Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dex Mage Owns PVP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XRAX View Post
    Of course it does. The only way it would work is if you are at a close enough distance. Other wise, if the opponent is a certain number of meters away, he or she would be repulsed and potentially out of range for root to connect once the global skill cool down is done ticking. Clearly, this applies to the stomp + stun slash effect as well. The "small" delay proves to be significant in many instances.
    In addition, my argument is not limited solely to defensive combos, but it was a good example to use.
    In terms of the point you made that GCD is being slowed down for everyone, this is true, but some classes benefit more than others. Just ONE example with the issue of balance is the following scenario. Ive never seen you in the arena, but you seem like a bird guy and ill assume you have a bird. So consider a 1v1 head on situation between a dex bird and a dex mage. What makes dex mages optimal is their high hit% and of course their ability to put up a shield (i.e. effectively a stall factor). A mage sporting a shield needs 3 skills minimum (unless you have a freakish crit) to kill (factoring in auto attack and external factors like dodge). A dex mage with a mana shield up will require a blast shot from the bird to bring down the shield and then at least 2 extra skills. A bird on the other hand requires ONLY two skills from a dex mage to die. By the time a bird brings down the shield and sends one arrow to connect, you are most likely dead unless you invest in dodge and pray probability is on your side, which is the only effective way there is so far given the limitations set by the current cool down timer.

Just to add:

Good point put forth by Parth. It adds to the latter point of my explanation of why it is easy for mages to kill their opponents.
    Good points. To be honest, I PvPed in every MMO and text MUD game I've ever played. It was actually part of the criteria when I evaluated games to play whether the PvP element was there or not. PL is the first MMO that I've played where I had no desire to PvP at all and this was because the lack of a GCD. I discovered this as a noob when i first ran into trouble with a bad draw and was surrounded by mobs. I spammed all my skills and they actually all fired which immediately made me think, WTH, I can do this in PVP?

So I found the forums and researched how PvP works in PL and saw complaints about multi-touching and spamming skills and so forth and I just never pursued it after that. When I hit the level cap at 50 and I became pre-occupied with farming end game gear, I never got bored with PL. Then Shadow Caves came out and kept me entertained. Then level cap raise and BS. Now, after hitting the level cap, obtaining all the end game gear and having way more gold that I can even hope to spend, I'm starting to get bored with farming and am looking towards PvP.

I was actually looking forward to the GCD release. Maybe I had the wrong impression of what PvP was prior to GCD. My impression was that everyone made their own special combo they believed was the secret technique to killing x class and then they would get in range of each other and BOOM, everyone would launch into their almost instantaneous (or in the case of multi-touchers, instantaneous) combos and after the smoke clears, there would be a winner. Not having ever witnessed a PL PvP duel, I didn't think this would be all that fulfilling for me.

But after work today, I'll be back home on my Wi-Fi and trying my first PL PvP games. I wonder who's going to be the first to break in this virgin PvPer. Also, I wonder who's going to be the first to get angry and call me a noob. LOL
    Last edited by Kindread; 04-16-2011 at 11:42 AM.
    Kindread - Lvl 56 Pink-Magnet ("Pink Taco!")
    Grendel - Level 25 Operative, Vicar - Noob Engineer, Emissary - Noob Commando

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ellyidol View Post
    Hey neo, mind if I ask for the figures of Drain Life and the single-target frost skill damages between both dex and int?
    I don't have the set of Raid. I just plugged it into my calc. I CAN give you the stats on the MM set for Drain and Frost though.

I'll do it now.

Also, if someone could lend me the set of Raid, i can get you those stats as well.

EDIT:
    MEGA MAGE WAND SET:
    Drain life: 300-444 (without buffs )331-475 (Buffed)
    Frostbite: 237-292 (without buffs) 368-323 (Buffed)
    Lightning: 257-388 (without buffs) 388-419 (Buffed)
    Firestorm: 270-383 (without buffs) 301-415 (Buffed)

MEGA MAGE STAFF SET:
    Drain life: 343-484 (without buffs) 374-515 (Buffed)
    Frostbite: 281-334 (without buffs) 312-365 (Buffed)
    Lightning: 301-429 (without buffs) 332-460 (Buffed)
    Firestorm: 313-424 (without buffs) 344-455 (Buffed)
    Last edited by noneo; 04-16-2011 at 12:11 PM.
    Lol (Star Legends) - Noneo (Pocket Legends)
    Star Legends - Engineer's Survival Guide!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by noneo View Post
    I don't have the set of Raid. I just plugged it into my calc. I CAN give you the stats on the MM set for Drain and Frost though.

I'll do it now.

Also, if someone could lend me the set of Raid, i can get you those stats as well.
    Ah it's np, assumed you got stats from using the set, forgot about calculating sorry for the bother!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Updated my post with MM values. Once I find a friend with Raid, I'll get you the numbers
    Lol (Star Legends) - Noneo (Pocket Legends)
    Star Legends - Engineer's Survival Guide!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Gah look at that. Let's say on a dex Mage that turns to 400 max buffed?

That 400 crit, two auto-bow attack crit, one single-target frost crit, and one fireblast crit. I dont think even my bear can get through that, fully buffed. Unless dodged of course.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

That 400 crit, two auto-bow attack crit, one single-target frost crit, and one fireblast crit. I dont think even my bear can get through that, fully buffed. Unless dodged of course.
    Might just run into a certain dex mage rocking Custom, Elly may be giving PvP a solid try finally.
    Moogerfooger - Dex Bird | Moogerfoogerz - Dual Bear |Brutalityz - loser mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Funny right lol I experienced several one auto drain k o .s

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

also keep in mind that I used the talen iset for the comparison. using a bow set will lead to a higher base damage, which leads to higher skill damage.

