Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who exactly "frowns upon" power leveling?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm sure there were a plethora of emails to support, asking the devs to change certain maps in order to reduce power levelers, as well
    56 Mage | 55 Archer | 55 Warrior | 43 Dex/Str Archer | 34 Dex Bear

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Like Arterra said, they believe in playing the content as it comes. They are certainly fine with players powerleveling at the proper levels (x4 dumpster pot).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i persinally dont care if someone is power leveles or not. But when i see that someone is paying that than i "frown".

i dont like to be power leveled or have a high level in the group...unless they my friend but high levels steal ur kills ;D.

but What i get annoyed with when i may need a little help once in a while from wether its a good party or a party with high level/s they say leave or pay. I leave ofcourse

LOL im not payin sheeeett ;D

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by joopiduh:340901

An offensive mage is still a mage, and if they do not utilise the skill they have, e.g. heal and revive, then they are not capitalising on their strengths. Which could mean that they don't know how to play their toons properly in a group.

When you talk about power-levelling, you are correct in saying not everyone powerlevels all the way, but I do know of a few.

But the term "powerlevelling" does not include short bursts of one or two levels. That term means "to bring one to the highest level possible in the fastest time by any means possible".
    Yeah, maybe the reason a mage is not healing, is because they don't know how. But, that is only one of many reasons. Can't assume it's cause they've been power leveled. In fact that's the least likely of several possible reasons. Why would anyone just jump to that conclusion. In fact these casters I was talking about choose not to heal. They don't think it is their job. And they really think they are doing their group a favor by standing there doing nothing most of the time. They think they're uber but really just bumming a ride so to speak. My point, if someone is having a hard time you just can't assume it's because they have been power leveled. That is most likely NOT the reason. I've never seen a mage say, after someone has died, oops sorry I didn't heal ya, I was power leveled so I don't know what I'm doing.

And the definition of power leveling you gave is not accurate, it has been narrowed to try to support a position. Power leveling, obviously, can last for 5 minutes, 5 hours, 2 levels, 20 or more levels, how ever many times you want to be power leveled. What you're saying is a person is not jogging unless they jog the whole lap 50 times. That if they only jog it once or jog only 10 minutes then they are not really jogging. Power leveling is just using some means to level faster than you otherwise would. The amount of time used is not part of the definition. In this game elixirs are a form of power leveling, any of the elixirs.

It's not too likely that more than a FEW people are raising enough gold off of pinks to pay somebody to power level them 50 levels (unless close friend). Most pinks and purps are worth very lttle.

From what I read on the forum, it takes 63,000 kills to get to level 50. Maybe bit less if you in full parties a lot. It does not, does not, does not take 63,000 kills to learn how to heal, not scatter or dodge. If someone don't got this down by level 50 then there is something else going on.

I agree, if you're being power leveled more than a couple of levels, don't be a tard, take the time to learn your class (unless you already know it). But, if a high level is playing badly, then there is one or more other reasons. Power leveling is the least likely reason.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    315 Posts

What would happen if I told you guys that I power levelled from 1-50?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts

absolutely hate it. slows down the whole team on runs. I try telling them the correct way, but they tend to go back to scattering the mobs around. probably because there's so much things going on, they panic :\

the way to change the world is by doing one act of kindness at a time, care to buy some cookies?

PL: Zaltiar Lvl66| SL: Hellcharger/Alibi Lvl 41Com|Zaltiar Lvl38 Op| Warbringer 38

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlzap View Post
    What would happen if I told you guys that I power levelled from 1-50?
    But you grinded 50-56 with nothing more than 1.5 pots.

Also, your a contributing player to the community. Your fine.

It's the thousands of other clueless powerlevelers who think to beat gurgux, you have to put a speed pot on, and run out of the room, causing the boss to heal...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    315 Posts

Your point is very wrong.
    Power-leveling is having levels influenced by others, therefore being unique from regular leveling.
    Elixirs, anyone can do, power leveling, you need to find someone.
    Believe me, sometimes parties are much faster than a single power leveler.
    As with your 63k kills, people use elixirs, sometimes they just don't kill much, for instance I was a support mage up until level 45 or so, and only debuffed, buffed, revived, healed and froze.
    Not many kills eh? A toon can go many ways, however whether they are power levelled are not, you should at least still have respect for such a person.
    What I'm thinking the gist of this is, is that no, it's not the fast levelling that we are annoyed and exile at...

