Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Are people asking to boost their "Thanks" ratings to get a higher reputation?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Hahaha! Thanks for somewhat clarifying Sam!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Wretch For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DawnInfinity View Post
    I'm not a fan of neither the reputation nor thanks system, really.
    Just had to, with SATS coming up and all. <3
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Zeus For This Useful Post:

Guardian of Alterra DawnInfinity's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    I have subject tests on Saturday. I'm having one of your episodes from the other day cause I'm on like 3 different cold medications...
    *Follow my blog, and I'll love you forever *
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysticaldream View Post
    She's not hot, she's sexy. Sexy steph
    Quote Originally Posted by Arterra View Post
    does it matter? we all praise and adore your presence, may your light fall upon our eyes...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DawnInfinity For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

Saying "I'm not a fan of neither" is uhhh yeah not...unless I missed an edit somewhere
    Moogerfooger - Dex Bird | Moogerfoogerz - Dual Bear |Brutalityz - loser mage

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Moogerfooger For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DawnInfinity View Post
    I have subject tests on Saturday. I'm having one of your episodes from the other day cause I'm on like 3 different cold medications...
    LOL! Have fun! They don't require California to take Subject Tests anymore, thank god. I lucked out.

Lemme know if you can walk right; better yet, lemme know if you can run on a treadmill.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Zeus For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Moogerfooger View Post
    Saying "I'm not a fan of neither" is uhhh yeah not...unless I missed an edit somewhere
    If you're disagreeing with two different things, you use "neither-nor" though, correct? Ugh, these grammar rules are messing with my head! I need my mojitos, now! Mango please.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Zeus For This Useful Post:

Guardian of Alterra DawnInfinity's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Parth, msn..?
    *Follow my blog, and I'll love you forever *
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysticaldream View Post
    She's not hot, she's sexy. Sexy steph
    Quote Originally Posted by Arterra View Post
    does it matter? we all praise and adore your presence, may your light fall upon our eyes...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to DawnInfinity For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

If you're disagreeing with two different things, you use "neither-nor" though, correct? Ugh, these grammar rules are messing with my head! I need my mojitos, now! Mango please.
    It'd be "I'm not a fan of either the X or the y" or "I'm a fan of neither the X nor Y". "I'm not a fan of neither" is a double negative, lol. I ain't gonna take no grammar mistakez from youse! (see what I did there? ha)

Grammar Police switch OFF. I am bored. Forgive me

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Moogerfooger For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

It'd be "I'm not a fan of either the X or the y" or "I'm a fan of neither the X nor Y". "I'm not a fan of neither" is a double negative, lol. I ain't gonna take no grammar mistakez from youse! (see what I did there? ha)

Grammar Police switch OFF. I am bored. Forgive me
    OH! I knew about the double negative too, so stupid that I didn't catch that. Bleh, I got owned by stud muffin. Future reference to the ladies and gents watching. Studmuffin is called stud muffin for a reason. If you try to eat him, his studs will break yo' teeth!

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zeus For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

OH! I knew about the double negative too, so stupid that I didn't catch that. Bleh, I got owned by stud muffin. Future reference to the ladies and gents watching. Studmuffin is called stud muffin for a reason. If you try to eat him, his studs will break yo' teeth!
    Lol. No ownage here. Just helpin' a bro get his marblez straight after a temporary misalignment Whenever I get lost, I just say, "I'm not lost, I'm just temporarily disoriented". Just claim temporary insanity/disorientation/marblez-lostage

Back on topic, I will thank you for no good reason other than I can.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Moogerfooger For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

I pointed this one out when the reputation system was first implemented. It's too easy to exploit.

I think overall, the forums would be a better place if the thanks and reputation system were abolished altogether. It is redundant, but worse, it is misleading. Absent of a system, we have already all established a reputation in the forums (most people who have posted in this thread anyways).

It's best to judge a post by the content of what it provides. Generally, people with higher post counts are more reliable.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to WhoIsThis For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Lol. No ownage here. Just helpin' a bro get his marblez straight after a temporary misalignment Whenever I get lost, I just say, "I'm not lost, I'm just temporarily disoriented". Just claim temporary insanity/disorientation/marblez-lostage

Back on topic, I will thank you for no good reason other than I can.
    Temporarily disorientated by those mojitos?

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Zeus For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    380 Posts

I've Also noticed that it's not just the thanks that are being over used for rep, but also a lot of newer for members are just posting one or two word responses to boosttheir post count. I know of one person who had just 200 posts a couple weeks ago and now he has almost 600.... -_____-

-------AEO-------

26. The Following User Says Thank You to NECROREAPER For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NECROREAPER View Post
    I've Also noticed that it's not just the thanks that are being over used for rep, but also a lot of newer for members are just posting one or two word responses to boosttheir post count. I know of one person who had just 200 posts a couple weeks ago and now he has almost 600.... -_____-
    This does remind me of how several players put together hastily written guides in the hopes of being selected for GOA ... it's obvious and it shows.