I will remake the comparison using a mega mage staff set and bow set
    Last edited by noneo; 04-16-2011 at 01:10 PM.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

My Bird crit 300-400 np blast shot. Life Drain is one sec wait. So with .25 skill cool you hit with 3-5 skills before take effect because one skill in begin(blast) and then the .25 skill wait=2-3time you hit mage. Bird kill mage easy with 1-3 skill and auto plus bird have dodge so esp if dodge it bye bye mage.

Bear hit mage beckon stomp and all mage mana gone so mage only auto. Very fair very easy just try best, also bear dodge always mage no dodge so bye bye mana on mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Seminole View Post
    Bird kill mage easy with 1-3 skill and auto plus bird have dodge so esp if dodge it bye bye mage.
    Pretty funny, because my dex mage just owned a bunch of birds and I am not that good at PvP as far as experience.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Moogerfooger View Post
    Pretty funny, because my dex mage just owned a bunch of birds and I am not that good at PvP as far as experience.
    Do you see what I mean Moog? It's ridiculous.
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

and thus the vicious cycle of FOTM classes in mmo continues...

wanna bet if there is "rebalance" it will affect pve as well?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rangepwnsmeel View Post
    Do you see what I mean Moog? It's ridiculous.
    Yeah....I mean I personally enjoyed it but with the Custom Recuve set on Brutalityz, I basically buffed approaching tgt, then Auto > Drain Life > whatever....if they didn't dodge the Drain, the crit Auto and Drain KO'd instantly pretty much.

Bears were a little tougher and a Bow Bear whupped me once one on one, and another managed to catch me as buffs ran out and beckoned/stomped me halfway across the map, but you know when I am the kill leader in two matches and go 17 kills, 5 deaths as a dex mage PvP noob, something is definitely different. I mean, I have some mage and archer skills, but a rookie at PvP.
    Last edited by Moogerfooger; 04-16-2011 at 01:49 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Yeah....I mean I personally enjoyed it but with the Custom Recuve set on Brutalityz, I basically buffed approaching tgt, then Auto > Drain Life > whatever....if they didn't dodge the Drain, the crit Auto and Drain KO'd instantly pretty much.

Bears were a little tougher and a Bow Bear whupped me once one on one, and another managed to catch me as buffs ran out and beckoned/stomped me halfway across the map, but you know when I am the kill leader in two matches and go 17 kills, 5 deaths as a dex mage PvP noob, something is definitely different. I mean, I have some mage and archer skills, but a rookie at PvP.
    Nah Moog, It's just that you are a Pimp.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

Okay face in-game and I show you how. I be on tonight and I message you. I will show you it fair fight. Honest I will have advantage. Many bird mad now because no kill mages easy nomore. It really fair now and I show you when I fight you just take skill

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

Okay face in-game and I show you how. I be on tonight and I message you. I will show you it fair fight. Honest I will have advantage. Many bird mad now because no kill mages easy nomore. It really fair now and I show you when I fight you just take skill
    I don't PvP very much so beating me isn't going to prove anything....I have no doubt you have more PvP skill than me. But if you get unlucky and don't dodge the Drain from a buffed dex mage, it's over from what I can tell.

I was just trying to point out that a rookie PvPer can do too much killing as a dex mage with good dex gear.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

I don't PvP very much so beating me isn't going to prove anything....I have no doubt you have more PvP skill than me. But if you get unlucky and don't dodge the Drain from a buffed dex mage, it's over from what I can tell.

I was just trying to point out that a rookie PvPer can do too much killing as a dex mage with good dex gear.
    Just so know with GCD everbody same. Nomore noob nomore best player. So no matter how long play all i try to say is everything base on luck now. It very fair but very not fun to me

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Just so know with GCD everbody same. Nomore noob nomore best player. So no matter how long play all i try to say is everything base on luck now. It very fair but very not fun to me
    Not true. You must have missed my point entirely. Elf's have the strongest spells of all characters. The downside to this however is that their spells had a delayed cast time (PRE GCD), now with GCD the cast time is hidden because by the time their cooldown is activated again, the spell has hit. Thus putting them on the same speed with much more powerful spells.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rangepwnsmeel View Post
    Not true. You must have missed my point entirely. Elf's have the strongest spells of all characters. The downside to this however is that their spells had a delayed cast time (PRE GCD), now with GCD the cast time is hidden because by the time their cooldown is activated again, the spell has hit. Thus putting them on the same speed with much more powerful spells.
    Okay but look like i say earlier, Drain 1 sec wait, frost 1 sec wait, light 1 sec wait. So you still use 3-4 skill plus auto GCD only .25 sec wait. You kill very easy with 1-3skill plus auto and dodge. Mage no have no dodge it guarntee hit almost always. Also if you dodge you win no matter what happen. If have trouble still then drainer, then when get good use custom like me. You win often but u lose too that what suppose happen.

Before mage sooo easy to kill. Now mage harder but it very fair i do it you do it too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

@ Moogerfooger. Your posts are very honest and you have made some critical points.

@ seminole Your arguments are very theoretical based and you seem to be missing the point. Im on break from work so can only bring up one point. PvP is about competition. There will be "noobs" and there will be "best players." What is the driving force behind competition? Clearly for one, it is to be the best. Pvp should demand practice, and experience should be indicative of skills and performance in the arena. Some learn quicker than others, but the bottom line is that a learning curve should always be present. Before GCD, a players experience and skills separated a pro from an amateur. Post-GCD PvP is 95% luck and 5% "skill."