Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are mages and archers the new warrior?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I adjust and adapt as a mage in the group. Sometimes I find I am leading us but I don't freeze anything until best does his job, but simply put if an archer uses their vines attack to hold them, I just wait another 3 seconds to cast bear spells. No big deal. I find all kinds of techniques are useful.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    380 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZHEOTARE View Post
    I like running just behind the bear. However, most groups I'm in, everyone hesitates after the mob kill. I don't stop, so I always end up in front.
    Lol zheo, you know how we run

And Hank, the hardest one is working with another bear, but I think you and I do a pretty good job at doing that

-------AEO-------

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Let's keep the Bear talk going. Good bears make the game awesome in my opinion. Necroreaper, can you shed some light on techniques for 2 bears to run together more effectively?

I farms sewers with lvl 52 bear. I go in with hate set ready to tank. If i find i am running with a good bear i switch to dex gear and only taunt/beckon/stomp when neccesary. What other ways are useful for bears to get along?
    YYZBird-115, YYZBear-115, YYZMage-115

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YYZ???? View Post
    Let's keep the Bear talk going. Good bears make the game awesome in my opinion. Necroreaper, can you shed some light on techniques for 2 bears to run together more effectively?

I farms sewers with lvl 52 bear. I go in with hate set ready to tank. If i find i am running with a good bear i switch to dex gear and only taunt/beckon/stomp when neccesary. What other ways are useful for bears to get along?
    Pardon if I cut in, just wanted to share as well since I run with other bears often.

There must be one designated lead bear. This bear decides which mobs to clump up together and where. This bear can change a lot throughout the game, and the second bear has to be aware which he is. It can be as easy as whoever is nearer to the next mob becomes the lead bear.

That said, timing of skills is important. A lead bear would usually beckon, hell scream, stomp. The second bear can do the same, but I suggest only after the lead bear completes his combo. This is so you don't waste beckon and stomp combos.

That's it really, IMO. I follow that and two bears actually proves to be as fast as one, if not faster. The second bear's beckon usually complements the lead bear's beckon, especially if some miss or lack in power to really pull mobs together

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Paladins and warbirds need to realize they are not tanks. Just because they can don strength gear and survive rushing ahead doesn't mean they are tanking. They need to be able to take taunt and take aggro to help keep the team alive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    380 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ellyidol View Post
    Pardon if I cut in, just wanted to share as well since I run with other bears often.

There must be one designated lead bear. This bear decides which mobs to clump up together and where. This bear can change a lot throughout the game, and the second bear has to be aware which he is. It can be as easy as whoever is nearer to the next mob becomes the lead bear.

That said, timing of skills is important. A lead bear would usually beckon, hell scream, stomp. The second bear can do the same, but I suggest only after the lead bear completes his combo. This is so you don't waste beckon and stomp combos.

That's it really, IMO. I follow that and two bears actually proves to be as fast as one, if not faster. The second bear's beckon usually complements the lead bear's beckon, especially if some miss or lack in power to really pull mobs together
    This.

I always establish a lead bear and if I'm lead I do things normally. If I'm second bear I wait for lead to finish b/HS/stmp combo then I preform same combo usually to the same wall or sometimes an opposite if itll grab the rest of the mob.

It's most important though for the two bears to have this mindset, for them to establish a lead, and to work together. It's not so obvious when birds mad mages are working against each other or not clicking but when bears do it, EVERYone has a bad day.

EDIT***

Also I find that as an attack bear my combo is especially goods a complementary one to the lead bears combo because mine does more damage and either kills the whole mob or they have so little HP left that the rest of the party could literally just auto attack the mob to death. If there is a tank bear present in the party, I'll let him tank, as my bear isn't built for that but can be used as one.
    Last edited by NECROREAPER; 09-09-2011 at 03:19 AM.

-------AEO-------

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The way I deal with the problem as a bear is I wait for the lightning that follows after the birds have finished their thorn wall, and cast hell scream myself. Follow that up with beckon-stomp and you've prob killed the whole mob.

Most times commando birds and images die when they get ahead of me anyway so I'm not fussed. After a few deaths they'll learn even without you saying anything. I'm usually more worried about lousy players leaving after a few deaths than about my ego from them running ahead of me. Ego is a useless thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

In the Sewers, given how hard enemies hit, it was perfectly viable for pure int mages with custom and pure dex birds with the custom recurve (or drainers or raid roach) to lead the group. In many cases, they were forced to for lack of a bear (in a PUG) or if the bear simply did not tank (happens often in PUGs; I was once told by a bow bear that his "job" in a group was to auto and to spam his slashes and when I noted that a bird could do that far more effectively, he booted me).

Nuri's is different because enemies hit harder. Ironically, I have found many strength bears are now noticeably more timid because of the one hit kill procs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsThis View Post
    Nuri's is different because enemies hit harder. Ironically, I have found many strength bears are now noticeably more timid because of the one hit kill procs.
    I've noticed a lot of players being more timid in Nuri's in general. I was goofing off on my mage, 55 at the time but I had the 1.5x combo elixir going and no one else did...several times on a Haunted Symphony run everyone (2 archers, another mage, and a bear...all levels 56-59, higher than me) stopped and waited for me (it seemed) to lead in. I asked "Why are you stopping so often?" and one replied "You have an elixir, you go first". I about crit my pants.
    Moogerfooger - Dex Bird | Moogerfoogerz - Dual Bear |Brutalityz - loser mage