Do you notice, that most people who complain about power-leveling, are high levels themselves?
    To be honest, I have never seen a player under level 50 complain about someone power leveling, it is ONLY because these high levels are just angry that their hard grinds, without power leveling seem to go to waste, with these new players easily leveling up.

I think this IS the point we are getting at.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    315 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pharcyde View Post
    But you grinded 50-56 with nothing more than 1.5 pots.

Also, your a contributing player to the community. Your fine.

It's the thousands of other clueless powerlevelers who think to beat gurgux, you have to put a speed pot on, and run out of the room, causing the boss to heal...
    Never said I was power leveled, I tried this to see how you would react.
    1.5s and pure mage for me, hardcore all the way^^

But the verdict of this little theory:
    People usually WILL respect one who power levels after they prove themselves.
    Sometimes a player may already be well experienced with their character, but just want a few fast levels.
    I, in honest opinion am against power leveling in all ways.
    I'm also against dual specs, or anything not pure to base stats.
    I should start a little army of pure hardcores sometime^^

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Power-leveling is having levels influenced by others, therefore being unique from regular leveling.
    Power leveling - Term used to describe the process of leveling a character as rapidly as possible with the least amount of play time. It can be used from any level up to the maximum level in the game which is currently 56.

Energizer Bunny - Term used to describe a player who has leveled rapidly, using a damage and exp boosting potion.

Leacher - Term used to describe a player who has gained all of their exp by simply doing nothing, or joining parties much higher level than him/her.

Booster - Term used to describe a player who offers his/her service to another player. This service could include item farming, gold farming, or rapid leveling. The player may sometimes charge for this service.

Best way is the fast way - Players who level using minor potions for gold.

CTK = EXP - Players who leveled 50-53 in Crush the Keeper, to avoid having to level in the sewers.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

But the verdict of this little theory:
    People usually WILL respect one who power levels after they prove themselves.
    Exactly, we don't dislike power levelers because they didn't grind, we dislike power levelers, because they are ignorant.

If you can prove to us that you understand the mechanics of your character, the party setup, and how to do things on your own, then were fine with you. It's the players that ask "How I rev?" in a level 55 map that the community dislikes. By that level, players are expecting you to do your job.

Lets think about this in a real life situation:
    You just got a job, you ask your co workers nonstop questions, they are willing to answer, because your new. Now lets say you have worked there for eight months, and your still asking the same exact basic questions that you did when you first started, your co workers are going to hate you.

Hopefully that puts it into retrospective. We don't hate players because they took the easy way. It's their time, their game, their money, let them play it how they want. Just don't ruin the game for others, because you decided not to learn how to play properly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlzap:340946
    A toon can go many ways, however whether they are power levelled are not, you should at least still have respect for such a person.
    What I'm thinking the gist of this is, is that no, it's not the fast levelling that we are annoyed and exile at...

Do you notice, that most people who complain about power-leveling, are high levels themselves?
    To be honest, I have never seen a player under level 50 complain about someone power leveling, it is ONLY because these high levels are just angry that their hard grinds, without power leveling seem to go to waste, with these new players easily leveling up.

I think this IS the point we are getting at.
    No need to split hairs over the definition of the term. I didn't mean to start that sort of discussion. I apologize. I realize that some power leveling involves someone to help, a higher level player. And maybe that's the type many object to the most. In this game we also have elixirs to help. In other games in the past, players have used some form of exploit. Some of which were extremely bizarre

Whirlzap, it is your final point that I agree with you whole-heartedly. It is hard, I know from first hand experience, to do the thousands and thousands and thousands (many other games take way more kills/xp than PL) of kills the standard way only to have others level faster. And I agree everyone should have respect for the people who do it the conventional way. Two level 55s can be standing next to each other, one did it old school and one power leveled a lot and there's no way to tell the difference. Kinda too bad really. But those that do can take great pride in their accomplisment.

I'm just suggesting that if, at high levels, someone is having a hard time with group dynamics it is not likely, it is not logical to assume, that it is because they recieved some form of power leveling.

I started trying to find out the answer to my original question, basically is power leveling against the TOS because I power leveled someone till they leveled one time. Then many, many levels latter they pm'ed me wanting more, repeatedly pushing me to say yes even though I told them I was in a great group and would help them later. I said no, they logged and sadly havn't heard from them since. I didn't know how the devs of this game felt and wanted to find out. People are constantly asking me, and cuz of that neg experience, and not being sure of the rules in this game, and cuz of the fact that they were total strangers asking me, lol, I have just not responded to these requests. In three previous games I have power leveled dozens of players. But almost always good friends who were fellow guildies who were leveling alts. This is why I get upset when people don't have respect for someone just cuz they get some power leveling - or use it as an insult if someone is having a hard time with their game. Maybe it's a good idea that no one should jump to conclusions and we should all have respect for our fellow players.

