Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Buffs in SL.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Yup some g8 posts ^^^ Like the ideas about flexibility

Edit: We may have some q's answered when we see e3 footage/screenies...
    Last edited by ratava; 06-06-2011 at 03:07 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

We need some hard numbers before making an assessment.

The problem here is that the buffs need to potent enough to be worth getting, yet at the same time, we shouldn't be dependent on them. This will be very important for PvP.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsThis View Post
    We need some hard numbers before making an assessment.

The problem here is that the buffs need to potent enough to be worth getting, yet at the same time, we shouldn't be dependent on them. This will be very important for PvP.
    Now that I think about it, finding the perfect balance is going to be really hard.

If they aren't that good, the way the PL skill allocation is built, we can completely avoid it.

If they are that good, then well, same problem as now.

One way I see in order to deal with it is,

Nerf buffs, but make them a pre-requisite for a skill needed/wanted.

In PL terms, maybe something like :

Rage for Stomp/SMS.
    Focus for Blast Shot.
    BoM for Drain Life.

All assuming that they've been nerfed though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

But with this, everyone would want a mage/healer. :O
    [FONT=garamond]I like Bears. Be jealous.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheLaw View Post
    That's actually an interesting point. Without buffs, being a mage is an advantage. You can heal much more so than bears and birds. It's also going to be harder to kill in one volley, which makes heal more valuable.

Perhaps the devs had their reasons for making buffs so potent?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheLaw View Post
    I think it'd depend on how specialized we can go.

If there's a total separate class for a healer, with all the best buffs, a group would definitely want a healer. But for solo play, it'd depend on how it's built IMO.

If they squeeze in an offensive mage + a supportive healer (still with the best buffs) in one, then definitely everyone will be wanting to make one.

That's actually an interesting point. Without buffs, being a mage is an advantage. You can heal much more so than bears and birds. It's also going to be harder to kill in one volley, which makes heal more valuable.

Perhaps the devs had their reasons for making buffs so potent?

Probably..

Now that it's a new game though, and how devs were admitting that it was a mistake to balance PvE first before PvP, one way to balance PvP, IMO, is to put less emphasis on the buffs and more on team play.

ATM, Buffs > Heal. Take this situation :

Group A vs Group B (3v3) fight. One mage, one bear, one bird.

Both buff up, both engage, group A wins.

Group B respawns and regroups.

Group A's mage heals everyone in Group A back to full HP.

Group B charges for Group A, B has newly popped buffs, A just expired.

More often than not, Group B will win, even if Group A is supposedly a "better" team.
    Last edited by Ellyidol; 06-07-2011 at 01:25 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

I suppose that's why "running" is frowned upon. I will admit that if I can help it, avoid engaging buffed enemies unbuffed. Suicide really.

Still, now that things are being built from ground up - what should it be like?

- More combos between different classes? Need to be potent enough to be worth it (ex: nature strike), and able to cast frequently (mega combos aren't), but at the same time, can't be OP (nature strike is potent but very rarely seen in PvP).
    - Certain synergies (an example would be say, I was in PL and I had a bear, a bird, and a mage; I get some sort of bonus, like +5% hp)?

Remember, we still have a limited number of character slots per team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ellyidol View Post
    I think it'd depend on how specialized we can go.

If there's a total separate class for a healer, with all the best buffs, a group would definitely want a healer. But for solo play, it'd depend on how it's built IMO.

If they squeeze in an offensive mage + a supportive healer (still with the best buffs) in one, then definitely everyone will be wanting to make one.
    I don't think so. But this would overpower the mage class. And PvP would be reckless.
    [FONT=garamond]I like Bears. Be jealous.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

I suppose that's why "running" is frowned upon. I will admit that if I can help it, avoid engaging buffed enemies unbuffed. Suicide really.

Still, now that things are being built from ground up - what should it be like?

- More combos between different classes? Need to be potent enough to be worth it (ex: nature strike), and able to cast frequently (mega combos aren't), but at the same time, can't be OP (nature strike is potent but very rarely seen in PvP).
    - Certain synergies (an example would be say, I was in PL and I had a bear, a bird, and a mage; I get some sort of bonus, like +5% hp)?

Remember, we still have a limited number of character slots per team.
    To be honest, I have no idea how it should proceed. Lol

That's just how I see it. Buffs are completely defining a character and PvP/PvE, which, IMO, shouldn't be.

I'm not sure what STS has in store for us in SL.

Maybe remove buffs entirely and switch the capabilities to gear? Or nerf buffs then switch emphasis to gear? No idea. Lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

If the ideas that have been suggested about Mages are applied it would make the class the most favorite for PvP, just like the bear is is PL.

Hopefully PvP would be player skill based in the future but for that to happen we have to play and give our feedback.
    Zbooo- Lvl 1x Warrior

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't see an issue in PvP as far as self buffs. My problem with PvP across several games has been the one shot. Seems as soon as you come into range you get insta-killed. Ive never been much of a PvPer due to this. Even in WoW I ran with a decent 5v5 team and had excellent resilience gear (resilience was their solution to the dreaded one shot. The more resilience you had the less chance you had of being the victim of a critical hit). And it was still tough being a healer...I always had a big target on my back from the start.
    Maybe since STS has planned to balance PvP first and PvE second this wont be such an issue.
    I do see the reliance on buffs being a problem. If say the engineer buffs are game breakers and you pop into a PvP arena and the only engineer is on the other team it kinda stacks the deck.
    This is sort of a unique problem to this mobile MMO thing. The pick up game nature of PL and probably SL is to blame and both would probably benefit from some sort of system that drops players into a queue and forms the groups based on some sort of predetermined group mix. Of course it should be a choice to enter the queue or go straight to the arena.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

The solution could be simple: mimic one of the most classic pvp (battlemode) of all times... Mario Kart. It was super addictive and every battle was teeth grinding and always close. Why? becausee players started out each battle on completely even ground. You pick up your weapons as you went along. This added some parts luck, but a huge part of skill and strategy as well. Players with lesser weapons could come out winning, just by using their skills and the terrain to their advantage. It was a completely different style of game I know, but I'm just saying if the same kind of principles were applied to SL, it would be epic!!! My 2 pennies

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

People, I want you to realize that this is more towards the SL and not PL itself, in order to fix the PL PvP they have to re-strip all the classes and re-balance them.
    Zbooo- Lvl 1x Warrior

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

PL is all we have to build off of...STS hasn't been very forthcoming with details...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Irconfuzed View Post
    PL is all we have to build off of...STS hasn't been very forthcoming with details...
    We can't really expect that STS will follow the same PvP mindset that PL has since SL is made by a different team anyway, we all know that PL PvP is really faulty.
    Zbooo- Lvl 1x Warrior

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

I just realized something for PL.

As the level caps go up, we can expect to be more and more dependant on our buffs. Why? If current trends hold, we will soon have up to 7 points to spend per skill and you can bet that it will be essential to max out our buffs. This means that the difference in being buffed and unbuffed will keep growing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm most good at the warrior character and its skills/buffs. But not to shabby with the bird and have no idea about the mage. It PL ofcourse the build makes wether your character is good or not. The most important skills to have ones that increase your damage (dps), accuracy, dodge, armor, the higher percentage of your ability to stun or stop your enemy and to debuff your enemies damage, dodge, and armor as much as possible. And ofcourse having skills and weapons that give high damage with high dps and thats not to slow. ALso ofcourse good armor.

Generally buffs are important, but debuffs are most important. As a warrior i look to debuff the enemy as much as i can while i buff myself to my best taking them out as quickly as i can with taking as little damage as possible.

There will most definetly be different skills on each character in SL but buffs and debuffs will still be a great factor in not only PvP but PvE