Thread: mage for killing....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Default mage for killing....

i have seen diff. Kinds of mage build on pvp like...

fire/light/shield/heal
    Fire/curse/shield/heal
    light/curse/shield/heal
    Etc.

so which skilks do u prefer

What lvl do u prefer for pvp 15?16?17?

Choose from the three

What are best equips for pvp mage that lvl
    What gems do i use (no para and eye)
    stat full int?
    i currently have nilbog/nightdshade/blinky

Is it ok if i dont get heal?

Can you give me tips on how to play in pvp with rogue 1on 1 and warrior 1 on 1 and GUILD WAR
    Do you think mage is less improved by developers? Coz a full equiped rogue with para eye set can kill a mage with full para eye set while mage hardly can. same with warrior and mage tsk
    Pls respond

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Hey Enzpoy.
    I believe you are a level 17 mage since the last time I saw you was when you were level 17. So I'll base the guide on level 17s.
    Now what build you isn't a huge factor that contributes to the outcome of you fights. Skill is (excluding gear and pet). Once you have mastered the class of mage, you will be a pro even without the best gear and the best pets.

First, I will explain the skills.

Fireball - Good AOE skill that does good DoT damage and stuns. Always charging the skill is recommended. This skill is a great start-off skill when you first meet an enemy in the battlefield. Always walk around with the fireball charged and when you see enemy shoot it. While the enemy is stunned, you can dish out even more damage with your other skills. Getting all upgrades except the last one is recommended as the last upgrade only applies to PVE.

Lightning - A skill that does the most damage out of all the skills. You can pretty much see it as the mage's Aimed shot. It does lots of damage even if it's not charged so you can spam it everytime it is off cooldown. For the upgrades, unless you have over 10% crit chance, don't get 250% damage instead of 200% damage when crit. Only get 10% more damage and stun which is the first and the last upgrade.

Ice - Another skill that does lots of damage. It does the same amount of damage as the lightning but with a longer cooldown. It also has good DoT damage. Only upgrade the DoT upgrade and the duration of it.

Curse - A big skill used in PVP. Very good in guild wars if you use it correctly. The penalties are you are likely to lose in 1 v 1. Upgrade all of it.

Shield - The lifesaver of mage. It is incredibly useful in both PVE and PVP. It is a must unless you are very tanky enough not to get it. Get all upgrades except the push-back which is the last one.

Heal - Another must. People have started using builds without heal but having heal is way, way better than not having it. Only get the second upgrade which also heals mana.

Gale - Some people use this in PVP and I do recommend it if you can use it correctly. If it is used correctly it can be very helpful. If you are to get it get all upgrades except the one that gives chance to knock down enemy for 5 seconds.

I've excluded clock since it's completely useless in PVP unless you want to run away and annoy people.

Tactics/strategies

I'll be focusing on curse since you have been curious about it recently. Your damage is not a huge factor that contributes to the skill so don't worry even if you don't have high damage. Try be as tanky as you can which means have as much health and armor as you can. Always charge curse when you use it. I'll explain how to use it in guild wars. Say you have a build with Shield, Fireball, Curse and Heal. When your team and the enemy team start closing the gap to clash, charge your fireball and stun them first. Now, what a lot of mages make a mistake is after they use the fireball, they use the curse straight away. That is a bad idea. All warriors on the other team have their heal available and a lot of them now a days use it very early on of the clash. So that's 2 seconds wasted of your 7 second curse time. As soon as the shield from their heal is gone, charge your curse up and use it. Make sure you curse ALL of the enemy team. A safe way to do that is save your shield until you use curse. Use your shield and while you have the 2 second invincibility, use your curse to the enemy team. After that you can hide behind the warriors on your team and start doing some AOE damage with your fireball.

Another mistake mages make with curse is trying to curse other mages who has shield on. Unless they didn't upgrade (I forgot which one but most mages have it upgraded) for their shield, your curse won't affect them at all. It will be wasted. Use your curse after their shield has gone down. Also in clashes, when the enemy team has a mage, ALWAYS pay attention to him only. Don't worry about the rogues. Make sure you see when he uses the shield. As soon as he uses his shield, use your curse on the other members of the enemy team even if it does not affect the mage himself. By the time his shield has gone down, your curse will be back up again and you can curse him too the second time you use it. Curse on other mages deal a ton of damage so make sure you get the mage with the curse.

Curse is not a must and quite a few curse-users have given up on the skill since Nilbog came out. However, it is still the best skill for PVP (especially in guild wars). It doesn't matter which skill you use with curse whether it's fireball, lightning or ice. Just choose your own liking and use it with curse. I personally like to use fireball but others do the job well too. Also make sure you always charge the other skill you have with curse. Pretty much you charge every single skill if you are using curse.

For the stats put it all into Int. With the remaining skills you have spend it on passive. If you follow the Shield, Fireball, Curse, Heal build like I have mentioned, you will have 1 point left. If you don't have over 2000 health, spend it on Might and if you already have over 2000 health, spend it on Knowledge for more damage.

With gear, currently Ice Scale sets are the best. For weapon use either Long Rifle of Brutality or Expedition Gun. Long Rifle does more hit damage although it displays in your stats as having lower damage. For ring and amulet, I suggest Brutality or you could use Assault. A good one is Frost Bitten Ring of Brutality and Tarlok's Heart of Brutality. Tarlok's are generally better than Eerie amulets since they give you bonus armor. Crit is less useful than armor.

Gems are a huge factor that changes the outcome of your battles and your stats. Try these gems out for your set. Reinforced gems have gone down quite a lot these days so having 2 or 3 of those will help a lot. If you plan to use curse, as I said you don't need huge damage so also try out Elondrian gems. I suggest having more than 3 of those and that will surely get you over 2000 health. Rest of the sockets you can fill it up with Tarlok gems or even more Elondrian gems. Try getting at least one para. I know they are expensive but you can afford one for around 1.5m on an item. That one para will fill up the damage you receive from Glacial gems which you would have filled instead of Elondrian gems. If you cannot afford a para gem, then best option for you is Tarlok gems. If you use over 3 Elondrian gems, your damage will fall quite a bit.

Btw, Breeze is also very good for mage. Try get one but don't buy it over gear and gems. Only buy if you have spare gold around.

So! Hope that clearly gave you an explanation on skills, builds, gear and gems for mage. Enjoy.

-Motorway from Tactical
    Last edited by ColaxRic; 06-16-2015 at 02:13 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Thanks bro that really help me out thanks a lot