I've never been power leveled (except few times pre-level 10 when a high level joined in FH to farm Meathead, and I love using elixirs) in any game ever. But, I've always really enjoyed helping my friends. These were really fun times. And I do and always will have great respect and admiration for everyone who does it old school.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Good point that I forgot to bring up Aikiebo. You mentioned that after you leveled them once, they started demanding more leveling. That was another big issue that everyone else forgot to bring up. Once you do it, they get addicted to it and want more, more more more morrree power leveling. Also players are usually really rude about it, get really demandy, and don't even say thankyou for all the help you gave them. That is another big reason why power leveling is frowned upon, you help them, and they insult you.

Anyways, don't worry about players demanding it. You will meet a lot of demandy players in this game, you just have to learn to say no.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts

Um, I've been in I don't know how many hundreds of games recently and hosted I don't how many hundreds of games recently. No one has asked for payment for grouping/xp'ing. The worst infraction I saw was someone trying to sell in one of my groups. After he slowed down the group and did not listen to chats and PMs about stopping, he got booted. That's it. I would definitely consider a player extremely rude to ask for payment. He'd get ignored so fast, he wouldn't remember my name

Anyways, it's a social game. If you can't contribute to the group, I think it's only fair to leave or for the group to make you leave.

Star light, star bright...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisFI View Post
    i dont like to be power leveled or have a high level in the group...unless they my friend but high levels steal ur kills ;D.
    C'mon, man. I bit the bullet and switched to a baby bird to avoid that just for you. (Pssst! Baby bird is still gonna steal your kills. *insert evil bird laughter*)
    Rauen Haikus' dex 60 sammich-maker; Grievousangel Haikus' 58 Mage/Butler, Jeffrey; Diffie Wounded's 55 drink-mixer; Ghazaal Noobmigo's 47 cheerleader. SL: Rauen, 36 Op & Bod's turkey baster; Yosinabe 36 Engi; Chedaka 36 Comm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts

Because I'm currently a high-level, that doesn't mean this is the first time I've complained about power-leveling, you know. Didn't like it when my only char was Yosinabe at level 20. Don't like it now with a lot more chars and a lot more levels under my belt. I'm glad that you were able to overcome the problems that can come with power-leveling and you're an asset to the community as a whole, but a lot of folks don't and aren't. And frankly it drives me nuts to have to try and educate someone in the middle of a mob-scene in the Sewers about something they should've learned when they hit, say, level 25.

Look, it was my choice to grind all my chars. My choice to grind Rauen to 56 with only the last 5-6k on XP pots. A lot of people make different choices about what's right for them and that's fine with me. I'm not angry at them not wanting to do it the hard way; I'm angry that they don't give a flying flip about how their play affects anyone else in what's supposed to be a cooperative effort. Not caring about anyone but themselves is what makes me cranky.

ETA: Mea maxima culpa for a double post. No pinks for me....I'm cursed!
    Last edited by CanonicalKoi; 07-05-2011 at 12:40 PM. Reason: apology
    Rauen Haikus' dex 60 sammich-maker; Grievousangel Haikus' 58 Mage/Butler, Jeffrey; Diffie Wounded's 55 drink-mixer; Ghazaal Noobmigo's 47 cheerleader. SL: Rauen, 36 Op & Bod's turkey baster; Yosinabe 36 Engi; Chedaka 36 Comm

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Here is what it REALLY comes down to. No one hates, dislikes, "frowns upon" or has any other negative feeling towards power leveling. What people despise is bad players. You can reach max level in one day or one thousand, no one will care if you play well when you join their game. The thing is that bad players tend to like leveling up as fast as possible without doing any work or enjoying the learning process of leveling up traditionally. It's a stereotype, and just like all stereotypes they exist for a reason.