On that note, things like GOA or boosting reputation ... why does it matter so much to people anyways? There is no reward for either (although having the ability to lock your own thread may be useful and to be honest, I think that all users should be allowed that right or at least ones with an established reputation). I guess people just want that shield badly and want to have lots of "thanks" under their name.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to WhoIsThis For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    95 Posts

Well I was surprised to have gotten 2 bars or 3, whichever, (I use android app most of the time.) You can tell by my thanks that I only thank posts that genuinely have helped me. I hope everyone did the same for me. I got most of mine from my recent contest, my Operative build guide, and some random posts on others' threads. The reputation system is important to me if it is here to stay, as I hope to be taken seriously as a contributor. I've seen a few forumers with one red bar, which throws me off when reading their post, and I'm sure others feel the same. If this reputation system must be in place, then I hope there's no way to abuse it. Those thank you's I recieved make me feel good, and if I knew they were ill-gotten, I wouldn't get that good feeling anymore.
    Last edited by Ebalere; 09-28-2011 at 10:44 PM.
    Proud Co-Leader of Infinite Union
    Infinite Union forums

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Ebalere For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    315 Posts

Honestly, my opinion of this is people putting:
    "If this post was helpful, thumbs up!"
    In their signature. I did it once but then removed.
    I'm proud of Ellyidol because I haven't seen him put any "boost my rep if this was helpful" in his signature and simply earned it because people thought he was helpful.
    Not bashing anyone, simply saying this statement:
    People already know that there is a rep/thanks system, what's the point in puting it in your signature?
    Look around, I'm pretty sure 99% of people with over one bar of rep has a "thunbs up if this was helpful" in their signature.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Whirlzap For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlzap View Post
    Look around, I'm pretty sure 99% of people with over one bar of rep has a "thunbs up if this was helpful" in their signature.
    Elly is a beast. And I'm guessing people put that in their sign because the thanks system is still pretty new so new forumers might not know about this feature. And btw not everyone with over 1 bar ask that in their sign
    I'm glad that the main contributers in the forums are acknowledged. But I could see how the "thanks" system could be misused. Also the tapatalk app only allows the use of thanks :/, hopefully the thumbs up feature is also implemented as you can actually give a reason for it.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

the way to change the world is by doing one act of kindness at a time, care to buy some cookies?

PL: Zaltiar Lvl66| SL: Hellcharger/Alibi Lvl 41Com|Zaltiar Lvl38 Op| Warbringer 38

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Zaltiar For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    95 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlzap:430525
    Honestly, my opinion of this is people putting:
    "If this post was helpful, thumbs up!"
    In their signature. I did it once but then removed.
    I'm proud of Ellyidol because I haven't seen him put any "boost my rep if this was helpful" in his signature and simply earned it because people thought he was helpful.
    Not bashing anyone, simply saying this statement:
    People already know that there is a rep/thanks system, what's the point in puting it in your signature?
    Well, I didn't even know about this feature till I saw it in DanielRh's sig. So I figured why not? Whats the big deal anyway? If the feature is going to be here then might as well make use of it. If it's "looked down upon" I will remove it, but to be honest I just put that in a day or two ago and haven't recieved any thanks since as far as I know. I don't know what the big habub is about. If there were ranks based on post count, then the forums would be much worse off. At least people are trying to contribute and I'd rather see a sketchy build guide than half of the other threads that get made in a day. I think the ones who are taking this so seriously need to realize that no matter the bars under someones name, we all know who that person is, and if their info can be deemed helpful before reading it.

Edit: on laptop now, and I see irony in this thread. I think popularity can earn you a few thumbs up here and there. Example, and no offense Otu, but if you were random Joe schmoe do you think you would have been thanked twice for what you added to the conversation? Valid opinion, yes. Worthy of two thumbs up? No.

Double Edit: Would any of you that are bothered by this, still be bothered if you had more rep bars? Or are you mad that you aren't getting thanked as much as others are? Another good point to make while I'm here, is should fellow guildmates be afraid to thumbs up their fellow members post if it did help them? Wouldn't human nature make you more inclined to do so if you had the option to, and the thread or post in question truly helped you? On your excellent new PvP guide, should Tankkaar, Crim, or kungfu be afraid to thumbs up your post for fear of you being called on this issue? I just think too much weight is being put into this new system. What counts is the post. Even Samhayne make pointless posts sometimes. We're all just having fun and if one starts taking things too seriously it begins to feel like a job.

I reread this and hope I didn't offend anyone or anything, just made a few observations within the thread as I didn't have much time on a laptop tonight. Sorry in advance if anyone takes offense to my post.
    Last edited by Ebalere; 09-29-2011 at 12:52 AM.
    Proud Co-Leader of Infinite Union
    Infinite Union forums

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Ebalere For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

I see nothing wrong about saying "thumbs up if you found this helpful/liked", in your thread. I do it in my creative thread! It's a motivation to keep making creative stuff for me, when you know players are liking and appreciating what you do. Just by reading this I can tell a lot of people still don't know this reputation thing is out.
    Last edited by darkfussion; 09-29-2011 at 12:30 AM.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to darkfussion For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

I see nothing wrong with it as well, but I also see that xWhirlz has a point. It does come off as that way, thus I removed mine. I'll monitor over the next few days of how it affects it.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Zeus For This Useful Post: