Thread: What to do with my guild?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    478 Posts

As a long-time guild master, I have these points to make:

1. If you were inactive as a guild master and your guild went dead because of it, just start afresh. Having 300 members who no longer log on does not impress any new member who joins your guild. My suggestion would be to disband the guild (or if you cannot bear to let go, transfer leadership to an alt).

2. Before you build a guild, ensure you have at least a nucleus of trusted friends whom you can count on to help lead it in your stead, even when there are periods where you have to take a break from game. I suggest you take a break from leading your guild, join a relatively active endgame guild and build your toon up as well as build a network of fellow players. When you're sure you're ready to start up a guild again, and have the resources and manpower to help kickstart things, then by all means go for it.

3. It's nice to get your guild on LB, but it should never be a focus when you start off, otherwise you'll make decisions that could affect your guild negatively. Recruiting "good" players in an attempt to boost your guild rank quickly leads to guild dramas and likely wasted attempts to keep egoistical and greedy people happy, something which I doubt you want to waste time and effort on. I agree with some people here who advise you to start slow, recruit players of a lower level first. These players mostly need help to advance in game and you will need to invest a lot of time in helping them. That's the life of a new GM as you will probably know. Higher level players are more likely to want to go for more established guilds in hopes of finding better running parties, so it will be hard to recruit those players. Your aim as Master of a new guild should be to build a foundation of loyal, active and enthusiastic players who will help you build your guild and be able to enjoy the game together. The LB part comes when you have succeeded in this aim.

4. Last point before I end my post: please ask yourseld if you are in this for the long run. Being guild master requires a large sacrifice of time and possibly game enjoyment in order to build and preserve your guild. It could be months before your guild becomes stable enough for you to start coasting and allowing the guild to run itself instead of you doing everything to keep it active and keep members happy. If you cannot foresee yourself consistently investing time and gold/plat unconditionally into your guild, then you might end up with another guild full of inactive players, and another huge disappointment and regret. Consider your choice carefully.
    Why do we fall? So that we can rise again.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Safiras For This Useful Post: