Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Regarding: Absence of Guardians of Alterra

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts

I think in the future we should be very careful about who is selected for GoA. I also believe perhaps were some responsibility given to the GoAs it would motivate them to continue to help the community.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    380 Posts

I think people have grown too expect too much of the GOA. For example (and yea, most of these are assumptions):

-if you don't post often and a lot everyday you can't be GOA
    -if you're not pope-like in game you can't be GOA
    -if you don't make a new guide all the time, or any guides at all for that matter, you can't be GOA
    -if you disagree with anything, you can't be GOA

These are some very brief and very general assumptions that a lot of the community makes.

As Micah said, "...people should not try and achieve GoA. They should be themself and if they deserve GoA they will get it.". This is exactly how I feel about GOA and AoA for that matter, and is what I tell people when they ask how to become AoA.

-------AEO-------

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NECROREAPER For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts

I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around your point of view. Just because the quality has declined doesn't mean we should ditch the entire idea. Many would argue PL in general is struggling right now and has declined. From your point of view does that mean we should just ditch pocket legends and let it crumble?

You don't shoot your dog just because he's stopped hunting. (maybe I missed something...?)

~MM

Edit: this was meant for whoisthis, on my itouch I can't tell if it replied to Whoisthis or not :\

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMicah View Post
    I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around your point of view. Just because the quality has declined doesn't mean we should ditch the entire idea. Many would argue PL in general is struggling right now and has declined. From your point of view does that mean we should just ditch pocket legends and let it crumble?

You don't shoot your dog just because he's stopped hunting. (maybe I missed something...?)

~MM

Edit: this was meant for whoisthis, on my itouch I can't tell if it replied to Whoisthis or not :\
    The difference is that PL is completely savable and could be turned into one of the best MMOs around.

The GoA program may be past that point in my opinion. Interest has declined in this program. Becoming a GoA is not longer a priority. Furthermore, as Necro has pointed out, a series of assumptions were made that are not without some justification.

I for example, challenge point 4 that Necro made. I do not agree with the official line. I debate a lot and am quite willing to take a strong stance on something.

Finally, destroying PL will be bad for STS for obvious reasons. Abandoning the GoA program will not have any harmful effects and may actually benefit the community in that it gets rid of the accusations of elitism.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pandar View Post
    Okay so I think we've established that everything thinks it is on the decline. But the question I haven't seen answered is what would you like to see happen in order to revive it?
    IMO the GOA program is awesome...it just shows how much interaction there is between the players and the devs to even have a program like this to begin with ......by the way because someone becomes a GOA it doesn't mean they have to play pl everyday for the rest of their life.....we all love pl but we are human and it is a game

Engelhard lvl 85 Engelbird lvl 85 Engelbear lvl 85 Engelrhino lvl 85 Engelfox lvl 85 Drahlegne lvl 10 Engeltwink lvl 10 Kitco lvl 10 Engelone lvl 1. And 12 mystery toons <(^_^)>v

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts

You keep saying the GoA is past the point of a return. Why? As far as I can see the GoAs are doing fine and being extremely helpful. I mean sure we could remove the GoA status from the innactives. How is it so difficult?

You also mentioned "the elitest group." once again. This is human nature coming out. People think that these guys are "better" than everyone. They don't like feeling inferior. Its also true that if we ever have any kind of "leaders" theres gonna be jealousy. That's part of life. Should we not have GoAs? Should we not have a supreme court because people will be jealous? Should we not have state representatives? Etc. Etc.

~MM

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

You keep saying the GoA is past the point of a return. Why? As far as I can see the GoAs are doing fine and being extremely helpful. I mean sure we could remove the GoA status from the innactives. How is it so difficult?

You also mentioned "the elitest group." once again. This is human nature coming out. People think that these guys are "better" than everyone. They don't like feeling inferior. Its also true that if we ever have any kind of "leaders" theres gonna be jealousy. That's part of life. Should we not have GoAs? Should we not have a supreme court because people will be jealous? Should we not have state representatives? Etc. Etc.

~MM
    We need a Supreme Court because we need a final arbitrator for our justice system in society.

