly sir!

*sips tea*
    Godfather of Arlor

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts

I'd go with the thread cool down. Spambot is slower tonight though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    541 Posts

Say players were to be trusted as "Mini-mods", what if they were given a new, anonymous, forum account, that has the power to move/delete the spam (and chat box ban because the Spambot is there too :/). This way, there is no haughty moderators lording over people on the forums and in game, if they do reveal their identity to the players/forumers, their rights to be a mini-mod are revoked and that's that.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Visiting For This Useful Post: