Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My latest Pet Peeve

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I get beggars everyday. Ive started cleaning up my friend list and blocking the beggars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts

OMG, IKR?

I tell them to drop their own stuff for free, to go kill stuff, that I don't friend/give gold/lvl beggars, and/or just, "NO." If they persist, yep, ignore button comes in.

As far as I know, they don't give up. They go right to another town/instance and keep begging. I've moved around sometimes and seen the same people still begging.

It's incredibly interesting to me that I tell them to go play the game they're logged into and that they can play the game with absolutely no gold, just some game play (I mean they're logged into a game, right?), and they still just sit about a beg.

Maybe they're really afk???

And I've done the leave-game thing instead of screenshotting. LOL.
    And it's not that I don't want to give away stuff. I just don't want to give away stuff to the unworthy. They should at least come up with some entertainment...
    Last edited by Fyrce; 07-02-2011 at 06:11 PM.

Star light, star bright...

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Register View Post
    lmao nice unlike you?!?!?!
    wth lol does he/she know who you are??!?!?!?!?!?!?
    Nope , nor will they. The person doesn't own a forum account. He doesn't know that he/she/it is posted up in the general discussion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

he/she/it?!?!? lmao i give beggars a hint on how to make HUGE amounts of gold. I tell them that zombies give them FREE GOLD and all you have to do is kill them!
    ShadowPlat OneMoreDay RegiLess & RegFree
    My Guess: 177

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Begging has become a serious nuisance in PL, which shouldn't be a surprise. Other MMOs end up like this too.

If everyone ignores the begging, there should be no incentives to beg. Tell the players where they can best make money and that's it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

I have this reply I keep in the little save thingy: if they ask for gold, just say , go to a treasure chest and ask it for money xD... Those beggars shut up after that...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok, anyone else being reminded of the homeless episode of South Park???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Like many others I offer them advice which usually starts with,"go sell your ice ears" followed by ,"mobs drop pots if you have less than 25" and "do your quests, you get gold and equips for FREE"

And when all else fails I hit up my beggar macro:

"Beggars are like bums. You give them some gold and the next thing you know they've got a brew in one hand, a body part in the other, and a hootch on their head."

If I ignore them, it's only for a day before I clean my ignore list. And maybe I do condone begging in some ways. Many times I find a player who's got a lot of quests, a lot of kills, very few deaths, and they are really trying to sell (imo) junk - and I'll check them and give them some better equip they can use.

*shrug* hypocrite

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Valiksuhr View Post
    Ok, anyone else being reminded of the homeless episode of South Park???
    *Randy* "I.. I.. just need a little change to take the bus. Please, I just gave all mine away to a homeless person, please? Change... Channngge... Free changee...?"

Anyways, begging actually generates decent cash for low levels.

Back in my runescape days, I had over 102m (back then, that was a lot). But yet I would still trick beg. It was usually 500k a hour, with little effort and focus needed. So yes, to eliminate the problem, we all need to stop giving gold to beggars. But that will never happen. So the next best solution is to ignore beggars, or make a "Run to find a cure" event to sponsor finding a cure for beggars "zombie" like begging.
    Last edited by Pharcyde; 07-02-2011 at 11:51 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Seriously, just put them on ignore, no questions asked. Do you really want anything to do with someone like that?

The idea of begging in a game just makes my head want to explode. It makes no sense and anyone who does it is not worth my time, IMO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I treat all beggars the same. I give them nothing.

Pocket Legends Characters Timbabird -55 Oldsillymage -55
    Timbabird lvl 55 Oldsillymage lvl 50+

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Its like that old saying... give em an inch and they'll take a mile or feed a stray dog once and they'll follow you home. My pet peeve is when they beggers pm you as soon as you get to the cs and they don't stop no matter how many times you tell them no or go away or go farm for your own gold... I mean come on... its not like there isn't guides to gold farming for pl all over the web... seems like they're professional beggers... >.<

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Kind of reminds me of my MUD days. Wasn't uncommon for someone to make a sexy looking female alt to get the solution to a quest or two (note : quests in MUDs were not like in PL but more like "find 4 keys, insert in weird order into 4 statues, move two statues, flip painting, do 'I'm a little teapot song and dance', and pull book off shelf" type quests). A wink, a giggle and a coy smile would get an alt far. IMO, begging here is like that in the sense that you don't get to really know the game ("Who's Swift?") or show the effort to really wanting to. Mind you - getting stuff via gifts is ok if someone wants to give you something out of kindness (like my shivering ice gear I got for free) and you weren't begging for it but standing around wearing plat items begging for gold isn't right IMO. Shoot, I'm poor but mostly b/c if I'm running in a group and get an item some lower level can use, I'll gift it before they can open the trade window, but you don't see my bird at Balefort with a sign saying "Will squak for gold/pinkz/smoochies"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

I'm too SRINGY to give gold to beggars...

in game name: GIMBOID lvl 66 Archer Yeah, I'm SRINGY, Get over it!
    Totally indifferent member of FAIL
    INHALE RAGE EXHALE VENGEANCE...THERE IS NO FNORD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts

Had one today that I have to give credit for chutzpah (tho credit is all I gave him/her). Hit FH for pots on my big bird and get a friend's request, followed a nanosecond later by "Can I have 10k plz?". When I gave my usual where-to-find-gold spiel, I got "but I'm your friend!" Lol. "Not yet, you're not. Bye!"
    Rauen Haikus' dex 60 sammich-maker; Grievousangel Haikus' 58 Mage/Butler, Jeffrey; Diffie Wounded's 55 drink-mixer; Ghazaal Noobmigo's 47 cheerleader. SL: Rauen, 36 Op & Bod's turkey baster; Yosinabe 36 Engi; Chedaka 36 Comm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CanonicalKoi View Post
    Had one today that I have to give credit for chutzpah (tho credit is all I gave him/her). Hit FH for pots on my big bird and get a friend's request, followed a nanosecond later by "Can I have 10k plz?". When I gave my usual where-to-find-gold spiel, I got "but I'm your friend!" Lol. "Not yet, you're not. Bye!"
    lol he has yet 2 know about the accept button...
    Mains: Dahood lvl55 Archer/Lvl11 Operative/Prest lvl36 Tank

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

AN EASY AND FOOLPROOF WAY TO STOP MOST BEGGARS IMMEDIATELY:

Use one of your quick-chat slots and put "/r Sorry, I'm saving up. " It's vague yet specific enough to work, and it's helped me a ton. You don't have to type anything, just tap a button, and people respond better to not bing ignored.
    Last edited by Nightarcher; 07-03-2011 at 03:32 PM.
    Gandalf—Level 21 Arcane Legends Sorcerer
    Redeemed—Level 12 Sorcerer twink

Nighttrooper - Level 40 Commando [retired]
    Nightarcher - Level 60 Avian Archer [retired]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts

I got pretty annoyed at this one persistent guy asking for free money in balefort today, couldnt read anything in the chat box cept him.
    so i did what anybody would have done. farted in his face. that shut him up pretty good. you guys should try it.

the way to change the world is by doing one act of kindness at a time, care to buy some cookies?

PL: Zaltiar Lvl66| SL: Hellcharger/Alibi Lvl 41Com|Zaltiar Lvl38 Op| Warbringer 38

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

This morning a guy asked me for 1k (level 32 I believe) and I told him he could easily make that by playing. He then told me that he had over 150k. I mean, come on... what's 1k going to do?! So frustrating.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Weak_Sauce View Post
    This morning a guy asked me for 1k (level 32 I believe) and I told him he could easily make that by playing. He then told me that he had over 150k. I mean, come on... what's 1k going to do?! So frustrating.
    fart in their face bro :|

the way to change the world is by doing one act of kindness at a time, care to buy some cookies?

PL: Zaltiar Lvl66| SL: Hellcharger/Alibi Lvl 41Com|Zaltiar Lvl38 Op| Warbringer 38