Thread: I Was Mistaken About Global Cool Down

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lightbulb I Was Mistaken About Global Cool Down

(Please note: I'm not saying it's bad. It's very clearly a tremendously huge change, though. But that's all it is. I'm already adjusting to different expectations in the game.)

(Another pre-note: This is a separate thread, because I think these are different points and they lead to specific or general suggestions that don't involve removing GCD.)

These are the three mistakes I made:

1. I had assumed, with a little calculation, that it wouldn't make much difference in overall skill output
    2. At worst, I thought the game would be a little harder
    3. I had assumed Spacetime would re-balance the game to adjust for the changes

I was wrong on all points.

To the first point: For the enchantress, the math showed that over a given 30 second period, I should be able to trigger the same number of spells. As such, that meant the only real change was in the first 5-10 seconds.

What I failed to realize is that, with the exception of the one or two bosses and one or two mini bosses in each level, you're _always_ in that first 5-10 seconds of the calculation.

What does this mean? It means that where I could do AO3:CtK in about 4-4.5 minutes solo it now takes about 6-7 minutes in a group of four 50-somethings. I used to be able to fit a single ultra-fast session into a coffee break or some other quick location. That's impossible now, in most cases. This is unfortunate, as one of the best attributes of the game was the mobile oriented ultra-fast gaming sessions that could actually be productive.

The other impact is that it's really swung the damage calculations in favor of weapons instead of overall skill damage. Making sure your weapon is firing is now more critical than ever.

What's the solution to this? Alternate areas that are faster to clear with GCD for shorter, but still full, sessions. Besides, new alternate areas would be nice anyway for a change of scenery.

Another solution would be fewer mob groups that are larger than the AOE max target (5), more AOE effects, and longer lasting effects. Or just fewer, but stronger and more rewarding mobs. Fast mob clearing is a thing of the past, so might as well make it easier to settle in on bigger, longer fights where the GCD hasn't actually had many effects (with the exception that you can't rush-nuke bosses, even as a group, anymore).

Since all current areas were designed to balance without GCD, new areas will be balanced differently for time, difficulty, and so on.

On the second point:

I figured it would take more skill to properly time the button pushing. Turns out, it actually takes less skill. The timing actually comes out such that I end up using fewer skills and am just sitting there waiting for the GCD timer to clear on the next one so I can hit it as soon as possible.

And with the overall speed reduction of clearing areas, there's more time to sit around. This has actually made the game easier. Totally unexpected.

What's the solution to this? None needed, really.

And the extra use of health pots seems to be balanced by the lowered use of mana pots.

On the third point:

STS actually does not seem to have done any balancing. Since everything takes longer, shouldn't the elixirs and other effects now last longer? In CtK, for instance, most folks would use the XP elixirs because they'd last almost exactly an entire run (or an entire run if a part was fast with the keeper). Now they don't (alright, it's one day in, but it's a striking difference already).

Not only does this mean the XP per "hour" calculations are thrown off because the game is slower, it means the XP per "run" calculations are thrown off as well, because elixirs don't last an entire run. Alternately, if you re-elixir, the cost of the runs increases dramatically.

The balance of this is now way off. My back of the head calculations show that leveling rate has nearly halved. There are a couple of ways STS could balance this:

1. decrease xp to level so it takes a similar amount of time
    2. increase elixir time

Speaking of time outs, that's the other balance that's thrown way out of whack now:

Because skills are so much slower, the effects of buffs and debuffs don't apply to nearly as many attacks. This means the buffs and debuffs have, effectively, become substantially weaker in overall effectiveness. So much so that some of the really short effects (2-3 second ones) are not even worthwhile anymore.

The solution to this?

Simply: increase the length of the effects proportionally to the decreased rate of skills due to GCD.

Overall, though, I do not think GCD is as bad as most are making it out to be. It is different and is taking some time to adjust to. It also changes the type of game PL is. The speed change makes it almost feel like a turn-based game, though I know it wouldn't feel that way if this had been there the whole time.

And finally...

My one biggest complaint about GCD, though, is simply the UI: the constant animation of all of the skill buttons is nauseating. Ok, maybe not as virtually nauseating as the farts (please give a block option for that so we can individually turn it off). However, it's visually tiring and distracting, like a blinking tag on a web page. Please figure out a new visual indicator, or place the skills into a short queue that triggers every GCD interval instead of the fast animations.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

!!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Conradin View Post
    Gotta catch em all.
    check out this thread for a list of scams! http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...f-common-scams

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

All will come.

Ib4telock
    404 - not found ...maybe one day...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Perfect! Words to my thoughts...

Plasticuproject

Last edited by Plasticuproject; 02-08-2021 at 10:17 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I just had time for three CTK incomplete runs and one complete BS Catacombs full team run since the update. What can I say is: lilbyrdie, you got the point, on all three mistakes. Like you, I belove them all before, and I found myself wrong on all three.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the positive feedback.

Glad to hear others are experiencing the changes in a similar way. The roar seems to be from the few vocal ones. (Complaints are always louder than praise.)
    Lilbyrdie - Enchantress; Naabafrekie - Archer; Bearmiathan - Warrior

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You have brought up some very valid points lilbyrdie and if I may I would like to add to them with these thoughts:

We were given a normal cool down on spells and abilities before without an active GCD that impacted our gameplay. *I relate learning to use our skills and spells to playing a musical instrument well. *Muscle memory takes a huge part in playing an instrument well. *After you learn the notes, the timing, and where the keys are placed you can begin and continue to actually enjoy the music you are playing.

With this new GCD the mind doesn't have a chance to use it's muscle memory ability and becomes confused. *instead of enjoying the game your mind is constantly looking, wondering and finding out, oh darn I didn't play that note! Again confusion and frustration. *In the instance of being a Mage, I heal, debuff and cast combos to play an active role in my party. *What I am finding is my mind can not orchestrate my role well, contantly feeling confused and frustrated. There is no flow or continuity as the GCD stands today. *Watching the GCD is also distracting.

Most of the time I can see the reasoning for the changes the developers have put through. *The new GCD, as it stands today, does not allow a player to take their eyes off the right side of the screen where the skill buttons are. *Thereby there is a frustration for me to be able to keep my eyes centered in the middle of the screen, being able to actually enjoy the other players or the game itself. *I do not think that there is just a learning curve involved because my muscle memory skills are quite heightened allowing me to learn and retain very quickly. *

Recommended would be readjusting this new GCD by either assigning it to a set of appropriate skills or removing or adjusting the visual for them or removing it completely. *One thing I can image the developers do not want is the game player to feel constantly frustrated or confused thereby reducing gameplay enjoyment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree with everything said. I think the biggest thing that needs to be done is adjustment for the changes made. Spells either need to do more damage, regenerate faster, or something, because as of now my lvl 53 mage feels like a piece of crap when doing ctk or BS. I was in a party of all 53's and up and we couldn't even make it through a BS map without all dying at least once. It is frustrating and feels totally like the quickness of the game has been removed. I also used to sit down and do a quick run or two during a break, but I can no longer do that, making me able to play this game less as it is practically pointless to do a run if I can't beat the boss. Something needs to change or I won't have the time to play this game anymore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree with all that has been said and i also mentioned in a topic itself about the impact the GCD should have on different skills, as you could see in my topic the buffs, heals and revive have no effect in the lag of the fight since most of the time the graphics are not a big impact as the attack spells.. if the GCD could be limited to only attack skills the overall difficulty level of the game would increase but the gameplay and the surviving factor would stay the way it was.. with the new GCD i have to think in advance if i want to heal and not buf or attack... or kill and maybe die... or buff and get to a corner to wait for the efefct.. that is really annoying because healing should be a MUST always available... i mean with its own cool down time ..

i also really agree with the proposal to change the animations of the cool down.. since i dont like to complain and not help with the solution, i thought about this myself, how about if you just make the skills "gray transparent" when the cool down time is active and then back to normal without the screen effect that has now...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

+1 great suggestions I'm sure the devs aren't done tweaking yet. It already has gotten better, so they're definitely paying attention to us gamers

And for all doubters of my rockstar status:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    U rok, thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

great idea i totally agree with your ideas and hopefully there taking unto consideration

SupaProdigy level 32 operative SpaceReaper level 12 .Beastrocity lvl 63
    Supaprodigy level 56 bird Toquickforu level 60 Paladin! Top Shot Mafia. Empty-Space

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Agreed. I'm so frustrated with the game now that I'm looking elsewhere to spend my time and money. GCD really worked to get rid of the lag I might have caused - permanently.

Unfortunately, I believe there are scores of others like me that feel the same, but are less vocal. They won't be back either. STS just won't realize it as quickly.

Fix the leak before the ship sinks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    372 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lilbyrdie View Post
    And finally...

My one biggest complaint about GCD, though, is simply the UI: the constant animation of all of the skill buttons is nauseating. Ok, maybe not as virtually nauseating as the farts (please give a block option for that so we can individually turn it off). However, it's visually tiring and distracting, like a blinking tag on a web page. Please figure out a new visual indicator, or place the skills into a short queue that triggers every GCD interval instead of the fast animations.
    Completely agree... I hate it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ye please fix it :'( its Not fun at all anymore