As Saphiras says, I also think the ranking is fine the way it is currently balanced ..... and you are right, its going to take a very very very long amount of game time to reach the rank of Dark Acolyte or Luminous Templar! BUT this is good as its the stuff of the leaderboard players and the metal of legends.
Only the truly hardy and most dedicated players are going to achieve those top ranks .... and will thus achieve the top armours which need to be crafted and upgraded with thousands of coins ... coins only available for killing the boss and the quests?
This is truly the hard grind ....
2K points for apprentice
6K points for acolyte
16K points for advocate
30K points for disciple
56k points for Lightbearer (i think)
and heaven only knows what points are required for above those ranks
THEN you gotta collect thousands of coins for the new mythic armours and weapons ... which you will probably naturally achieve as you rise through the ranks with the coin per rank ratio .... this seems well balanced to me?
To achieve the best you gotta work the hardest.
We've had enough freebies of late ..... eggstravaganza and antignome to name a few of many ... now its time to show your colours if you choose to?
I mean ... with the stat boost on new gears, which can be purchased cheaply now, any maps prior to twilight will be a breeze, a walk in the park? So theres heaps of new playability there? Plus just take your time in the new maps and enjoy the varied content ... and gain rank over time without pressure to finish the new content in two weeks?
I grind maps and aps hard ...... im about 20k short on Lightbearer .... and im pretty thwarted at the mental challenge awaiting me of reaching Lightbearer let alone Dark Acolyte?!?!?!?! Its gonna be a long and winding path im sure ...

Welcome to the challenge people ... and its a mighty one, and i know i will not be the first to complete it ... but im not giving up or complaining, im just gonna relax into it, have fun with friends, learn the optimal pull points for each of the random maps, and head down to the stone.

OH ... and i truly hope there is something special in store for those that finally reach the ultimate position of dark Acolyte or Luminous Templar, because after all that hard work they are gonna friggin deserve it?!?!?"!

Plus i think there should be a unique vanity for the first 25 players to reach the top .... because this is probably one of the hardest challenges in game to date .... mentally i mean.
And whats unique about this is that EVERYONE can do it in time .... no tricky hidden puzzles ... no complicated Dimensional bridges ..... no gold expense, as drops and gold piles are along the way .... its available to all?

SO .... what does sts AL loading screen say while the game loads?
Sharpening Swords
Adjusting Buckles
Carving Bolts
Flexing Muscles
Drinking Ale
Brewing Potions
Filling Satchel
Collecting Spare Coins
SAYING MANTRA

you heard em ... get to it