I can see the good and bad in this suggestion myself. Personally, I'm kinda against it the way you have it stated about in the mechanics, as I can see it being used totally by players instead of purchasing plat with real money, and STS has to be able to pay the bills somehow.

It might work better in sort of a truncated version, where it is doled out in small amounts, say you get 10 plat with a new user (not per toon, but per individual user login) so people can see what it is good for and can be used for, and then another small amount at level intervals, say 5 plat per 10 levels. With that type of system, if they save it, by the time they hit lvl cap, they could have 30 (soon to be 40) plat to spend on something good. That way people can save it if they want to buy something big, or if they blow it, then they have to actually purchase more.

I know this is an unfair footing for those folks that don't have a credit card, but let's be honest here. If they have a handheld device that is capable of running SL/PL in the first place, and a high speed connection, wether it's 3g/4g or wireless through their home high speed network, they, or their family has a few bucks for disposable income and can certainly pony up to support the game a little bit if they enjoy it that much.

Also, I was able to earn somewhere between 150-200 plat through the "get free plat by downloading apps" options in the plat store (This is the TapJoy option mentioned above) over the course of a few (2 at most?) months. If that's not enough for the casual user to be able to play around with, then they are just being wasteful with it. That would buy an entire plat armor set with weapon & shield if you wanted, and tons left over.

Just my 2cents