Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Has Anyone Else Had Enough of "Hats"?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,020 Posts

So? Before it was "OMG update! I bet it's secure trade!" 5 minutes later "Aw my warrior can't wall jump anymore! " it's always been like that. Enjoy the little things. Now think about it, think about how much effort the devs out into the game, then think about how long all that effort takes, now lastly, think how quickly we get bored with the weeks and weeks of work they out into the game. The only thing that keeps us entertained for long is new expansions, and huge, huge, surprises (like auction house) they need to keep us entertained somehow. Also, you have to rermeber, different devs do different things. I am not so sure about how they work, but decker (the hat maker) could be only making hats right now while other devs work on ao3, I am not sure of that at all, but you don't know what goes on down at the space-time studios headquarters.

Also, a lot of us want to see hats to give us something to look cool in, different people have different tastes, so if they bring top hats (example) into the game, and some people hate the top hats, they are gonna get people asking more more, different hats. I like the hats, as well as many other people, in the mean time, most peoples haven't finished Fathom quests, or exlored the new open world, let alone, you can always fall back on farming, pvp, trading, and the good old fashioned talking with friends.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Also you would see a lot more hats if you were doing the new quests with your mains, hats make the lower level quests more fun and entertaining, with your lvl 45.

Hell Violentsaint runs AO2:1 in his metal headphones, always

It just adds more to the game, more then likely increases $ income for the devs and takes nothing away from the development of future content.

You think STS just went "dang it hold all development while we all make hats". They might be just 6 people, but their 6 very experienced people with a long history in the industry, a can do attitude and a strong belief in their tech and IP

Sorry this turned into dev fanboi rant.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Mysticaldream View Post
    I like the hats too Cinco. That's why I bought 10 of them, 2 being 20 platinum, and 4 being 10 platinum.
    There are three kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't. lol
    http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac50/EliteFlamin/atomicenergy-2.jpgHonored Master of The Crusaders of Legend PLoading --- Warrior --- Level 21 EliteFlamin --- Archer --- Level 47

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hats = Revenue
    Hat Revenue > Campaign Revenue

This game is free. Remember that. STS have to make money somehow.... and keep coming with new ways to make money. If it was my team you can be sure that I'd have 60% resource on high revenue paid content creation and 40% on free / low revenue content creation.
    Iela // Staffs and Spells // 45
    Columbaguinea // Blasters and Bows // 45
    Tankteddy // Swords and Shields // 32

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I agree I like hats, keep 'em coming. Alas I can not ride my bike up to Walgreens at 2:50 AM to get an iTunes gift card.
    http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac50/EliteFlamin/atomicenergy-2.jpgHonored Master of The Crusaders of Legend PLoading --- Warrior --- Level 21 EliteFlamin --- Archer --- Level 47

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,020 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flamin View Post
    There are three kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't. lol
    Haha. I meant those were some of the prices!

Edit:
    I agree I like hats, keep 'em coming. Alas I can not ride my bike up to Walgreens at 2:50 AM to get an iTunes gift card.
    Dude I did that! But it was to pizza hut which is stupid now that I think about it because they deliver. Oh well!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Furrawn View Post
    If anything, if the hats generate enough income, maybe they'll hire another dev and even more will get done
    Which generates more income - money from hats or money that would be made from a new area?

And again I have no problems with paying for "things I like" (as with everyone), so it's not a question of complaining that the devs are charging for them.

But I'm obviously in the minority which is OK.

* whispers: Come on anti-hat people, share your "Grrrrs"... *
    Last edited by Spiritualist; 08-20-2010 at 07:01 AM.
    AL: Aardzol (lvl 25 Sorcerer) | PL: Spiritualist (lvl 50 Mage)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    260 Posts

It still amazes me that someone who has been here maybe two weeks and is a level 45 already (and now a merchant with tons of pinks) is already bored with the new content. And so I repeat, if you want to try something interesting, try levelling a character the way the game was designed!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hats are nice but wayyyy overpriced haha thats all i have to say and they keep making more and more and it takes away all our plat/money
    Badass

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Fail thread "get rid of the hatin' yo!" hehe
    I been here since the beginning and I have yet something to complain about the devs, be thankfull for a game like this on iPhone/iPad/iPod, otherwise you be sitting now playing tetris or something in that area lol
    IAMBIRDMAN LVL50 SNIPER
    IAMTHEBEAR LVL45 TANK
    IAMABOOMSTICK LV45 NUKER/HEALER
    I put reality into words.

Guardian of Alterra FluffNStuff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Royce View Post
    Right Decker's the art guy, thanks for the clarification. BTW, does Decker happen to be a Shadowrun fan, or is the name a coincidence? Because some shadowrun-inspired gear would be wicked...
    artist Jason Decker

The Hundred Acre Legends:
    HunnySniper - HunnyStorm
    Please Fill out the End Game Pet Survey!|||||| What's With that Shield Icon?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FluffNStuff View Post
    artist Jason Decker
    Yeah, I though after posting that Decker was likely a real name, still it would be cool...
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6183&dateline=1275696  601
    Quote Originally Posted by conradin View Post
    To doubt Royce, is to doubt your sanity...
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinkTastical View Post
    Royce is right, You are WRONG. Live with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    260 Posts

I loved how the NPCs in towne all had hats one day, and some are listening to headphones. A little anachronistic, but what the hey...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snakespeare View Post
    and some are listening to headphones. A little anachronistic, but what the hey...
    But they're the Fugees, so of course they wear headphones
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6183&dateline=1275696  601

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snakespeare View Post
    It still amazes me that someone who has been here maybe two weeks and is a level 45 already (and now a merchant with tons of pinks) is already bored with the new content. And so I repeat, if you want to try something interesting, try levelling a character the way the game was designed!
    Please explain to me how the game is "supposed to be played".

And I don't think I've ever said I'm bored with the new content or the game. I'm purely saying I don't like hats. If one agrees, then fine... if not, that's fine too. I'm not sure why that comment has to be turned into a personal attack on my character.

16.   This is the last Dev post in this thread.   #36
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,037 Posts

I believe they may have been referring to starting a new character and leveling them up. Many of you were elders before any of the new content came online. Now the game guides you (through newbie dungeons and quests) through Level 23. If you have not tried it, we highly encourage it. Running L5 quests as a L45 player is one thing, but running them as a L5 fledgling archer is quite another!

And doing it all while wearing a cowboy hat is doing it with style

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never knew that... that was nicely explained and a much more welcome way to hear that information. I might just do that - although I do still have a lot to learn with my 45 - but that said, I certainly won't do it wearing a cowboy hat. Now if you had a Marge Simpson hair-hat, I might just consider it (did I just say that?!!!).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't mind the resources on developing hats but I do have a couple of suggestions:

* Group new hats with other updates. I get excited by updates and am let down when its just hats!
    * Add functionality to use a hat sprite but with the stats of the current gear being worn.
    * Keep them a low priority

Personally I love the hats; but my vanity isn't enough to sacrifice all those powerful stats!
    boonce.org - Free Image and File Hosting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Boonce View Post
    * Add functionality to use a hat sprite but with the stats of the current gear being worn.
    Personally I love the hats; but my vanity isn't enough to sacrifice all those powerful stats!
    That's coming.
    Quote Originally Posted by asommers View Post
    Hat hiding will be in 1.4, and we may have time to get the vanity helm override working (so you can see your vanity hat, but have the stats of your helm).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    260 Posts

Spiritualist, I guess I came off as rather harsh. Let me try to say it in a nicer tone.

You got to level 45 so fast and you have so many pinks and you are already loaded with gold that you will never use, but, you are bored with the game and you want AO3. Also, you got to level 45 with the help of others. You now want to know who is asking to be your friend so they won't ask you for help.

Well, I am not attacking your character. I am merely pointing this out. If you don't see how that may appear to someone like me, who has several characters playing through ALL the campaigns, then I am giving you a chance to look from my eyes.

I recommend that you find new pleasure in this game by starting a new character and play this character through the quests and then save him for the next quests when they come out.

Sometimes level 45s join me and I hope they have fun, but I don't play above my level, and that is what I mean by "the way it was meant to be played". I believe this is more fun, and I believe that people who get their first character power-levelled are bored easily simply because they didn't have to work for their accomplishments. Believe me, the fish you catch tastes better than the fish you buy.

I hope that is put more nicely, and please forgive me for sounding harsh. I was typing between jobs at work and did not stop to conside how it might sound.