But the GoA system is not like that at all. What purpose does it serve at this point? Increasingly, I get the feeling that the answer is nothing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts

I'll tell you what purpose it serves. To honor those who rightfully deserve honor. Should we not reward those who have worked hard?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

I'll tell you what purpose it serves. To honor those who rightfully deserve honor. Should we not reward those who have worked hard?
    Indeed. But in its current state, it is not doing that. It's best to IMO to scrap this one entirely and if desired to reboot the entire program.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

It is a cherry on top of the great community we have. The GOA's have been a great contributing positive force
    For Alterra. The general
    Atmosphere has gotten more friendly then last year when I started and there was no GOA program. As for the the people complaining.... It seems that people spend to much time searching for all the things they do not like about this game and none talking about what they like...sure spend a lot of time playing it for people who don't like it lmao.....anyways let's just all play and have fun.........thank you to the GOA's for doing all y'all do........merry Christmas everyone

Engelhard lvl 85 Engelbird lvl 85 Engelbear lvl 85 Engelrhino lvl 85 Engelfox lvl 85 Drahlegne lvl 10 Engeltwink lvl 10 Kitco lvl 10 Engelone lvl 1. And 12 mystery toons <(^_^)>v

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts

Perhaps it is time for a new program? Would be a bit repetitive though eh?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cascade View Post
    Perhaps it is time for a new program? Would be a bit repetitive though eh?
    Perhaps. This one has outlived its usefulness.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

AoA = new program

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I think the two programs we have now are great.....maybe just throw in more events like the ambassador party involving members giving out goodies to keep them fresh on people's mind and keep the community smiling because everyone seems to want free pixels lol just a thought

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts

What is it that makes you say that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,020 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Engelhard View Post
    AoA = new program
    I still don't entirely understand why they program awarded its members. Was it people that helped new players and greeted them to the game? The AoA list is so long, I don't think it's quite capable of replacing the GoA program. They seem to each hold a slightly different meaning. GoA seems more exclusive, at the time being at least. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice program, but not quite capable of taking over a GoA type program.

As for reviving it. I agree with Attack. It's past the capability of revival. It had lots of potential, but it's kinda lost its meaning. Whether a new program should be added or not, I don't really know. GoA is kinda bittersweet. There's the sweet side: People being awarded for representing what the devs like to see, and then some, and encouraging others to be helpful. Then there's the bitter: A majority/large portion of the community disagreeing with the newly elected members, people joining forums and trying to sugar coat every post to get it, jealousy, and more. I think if the devs made it something that someone couldn't change into, it'd hold more meaning. AKA, raise the standards of GoA tremendously. For example, only award those with posts and threads (plural, not singular) that are Yanis, and Phys material, which still would be difficult to do. When the list was announced, most on the list were top-notch, highly respected members, and as said many times before, that changed. It's really an intricate thing, even if they do fix it, one change can easily mess it up again. I think will all the trouble of fixing it together, and still having the possibility of it being ruined, it should either be taken out or die out. I don't see it continuing in the same direction it has been.

Also Wound, I haven't been active this past month nearly at all I logged in once to see the new items for 3 minutes this whole week lol. I've pretty much quit, just without the getting rid of my items thing...yet

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts

I disagree. I just don't get why people think it's lost it's touch. Is it because of the things necro posted? Because they aren't constantly posting or because people are disagreeing with them? Please someone fill me in on what I'm missing here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pandar, you've asked for ideas on how to better the situation, one thing I'd strongly recommend is that you take a selection of players be it goa or a new council of players and brief them out with what you have planned for the future, obviously part of the deal would be not to announce what is coming or it would ruin the fun these players can then give you thorough feedback on everything coming, this i imagine would of stopped the winter fest situation before it happened as a compromise could of been reached.

Take two half and half of the council high plat users and non or little plat users and see what is said, I imagine there would be a small difference between the two sides on how much to charge but that's where you would step in for the final say, taking into consideration what has been discussed and with an explanation as to why the outcome is X Y and Z

Customer relationships are built and lost by the owners of company's having run my own business and now setting up a new one I know how hard it is to balance overheads with profit, so this isn't a dig at winter fest or anything else just an idea that could and if done properly should improve the game from all aspects.

Personally I like what the goa's have done, i think it's good that you have this programme in play as it does help the new players when they are about, you wouldn't believe the amount of people asking the simplest of questions yet it's upto a few people to answer them or direct them to the answer.

If your after some constructive criticism and ideas on how to help the newer players I have plenty, just drop me a pm, I may not of posted a lot on these forums but I've read them since the app came out on a daily basis.

Thanks for reading folks, sorry if I've bored you half to death, Dave aka Curiana and if you do remember MUDs I was Engra on most of them all those years ago

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

Is there any particular reason why you think the GoA program has lost it's luster? I'd love to hear more of your thoughts on that.

