Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Patch Coming This Week and Changes to Mount Fang Boss Gauntlet

Tournament & Ladder Leader Onaraasider's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aikiebo View Post
    Do people realize that 2 plat = $0.09. Yeah, 2 plat costs 9 cents.

Anyone who uses a lot of plat, e.g. pink farmers, should use the $90 plat pack.

So, it is nothing like paying $5 every time you turn on a faucet. It's like paying 9 cents everytime you try to farm a pink in an OPTIONAL area.

And you are going to get more than one chance to farm that pink for 2 plat. There will be several bosses of course.

Having 2 plat per run boss gauntlets makes perfect sense. As we all know:

1. This new boss gauntlet is OPTIONAL.

2. Free-2play games like Pocket Legends make their income from OPTIONAL content.

3. The free-2-play business model IS DESGINED FROM THE VERY BEGINNING so that only a small portion of players buy the optional content.

4. This benefits the other players who don't/can't spend money. They get to play the game for free.

5. Free-2-play video games is a multi-million dollar industry.

6. They all operate on this same principle. Everyone gets to play. The only people who pay are the ones that WANT to.

There's no reason to complain about this new OPTIONAL level. If you don't want to have fun by playing there, you don't have to.
    actually it cost .20 cents 5plat=.99cents
    Thanks to Aaroniero Arruruerie for the wonderful signature
    tap green thumb or thanks button if i helped!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Elyseon:533809
    Hmm why dont u just add a fee for every boss you kill, it could cost plat to list things in cs, maybe charge 2 plat when ever we want to equip a different weapon, it could cost if we want to kill some one in pvp, 2 plat every time we change characters, 2 plat to host any game, 2 plat to boot anyone, add pvp potions that could only be purchased with plat, cost 2 plat every time you want to pm someone
    Because, as it has been said dozens of times, to play the game is FREE. You can play the whole game for free. It is the optional stuff that STS earns their revenue from.

Why would you even ask such a question?

But, there is a game that charges for chat box activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Onaraasider:533838
    There's no reason to complain about this new OPTIONAL level. If you don't want to have fun by playing there, you don't have to.
    actually it cost .20 cents 5plat=.99cents[/QUOTE]

I don't know if you own a calculator. Most smart phones have them. In fact, most Trac Phones have them, lol.

Enter: 90
    Enter: / (divided by)
    Enter: 2000
    Enter: =
    See: 0.045 (that's 4 1/2 cents)
    Enter: x (multiply)
    Enter:2
    Enter: =
    See: 0.09 (that's 9 cents)

Anyone using a lot of plat should buy the $90 plat pack. If they don't they can't complain how expensive things are.
    Last edited by Aikiebo; 01-07-2012 at 09:33 PM.
    "How Wude! Mesa your humble Servant."
    "You can argue with me, but you can't aruge with the math." Foghorn Leghorn, 20th Century American Philospher

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mackjack:533356
    Yeah, technically this game is playable without spending real $ on it, but jeez it's rapidly getting to the point where it's simply not enjoyable unless one constantly blows plat on this game.
    Nothing is changing about Mt. Fang. The only thing that is happening is an ADDITIONAL map is being added that is 2 plat per run. This doesn't change the fun of the game at all except for the better. People who want to farm themselves a set can now do that way easier. People who want to farm to make in-game coin can now do that way easier.

It changes nothing for the people who just want to play the main spine free.

I am excited about this change for many, many reasons. One, I kind of gave up hope for getting a crafted 65 set. I have every component that is needed. I can't get the gear in drops and to date have not been able to afford to buy the uncrafted set. So, this is really exciting.

This is exactly the sort of thing that we need to attrack and hold 1,000s and 1,000s and 1,000s of new players.
    Last edited by Aikiebo; 01-07-2012 at 09:47 PM.
    "You can argue with me, but you can't aruge with the math." Foghorn Leghorn, 20th Century American Philospher

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

how is it a free game if u have to pay lots of real money even at high lev to keep up with people poted and even live with having a chance at a pink

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Samhayne View Post
    Good point, Robert. We can probably create an alternate area for those level ranges to use for Premium access.
    its not like most of the boss end maps even drop that well anyways

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lowellpimpd:533874
    how is it a free game if u have to pay lots of real money even at high lev to keep up with people poted and even live with having a chance at a pink
    I understand what you are saying. And I realize, if someone wasn't looking at it from a business angle, it could seem frustrating.

It costs several million dollars to create, maintain and expand a game like PL, SL and DL. So, you kinda got to ask yourself why someone would spend that kind of money. They do that because they are hoping that they will make even more money than it cost to develop and operate the game.

They want to make more money than they're spending.

Free-2-play games are litterally taking over virtually the entire game industry. Real soon, it is going to be an extreme rare thing for a game to not have at least some free-2-play elements. And by that I mean, spending rl money on in-app purchases.

Even WoW has become a hybrid free-2-play/pay-2-play game. Which of course is much better than the 2-week free trial they have had for so long. They have several in-app purchase ops and some believe that rmt has been implemented.

As far as "having" to keep up with others. You don't have to. There will always be people at all levels to play. If someone doesn't use elixrs that's ok, there are people your level who are playing the game every minute of every day.

And from what I understand, technically speaking, the chances of getting a pink is the same in a free map or a 2-plat map. The difference will be is that 2-plat map players will see more bosses than the free player will see in the same amount of time played.

Anyways, hope this helps.
    Last edited by Aikiebo; 01-07-2012 at 10:25 PM.

Guardian of Alterra FluffNStuff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

@aiekbo:
    If they still give out the guardian shield, then you sir deserve it. Too bad we can not designate our successors because I would happily give my shield to you. People might think I am being sarcastic but I assure you I am not.
    I have defended the developers from a lot of criticism, and people would ask if I support everything STS does. My reply was always no, there are things I disagree with, but I believe in the general direction the game is going.
    I can no longer say that, so how can I be a guardian of what I don't believe in? You do believe in it, so I ask you to guard it. But never forget you must protect Alterra from all enemies, BOTH foreign and domestic.

The Hundred Acre Legends:
    HunnySniper - HunnyStorm
    Please Fill out the End Game Pet Survey!|||||| What's With that Shield Icon?

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FluffNStuff For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

How do I take this down ? Only can edit
    Last edited by Late; 01-07-2012 at 10:53 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts

@Aikiebo, i think where most of us are concerned is the direction of the game, not so much it's current state.

Honestly I really like reading your comments because I see you are smart enough to reason with everyone and "take on" so to speak the tons of people who are against you. In short, you're the underdog and I like that.

I can see you have a very logical brain and my respect for you has gone up insanely. Cheers mate

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

@aikiebo

Man, you are like the George RR Martin of this forum: Pages upon pages upon pages...

Sure 2 plats ain't much in the grand scheme of things, but it's the principle. 2 plats today, 5 plats tomorrow, etc. Pretty soon if you want any hope of looting the best items before the next campaign comes out, you're gonna have to pay for these "optional" farming maps. Again, it's not the cost, but the principle.

And seriously, did you think that STS' "looking into" our concern about pay per play would turn into this?

Toot STS' horn all you want, just realize that most us won't be convinced by (and probably won't even suffer through) your walls of text to dance to your tune.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    382 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aikiebo View Post
    Do people realize that 2 plat = $0.09. Yeah, 2 plat costs 9 cents.

Anyone who uses a lot of plat, e.g. pink farmers, should use the $90 plat pack.

So, it is nothing like paying $5 every time you turn on a faucet. It's like paying 9 cents everytime you try to farm a pink in an OPTIONAL area.

And you are going to get more than one chance to farm that pink for 2 plat. There will be several bosses of course.

Having 2 plat per run boss gauntlets makes perfect sense. As we all know:

1. This new boss gauntlet is OPTIONAL.

2. Free-2play games like Pocket Legends make their income from OPTIONAL content.

3. The free-2-play business model IS DESGINED FROM THE VERY BEGINNING so that only a small portion of players buy the optional content.

4. This benefits the other players who don't/can't spend money. They get to play the game for free.

5. Free-2-play video games is a multi-million dollar industry.

6. They all operate on this same principle. Everyone gets to play. The only people who pay are the ones that WANT to.

Do people realize that $0.09 can add up? Do people realize that if i wanted 30 plat thats $2.70? Do people realize that everytime you buy that "oh its only 2 plat weapon" that youre wasting hundreds of dollars? And yes there is a reason to complain. I dont want to have to pay $0.09 everytime i do a simple action. I was watching the news today and they said that airplanes will eventually start charging you to use the bathroom, wash your hands, get a paper towel. Thats the same concept here. Say u had to use the bathroom 5 times on a trip. You use the bathroom, theres $0.45. You wash hour hands, another $0.45. Use some paper towels, $0.45 gone.