All you personally need to worry about is doing what you want to do. This is a game, it's supposed to be fun. Don't let other people tell you how to play a game. If they don't like you they can leave your game or boot you, if you don't like them you can do the same. If you want to power level go for it, but make sure you take some time to learn how to play well or else others won't want to play with you and you will be easily discouraged by the harder content later in the game. If that doesn't bother you and you just want to be high level to go back to forest haven and one shot zombies then that's fine too. Do what you want and boot anyone from your game who doesn't agree with you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aikiebo View Post
    Yeah, maybe the reason a mage is not healing, is because they don't know how. But, that is only one of many reasons. Can't assume it's cause they've been power leveled. In fact that's the least likely of several possible reasons. Why would anyone just jump to that conclusion. In fact these casters I was talking about choose not to heal. They don't think it is their job. And they really think they are doing their group a favor by standing there doing nothing most of the time. They think they're uber but really just bumming a ride so to speak. My point, if someone is having a hard time you just can't assume it's because they have been power leveled. That is most likely NOT the reason. I've never seen a mage say, after someone has died, oops sorry I didn't heal ya, I was power leveled so I don't know what I'm doing.
    If a mage doesn't think that healing is their job, they don't know how to play properly. End of discussion. Whether they are powerlevelled or not to me doesn't matter at that point. Immediately, my concern is for the welfare of my group. Either they need to be taught, or if they are one of those stubborn people, booted out. From where I'm standing, that's a player slot from an incompetent player who refuses to receive feedback, who can hopefully be replaced by somebody more capable. I hate to sound harsh, but when facing bosses like Gurgox or Goldfever, keeping such players around when they refuse to listen can have serious consequences.

Nobody in their right mind is ever going to say "I'm powerlevelled. Sorry, but I don't know what I'm doing." The problem is when there are players around who do not play properly at the higher levels. At the lower levels; it's fine - the difficulty is quite forgiving. In a level like the Catacombs, where there are 5-10 slime creatures blasting fireballs at the team simultaneously, that's asking for a group wipe.

It does not take 63,000 kills to reach 50. Heck, even though it takes 83,840xp to 56, you can do it in less than half that with a damage dealing class. I'm not concerned about how long it took for a player to reach a certain level, merely whether they can play properly. And seeing PUGs, often the answer is no. I'd applaud anybody who can grasp game mechanics quickly and easily (likely people with prior RPG experience), but in reality, there's usually a correlation between player skill and experience.
    Last edited by WhoIsThis; 07-05-2011 at 01:15 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts

I powerlevel people on very rare occasions if im feeling bored or have nothing better to do and ill always be glad to help out my friends with leveling, one thing though is I dont charge people for leveling though. So long as they help fight and dont complain about it im always happy to help people, however I had one person who decided to sit back and sponge the xp and I warned him ahead of time that I dont allow people to do that and finally I said sorry and left. Its a thing u gotta deal with, some people just want a shortcut so they dont have to put in an effort. :\

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aikiebo View Post
    I didn't mean to start that sort of discussion. I apologize.
    I don't think you have anything to apologise for. You brought up a very valid question and have continued the conversation in a very mature and structured way. The topic is very controversial and as you have already seen there are many differing views.

As already stated above, saying 'ALL power-levelled players can't play PL' is not factual, as is 'all non-power-levelled players are great'.

My view in a nut shell is power levelling has a time and a place, but 'generally' it's rarely done effectively.

It is just basic logic that if you let any player leech XP from a game and they contribute nothing except just being there, they have a significantly lower chance of learning anything, therefore they will probably have less to contribute when playing in a team.

If you change the name of it from 'power-levelling' to 'player improvement' and ensure the player participates, is active, is willing to learn and more importantly (this is KEY) YOU have the knowledge & are attentive enough (observant and asked the right questions) to be fully aware of what they know and don't know, then you are adding some value to the players knowledge and skills. This in turn adds quality to the games they are likely to play in in the future.

In short power-levelling is often frowned upon because it 'generally' produces high level/low skilled players, which for a PvE team game isn't what some people want.

Again 'generally', people who power-level other players, blindly giving them XP, and nothing else either have no knowledge of what the effects are or have low levels of ability to teach and simply aren't able to assess another players skill and impart the right knowledge to help them progress. Obviously if your helping a player you know has skill, and has several high level alts, to power-level a twink to 30, then I'd suspect they may know what they are doing.

Think about this.

A power-levelled player will want more power-levelling when you're gone. A 'player improved' player will be armed with the right skills and knowledge to progress themselves, or at least know where to find the info when they need it. There is a big difference.
    Use the SEARCH function or it'll probably be here--> PL stuff or SL stuff >>> I'm 'SRINGY 2' .
    ** Elf/Redbridge - Ursan/Scorpionious - Avian/Bolticus ** Eng/Redbridge - Op/Yoda **
    I am responisble for what I say. I am not responsible for what you understand