I think we're coming from two different perspectives about balance.

First of all, I want to ask what balance is to you. From your post, I can gather that you want to reach a stage of 'universal equilibrium', without really knowing what this stage is. There's no set definition for complete balance. It's different for different players. We don't know the problem with PvP. We can say that so and so class at some level is lacking armor, but what would be the consequence of increasing that class' armor? New problems would keep arising. With so many variables at play, there's no knowing how one would affect the other. This process would be never-ending.

I view balance as the opportunity for any class to be able to beat any other class. And because of this, I tend to suggest ways to make PvP more player - dependent and less dependent on game mechanics. Theoretically, you could change the game mechanics so that nobody has any complaint whatsoever, but it is impractical. There's no way we can ever 'balance' PvP because people have the misconception that their class should be able to beat every other class when the fact is that each class has its own advantage and disadvantage in FFA, and is not suitable for a 1 v 1.

In short, I'd rather widen the range of possibilities for a player.