I think Elyseon put it pretty clearly. I dont want to have to spend money on every small action i do. Because $0.09 adds up. Before you know it youre spending hundreds of dollars on a video game, yes, a video game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Sam, Have you considered a subscription option?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMicah:533897
    @Aikiebo, i think where most of us are concerned is the direction of the game, not so much it's current state.

Honestly I really like reading your comments because I see you are smart enough to reason with everyone and "take on" so to speak the tons of people who are against you. In short, you're the underdog and I like that.

I can see you have a very logical brain and my respect for you has gone up insanely. Cheers mate
    Thank you very much for the kind words. I appreciate them a great deal.

I don't know if you realize, but you have made the absolute most logical statement on this whole thread. You said that peeps were more concerned with the direction the game is heading vs. its current state. Wow! That hits the nail on the head!!!

The direction the game is heading, is the exact direction that the entire video game industry is heading. And I mean the entire industry: free-2-play, pay-2-play, console, pc, facebook, mobile, EVERYTHING about the gaming industry.

Ok, we have the 'Magic Mirror' in the game, right. Just imagine there were two of these mirrors facing each other. You'd think all they would reflect is each other, right? But, picture in one mirror is the entire video game industry. But in the other mirror - instead of a simple mirror image, you see STS, and the direction that STS is moving. They are exact mirror reflections of each other.

@fluffnstuff, please don't give up anything. There is no reason to. STS is going down a very, very healthy path. It is just not obvious to every player yet. But it is true.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by mackjack View Post
    @aikiebo

Man, you are like the George RR Martin of this forum: Pages upon pages upon pages...

Sure 2 plats ain't much in the grand scheme of things, but it's the principle. 2 plats today, 5 plats tomorrow, etc. Pretty soon if you want any hope of looting the best items before the next campaign comes out, you're gonna have to pay for these "optional" farming maps. Again, it's not the cost, but the principle.

And seriously, did you think that STS' "looking into" our concern about pay per play would turn into this?

Toot STS' horn all you want, just realize that most us won't be convinced by (and probably won't even suffer through) your walls of text to dance to your tune.
    all i can say if this game was completely free it wouldnt exsist cause sam and all them would end up hopeless and ill say what im sure sam is wanting to say, "read my lips this game is free" and ill reiterate YOU DONT HAVE TO USE PLAT only ppl that need plat are impatient ppl like me. he said he isnt changing anything all he is doin is adding the option

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mackjack:533924
    @aikiebo
    Pretty soon if you want any hope of looting the best items before the next campaign comes out, you're gonna have to pay for these "optional" farming maps. Again, it's not the cost, but the principle.

Quote Originally Posted by Mothwing:533937
    Do people realize that everytime you buy that "oh its only 2 plat weapon" that youre wasting hundreds of dollars?

And yes there is a reason to complain. I dont want to have to pay $0.09 everytime i do a simple action.

I think Elyseon put it pretty clearly. I dont want to have to spend money on every small action i do. Because $0.09 adds up. Before you know it youre spending hundreds of dollars on a video game, yes, a video game.
    Hey!

As far as - did I know that STS was going to do this on Jan. 9th, 2012. No, I didn't know that.

But, I knew with certainty that this is exactly, I mean EXACTLY the direction that STS was gonna go. I knew it with absolute certainty.

Why? Because, this is the direction the entire video game industry is going in. Even WoW is moving towards free-2-play and in-app purchases (in their case, in-game purchases, lol)

I agree, it's not the cost, but the principle. Yeah, the cost is free. The principle is: no one pays for OPTIONAL unless they WANT to.

The questions that Elyseon was asking - STS will never charge for those things!! Never!! How do I know?

Is it because, STS will eventually come to their senses and choose to run their business using sentiment vs. good business decions? No, that, folks, is never gonna happen. None of us would want that to happen. That would kill the game. No business runs on sentiment. Ftlog, charities don't run on sentiment.

So, if STS is not going to cave in to the wishes of about 40 or 50 people and let sentiment be their guide, how on earth can I possibly say, that the things that Elyseon was saying is NEVER gonna happen? Why-0-Why???

Because: What Elyseon was talking about was a Pay-to-Play. A very odd model of pay-to-play, but none the less, it was pay-to-play. If, the main game is not free then it is pay, right?

Someone asked, Sam?, have you considered a subscription model? Right?

Hmmm.... That would be a conventional pay-to-play model, right?

The problem with pay-to-play is this: THE MAJORITY OF THE MILLIONS OF GAMERS IN THE WHOLE WORLD AND IN THE USA HATES PAY-TO-PLAY. Pay-to-play is gasping through a rapid and vicious, brutal death.

