Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GoA role: Idea beta tester?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

testing (debugging) game is not that FUN as you think, you will get bored very quick unless you really like doing that and of course you get paid, I used to do that for a online game company years ago

especially doing that at least you have some relevant skills, not to mention that some of GOA are just like 16 years old kids. If you were developer, would you let your game to be tested by that group of people!!

that's why they are hiring people who meet (have) the specific requirements!!

JUST PLAY THE GAME AND ENJOY IT WHETHER YOU ARE GOA OR NOT AND LOOK MY SIG TO SEE WHAT RANGE SAID.
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg
    Kids, please.
    Quote Originally Posted by rangepwnsmeel
    I look at people as equals until they give me a reason to frown upon them. Not implying that me, other PL shield winners, or any GOA think themselves to be better then other people.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    260 Posts

j46g629h, like I said, this idea is in the discussion phase already with the devs.

I don't know what range's quote has to do with this. You are conflating two connotations of the word "equal", anyways. Nobody is saying that being better at giving feedback means that others are not equals. These two ideas are very far apart. One of the requirements to being GoA is to give constructive feedback. That means simply, to the devs minds, they already know they won't have to deal with ragequit tantrums and such.

I'm almost certain this idea will get executed, anyways.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

I don't have much of an opinion on this. I think it can work fine as long as the GoAs aren't afraid to speak up if they diagree with a move the devs are making. Also, as long as they're able to differentiate between what's good for them and what's good for the community as a whole.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

j46g629h: But it is constructive to see if the GoA can do anything more & discuss that: Could be just a sounding-board or more? I don't see any harm in that. Good for you for testing, you should explain it and help ppl understand the requirements of what makes a good tester?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm fine with people who usually provide constructive feedback and help other people either on the forum or in game and I'm pleased to have them too
    that's why they have been given the title as GOA or shield whatever. It is just a reward for what you have done, that's it.

what I wanted to say is all the forum members (including GOA) can discuss any ideas, updates, issues, feedbacks rather than limit to a small group of people
    anyway, I just realised that I read the title wrong, I thought it was beta tester which giving a separate server for them to test lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg
    Kids, please.
    Quote Originally Posted by rangepwnsmeel
    I look at people as equals until they give me a reason to frown upon them. Not implying that me, other PL shield winners, or any GOA think themselves to be better then other people.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Granted I'm new, it would be nice to put even more use to our titles

Even just on paper/forums, i think the collective experience of the GoAs would be able to speak for the community pretty much. I also know that most of us aren't afraid to speak up, just in a less violent manner not that anyone here is violent... If so, that's what PvP is for!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RedRyder View Post
    Or just let me design an item or two or three.. Or four. Maybe 5
    Can one of those be a potato? Potato helm perhaps? :P

Quote Originally Posted by Arterra View Post
    the lottery system looks like a gamble... punny funny!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

^Something like the shields I think could have been a good idea to talk to GoA. However more general game development etc, I'm not so sure... To have as wide a sample as possible is best albeit the GoA are a special sample, hehe! Although having your own beta server as j46g629h thought, lol I won't stand for that:

"All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others"
    Tsk!

Guardian of Alterra FluffNStuff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

Really on the fence about this, because it might give GoA's an unfair advantage if there was testing. It is similar to the moderator suggestions before. The only way a moderator can be impartial is if they don't play the game, and since no player would want to quit the game to be moderator, the only solution is the one they have, which is employee moderators. Would you want to be a tester if it meant giving up your account?

The Hundred Acre Legends:
    HunnySniper - HunnyStorm
    Please Fill out the End Game Pet Survey!|||||| What's With that Shield Icon?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I'm all for this idea. GoA are players that represent our community and are very trustworthy. I would love them to be our "speaker of the house" for us.

This could solve alot of people crying about changes an allow the game to run smoothly.
    (Yes I killed a dev)
    Don't screw with the pew! (not literally) lol
    Active Toons: MoarPewPew,Enrages,PewPewJr
    I award Pew Points.(Keep Track!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FluffNStuff View Post
    Really on the fence about this, because it might give GoA's an unfair advantage if there was testing. It is similar to the moderator suggestions before. The only way a moderator can be impartial is if they don't play the game, and since no player would want to quit the game to be moderator, the only solution is the one they have, which is employee moderators. Would you want to be a tester if it meant giving up your account?
    Yeah, that's my only fear. We already saw a stink about the Comm/PL shields not being the absolute best for twinking (compared to the original Gratitude shield). So I fear the temptation sometimes may be too strong to give advice that benefits them personally, rather than benefitting the entire community. I'm not saying that any of the current GoAs would do that, but there is that temptation and very real possibility.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

As I understood the OP it's mostly about having a sub-forum for devs to check a few things with GoA first... I think the beta thing was further down the road idea... wasn't it?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

good idea would be cool
    In game name: DarkElfX
    Class: Pure Int Mage
    Level: 26
    Guild: Brotherhood