Also, beyond just adding more to the group, what would you like to see from the program?
    Okay so I think we've established that everything thinks it is on the decline. But the question I haven't seen answered is what would you like to see happen in order to revive it?
    Ok, lots to discuss, but firstly thanks to Pandar for publicly asking for some feedback on the GoA Programme.

In order to answer "what would you like to see happen in order to revive it?" a few things need to be highlighted.

Firstly, most, if not all, of the initial recipients of the GoA award were really truely 'elite'. The standards they set simply don't exist anymore. There are a very small handful of people who might be close but things have moved on since then and it simply isn't possible for those exceptionally high standards (or specifically the exceptionally high standards/knowledge above the general community) to be replicated. More of the community has a much higher knowledge level now than back then. We saw some real star ppl when SL was released but I'm not sure we'll ever see that original 'game changing' level of player again.

Secondly, any clear and useful communication from STS about the GoA programme has been very very infrequent, at best. Often the community has discussed in great detail the pro and cons of the GoA programme and rarely is there any clarity from STS about what they are trying to achieve, what they expect and rarely correcting the community if they have the wrong impression. My gut feeling is what started off as a reward programme was seen as potentially something more but was never managed, PR wise, correctly, and was allowed to turn into something it never was.

Finally, I have to agree, unless something is done, soon, the GoA programme would be best left as a great memory. I'd gladly admit I was one of the first 'shock' choices for GoA. The standard was sooo high it was an honour to be considered with those people. I'm not sure though that the standards of the subsequent choices have been bad, they've mainly been great choices but impossible to compare with the originals. I've said it before but it needs highlighting again. The community don't see what STS have access to (chat logs, reports, emails, etc) but many people still feel qualified to 'question' STS choices for GoA, which IMHO is simply not realistic or fair.

So, my thoughts on "what would you like to see happen in order to revive it?"......

1. STS need to be very clear what they want the GoA programme to be. Is it just a thank you? Is it more, maybe a recognition of high and exacting standards in the hope that those standard will brush off on the rest of the community? Is it more than that maybe even a group of players charged with visibly upholding the standards of the community with a defined role to carry out? Whatever it is, STS need to decide and define it clearly.

2. Communication. Much of the problem I think has been the lack of clarity over the STS programme. Both from STS to the community and also from STS to the GoAs themselves. Apart from the original private announcement and a handful of communications/feedback from STS all communication between STS & myself is generally instigated by myself. This has led me to believe that the programme is just a reward/thank-you and not something more active, otherwise they would have told me, right? With the community, there has been plenty of opportunity to 'set the record straight' and clarify 'what is a GoA' when the discussions have ensued, but it rarely happens. So, my opinion is clear and regular communication would resolve many misunderstandings and cement a clear view across the community of what is a GoA..

3. The community needs to be engaged with. They are the life blood of the game. Let's be honest, whilst the people on the forum may think they are the voice of the community, the real community are everyone in game. There needs to be more effort by STS to really engage with a wider spread of players and listen to what they are suggesting. Many have some great ideas and would be a very good sounding board for most things. In the early days of the GoA programme it felt like the community was consulted and often new content was as a direct result of feedback. There does seem (may only be appearances) to be a reduction in real STS interaction. If the community felt heard and listened to, even if not always agreed with, many of the gripes wouldn't be anywhere near as bad.

So, my summary. Be clear what you want from the GoA programme, communicate clearly & correct any misunderstandings and interact more frequently with the community to find out there concerns/ideas/likes.

Hope that helps.
    Use the SEARCH function or it'll probably be here--> PL stuff or SL stuff >>> I'm 'SRINGY 2' .
    ** Elf/Redbridge - Ursan/Scorpionious - Avian/Bolticus ** Eng/Redbridge - Op/Yoda **
    I am responisble for what I say. I am not responsible for what you understand

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Redbridge For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts

If there's an AoA, there should be the DoA (Devils of Alterra). This is my opinion, don't hate. Anyway, It's too early...but I can't wait to say "I knew it...", if nothing drastic happens soon. XD. Too lazy but I posted that idea somewhere here in the forums which was later on supported by the good versus bad thread. Anyway, you can analyze all you want, people don't like "nice" at least marketing wise...do you watch TMZ or your local news? people like bad news all the time...that's what sells people and that's what get their attention, you can learn a thing or two on media about this...definitely, the good guys, alone, will just bore people, they need bad guys so people can appreciate them more...so...good luck amigos! XD
    Last edited by zeusabe; 12-17-2011 at 05:16 AM.