Pay-to-play is out. Free-to-play is in.

And with f2p comes IAPs.

If STS decided to go with ANY pay-to-play option, they would be committing business suicide.

The subscription plan would be the worse decision they could make. WoW is right now and has been for some time a hybrid free-to-play/pay-to-play game. It is no longer just subscription based. They have in-game purchases and some folks believe they have real money trading.

Yes, there is nothing to complain about. You say you don't want to "have to" spend money to play the game. You don't have to. Please, be the gaming industry's guest and play free if that is what you want to do.
    Last edited by Aikiebo; 01-08-2012 at 02:45 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

Boss Gauntlet, but with full loot drop.
    so sandstone halls gauntlet will be updated soon?
    404 - not found ...maybe one day...

Tournament & Ladder Leader XghostzX's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,204 Posts

Really looking forward to the 1v1 update as well as other updates. I'm positive STS will do there best to give us the best of what they can provide but balance it with making their money.

For those that are concerned, give this time and a chance to actually update. The minute it's implemented is not the exact way it will end out. Patience

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think it should give you an option at the beginning of the level instead, like "would you like to get a guaranteed luck elixir for 2 plat? ", or something so you can work the two together without making premium places like this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I personally feel like all gauntlets should drop all items because for those who can't buy platinum, it means we can't get the items we want without farming for hours.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Graarizhaka2:534520
    I personally feel like all gauntlets should drop all items because for those who can't buy platinum, it means we can't get the items we want without farming for hours.
    I know how you feel. I have all the components for lev 65 crafted set, but I couldn't get the drops and I can't afford to buy it on the CS. I had totally given up hope of having that set, ever. But, now, cuz of these new plat boss gauntltets, I got hope that I will be able to get the drops I need for a complete set. I'm really excited by that.

But, I understand that your saying not everyone buys a lot of plat. I buy some, but not nearly as much as I would like to. In a way, that is basically how life works. There are lots of things that I would like to do - that I can't. I talked about in another thread how I wish I could start collecting vintage comic books. I can't.

STS has given us two games and are working on two other games that are free to play. We can play all day long, every day if we want - totally free. The only thing that costs money is optional stuff that is not even needed to be able to play the game.

The reason why STS is doing it this way is because 95% of the world-wide video game industry is already doing it or going to be doing it in the next two years.

Why, is everyone shifting to free-to-play? Because almost all video gamers can't stand pay-to-play anymore. We want free-to-play.

The industry follows the consumer because the consumer has money.

Here are three examples to show you what I mean:

1. WoW: In the first nine months of last year, WoW lost over 2 million subscribers. That means they lost what -- about $25 - $30 million a month. That's a whole lot of orc food. According to Blizzard, these 2 million people who stopped playing WoW live in Asia, mainly China. It is in Asia that free-2-play was born and is wildly popular. Blizzard continued to say that these 2 million people left WoW so they could play free-to-play games instead. WoW is now a hybrid f2p game, with multiple in-game purchase ops and aparently even real money trading. Many analysts believe that Blizzard is going to expand its f2p options.

2. On Facebook, there is a game called FarmVille. This game is made by Zynga. It, like Pocket Legends is free-to-play. All, Zynga's games are f2p.

For the first nine months of 2010, Zynga earned $829 million dollars. Almost all their income is from microtransactions/In-app-purchases. In other words, from players spending real life money to buy virtual goods. (Like us buying plat.)

Let me repeat that s..l..o..w..l...y......... $820 million dollars of virutal goods in just nine months.

Let me say that again:

1. $820 million dollars spent on virtual goods
    2. in just nine months
    3. in just one company.
    4. This company, Zynga, didn't even exist three years ago.
    5. Now it has 2000 employees.

3. The Entertainment Software Association (ESA) reports that in 2010, digital game content sales (like our plat) totaled over $25 billion dollars.

$25 billion dollars in just one year.

That's a whole lot of In-App Purchaes!

-------------------

In the next couple of years, virtually every game on any platform is going to be free-to-play. The console market is disinegrating. The future is mobile, social, f2p, and cloud.

So, what does all this mean? Well, basically it is just a whole lot of chatter that boils down to the fact that our STS games, just like all other great games, are going to be so that I can play the main game free. But, if I want to do extra stuff, that is how I will choose to support the game developers by buying plat.
    Last edited by Aikiebo; 01-08-2012 at 07:02 PM.