Thread: How to spec your mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Default How to spec your mage

As a mage noob I talked to a lot of mages in game about their build and opinions. And I heard a lot of opinions.

Now that my farming mage reached the destination level 52 I wanted to check stats and spells of the most common specs I heard about.
    As gear I used the Cyber sets because I’m stingy and also because I think similar sets are a good way to compare builds. I tried an one hand and a two hand set for each build.

I know it would be better with a level 55+ and Mega/Fury/Raid, of course feel free to add!

I made the following builds (To check out the gear, read the AO3 drops thread):

Pure Int
    All stat points into Int. 1H set obviously is laser wand and doll, 2H is staff.

Hybrid Dexchantress
    161 stat points into Dex, rest Int. 161 is the requirement to wear level 51 gear. 1H set is talon and wing, 2H is gun.

Hybrid Pally
    161 Str, rest Int. 1H sword and kite shield, 2H ugly green plasma sword

Dual Dexchantress
    132 Int and 132 Dex. 1H is wand and doll, 2H is gun. That seems to be a common mob clearing and boss setup.

Dual Pally
    132 Int and 131 Str. 1H is sword and kite, 2H is staff. This is my most used build btw. :-)

Dual Dex Pally
    129 Dex and 129 Str. 1H is sword and kite, 2H is gun. Very unconventional, the intelligence free mage...

And now the ugly table with stats and spells. Click for bigger picture. I checked level 6 heal, firestorm (as an aoe spell) and frostbite (as a single target spell).

I think, at this level, with this gear, you should at least keep half of the stat points for Int. Losing more Int sacrifices too much spell damage for not much gain in your stats. Especially the last build felt very weak when I did test runs.

Some thoughts
    - Dual Pally seems to be the mediocrity build. Nothing really good, nothing really bad
    - The Dual Dexchantress’ single target spell has more damage than the Full Int’s, who knew!
    - Dual Dexchantress comes pretty close to Full Int at the aoe damage spell
    - If you see your mage role in healing, you have to go for the max Int, big difference there
    - I see no reason for a Dex Pally, maybe pvp?

As soon as gathered enough nice level 51 drops, I will start experimenting with them. I’m sure some cons can be eliminated with a good gear combination.

My conclusion
    The first choice should always be to go full Int. The aoe damage and heal is just superior. And only if you want more single target damage than mage gear can give you, make a Dual Dexchantress. And only if you play so tanky that you die with the highest armor and dodge int gear, go Dual Pally.
    But don’t forget, losing 20 dmg on a spell may sound ok, but think about casting that spell in a 10 mob group. Then you lose 200 dmg...

But mind: I really am a mage noob. So experienced mages: Please comment and add!
    Last edited by Mr.Wallace; 06-06-2011 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Typo thx for finding!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Really nice work you did here, I find the best Mage is 67 Dex (for Dex ring and hit%) and the rest INT, and you made a typo with the Dual Dex/Str Pally, it should be 129 Str not 29

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Yesterday, bear. Today, mage. Tomorrow, the bird!!! Excellent comparison. One comment i have is that at 55 gears tend to be more extreme. Example: right now pure int and int/dex Doesn't have much difference on regen and crit. But come 55, enchanted has more armor and m/s, while customize gets more crit and damage.
    Laazahater L56 Elf Awesomness : Traigomuerte L56 Pally
    Hanibaz L50 Int/Dex Bear : kraazeva L50 Dex bird
    Badbadtzmaru L27 Dex/Int Elf

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sigkill View Post
    Really nice work you did here, I find the best Mage is 67 Dex (for Dex ring and hit%) and the rest INT, and you made a typo with the Dual Dex/Str Pally, it should be 129 Str not 29
    This is one of the builds i was choosing from before. There's a couple different ways to implement this as far as i can tell:

1. 53 dex plus use cop dex
    2. 67 base dex so you can use full mega mage or enchanted set.

I think 2 is better, just because with this, you're not limited to only one headgear. Plus, 14 more base int isn't going to give that muh more benefit.
    Laazahater L56 Elf Awesomness : Traigomuerte L56 Pally
    Hanibaz L50 Int/Dex Bear : kraazeva L50 Dex bird
    Badbadtzmaru L27 Dex/Int Elf

Guardian of Alterra CrimsonTider's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

Once again you have outdone yourself. Excellent work, my friend. Now I know where you have been hiding!!
    CrimsonTider::Astuteness::Crim::CrimzonTider::IBec kon::Houndstooth
    WreckzNEffect::Intuitive::Kinesiology::Crimagical: :Killtastrophe::SsgtSlaughter::Transfixion
    Arrownaut::Crimtacular::Funkdified::CrimJr

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Very nice job, Mr. Wallace! Keep up the good work!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thanx for the info. i have been building a dex/int hybrid. at level 26 i have most in int. 1/32/92. im always taking aggro off the tanks and cant keep up with healing when all the mobs get on me. i die a lot.
    PewPew