Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suggested Changes to Engineer's Skills Protection and Force Shield

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thequickone View Post
    Protection: 15 energy, 10 sec. cool-down, 12m range, 60 sec. duration, +30% armor value to all group members in range.
    Force Shield: 10 energy, 45 sec. cool-down, 30 sec. duration, +50% armor value, +3 energy regen, (shield bursts with a hit of 75+ damage).
    My suggestions are similar but damage based for the level 6 skills:

Protection: 15 energy, 20 sec. cool-down, 12m range, 12 sec. duration, 20% less damage to all group members in range.
    Force Shield: 10 energy, 45 sec. cool-down, 30 sec. duration, absorbs 50% damage, +2 energy regen, (shield bursts when it absorbs 75 damage).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Plus 1 to this change. The shield is next to worthless at higher levels. I only use it in between mobs, which makes no sense then. If I try to use it during mobs, the bubble pops, and I'm left with a negative investment in mana.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    293 Posts

I would like Force shield a lot more if it was a sustainable ability.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts

Hmm. Protection is fine as it is, despite what people say there are some pretty good ways of using these skills, and theres plenty of stuff hidden down the line in the actions area that ends up not being used anyway... so dont really believe any of the current skills require tweaking... if at all prot lasts too long haha... ive yet to see one who keeps it cast consistently, most engies havent even figured out when to cast it, and those who have discard it for a better skill (another damage one?) ... would like to see engies being more of a support class in the way that engies get skills like kinetic reservoir or precision, ie class specific buffing abilities, makes the classes a little more interdependent, right now engies are moving out to do more damage and worrying about dps and what not

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Hmm. Protection is fine as it is, despite what people say there are some pretty good ways of using these skills, and theres plenty of stuff hidden down the line in the actions area that ends up not being used anyway... so dont really believe any of the current skills require tweaking... if at all prot lasts too long haha... ive yet to see one who keeps it cast consistently, most engies havent even figured out when to cast it, and those who have discard it for a better skill (another damage one?) ... would like to see engies being more of a support class in the way that engies get skills like kinetic reservoir or precision, ie class specific buffing abilities, makes the classes a little more interdependent, right now engies are moving out to do more damage and worrying about dps and what not
    Even at lvl 5, it lasts less than a fraction of a second in a Slouch-O mob, and it's gone almost as soon as it's cast. The only reason to cast it at those stages is for the mana buff. And even then, it's an amazing +1 m/s.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dracula:454488
    Plus 1 to this change. The shield is next to worthless at higher levels. I only use it in between mobs, which makes no sense then. If I try to use it during mobs, the bubble pops, and I'm left with a negative investment in mana.
    First and foremost, thank you Dracula for casting Revive on my thread! I've been meaning to bring it back to life for a while, but have just been waiting for the right time. Now will do!

Quote Originally Posted by Deathpunch:454868
    I would like Force shield a lot more if it was a sustainable ability.
    Agreed. What do you think of my revised skill wording? If you think it needs tweaks, please take a crack at it! Thanks for posting!

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Thank you for your feedback! Would you mind giving a bit more explanation about why you think Protection is fine as it is? I'd love to hear more of your thoughts! At early levels, 60 extra Armor (max, mind you) may be fine. However, I believe its effectiveness really falls off at higher levels (hence many, including me, dropping it at respec). Also, keep in mind 60 extra Armor only offers between 1 and 3 damage mitigated per hit, depending on the mob/campaign (make sure you read kamikazees' thread if you have not already, link in OP above). Trust me, I don't like the idea of tinkering with the game's original design or intent. I would not have suggested these changes if I did not believe they were absolutely necessary! In fact, if Protection were changed as I suggested, it could even be less effective than its current benefit, depending on the level/loadout of the target. Regarding Protection lasting too long, make sure you read my revised skill wording, where I suggest Protection only last one minute. Finally, if you really want Engies to focus more on support, give them support skills that are more functional than their attack skills!

Quote Originally Posted by Dracula:455005
    Even at lvl 5, it lasts less than a fraction of a second in a Slouch-O mob, and it's gone almost as soon as it's cast. The only reason to cast it at those stages is for the mana buff. And even then, it's an amazing +1 m/s.
    Umm... I think you've mixed up Protection and Force Shield. Slant was talking about Protection. However, I totally agree with your assessment of Force Shield. If STS will not consider my suggested changes, they may have to change its animation so that it really looks like a soap bubble!

EDIT (2011-10-20, 20:56): Hit submit before I was done! Grabbed another quote, and corrected some spelling/grammar problems... I know, ever the perfections!
    Last edited by thequickone; 10-20-2011 at 11:03 PM.

PL: Thequickone warrior, Torrenz archer, Faebronia enchantress/main
    SL: Thequickone commando, Torrenz operative, Faebronia engineer/main, Helpdesk <PiF> engineer