View Poll Results: Which spec. do you prefer?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Strength + Dexterity

34 62.96%
  • Dexterity + Intelligence

15 27.78%
  • Intelligence + Strength

10 18.52%
  • Full Dex., non-Archer

6 11.11%
  • Full Str., non-Warrior

1 1.85%
  • Full Int., non-Enchantress

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Dual spec. character discussion

Tournament & Ladder Leader AbsolutePally's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    182 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yich View Post
    I dont get where you got any of that from except the third maybe. Part of the strategy in endgame is not just what you spend your skill points in, but your attributes as well. The exact amount is your choice for now, and I think thats a good thing.

Ik my views of pvp are pretty radical. But I do believe that playing other classes helps you get better BC you learn strengths and weaknesses of other classes when fighting. For example I was a pally, all about pally since Nov 2010. I learned to play the class well, and found out how birds can defeat pallies. So with my bird i'm thus able to take down a pally BC I know how I was taken down. I think everyone needs to experience all.aspects of pvp from many perspectives. I've grown from a pally, to being able to use all classes with a high degree of proficiency. My mage can take down bears, my bird can beat mages/warbirds, my bear can beat dex birds. More often then not that is.
    Retired: Alwaysdt 71 Mage. Legends never die, they just fade away.

Revelation

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    378 Posts

45 dex mage
    66 int bird
    Would be cool if you added sets designed for certain specs like an item that took dex and int or something
    Int and ursan
    Idk would be more work tho

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts

Here my triple spec warrior

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Ive played dual dex/int mage since I started this game I run through maps using Sharp scepter sets for mobs/tanking and when I get To the boss I change loadouts To my Flying Recurve set for boss pwnage dex mage has high crit skills when it comes to the boss and for the fast bow shots it usually takes any boss down quickly. Some of you know what im talkin about when it came to sewer days when whole party switched to Custom recurve set and the end of every map to pwn the boss in a instant. PvP has become a Bit tuff with all the str/dodge folks running around but if you got skills you can make it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

There are a few main reasons why people choose to go dual spec.

1. Bears dual spec with str and dex otherwise their hit % is too low. A pure str tank would be very hard to kill, but would miss so often it probably wouldn't kill you either.

2. Birds dual spec with str so they don't get mowed down as easily. A pure dex bird can pump out damage but has low armor and no buffs to improve its ability to take damage.

3. Mages are generally pure because they have it all. (Suitable hit %, armor.dmg, skill dmg etc).

4. The next reason is as Fast mentioned... That by being dual spec a character can use two sets. A tanking set for the mobs and a DPS set for the boss.

Some of the perks to a hybrid set mix are nice too. Like using beastly armor helm and buckler with a flying talon on a bird or bear gives high dodges and armor while having high DPS from range and hit%. The downside to these mixes is that there is no set bonus.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ixillicus For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,058 Posts

Yap.

Items class specific so we don't have nub warbirds anymoar.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dudetus View Post
    Yap.

Items class specific so we don't have nub warbirds anymoar.
    Comeing from the int bird

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts

Name:  photo (3).jpg
Views: 87
Size:  335.4 KB1. What advantages does your dual-spec. build out offer?
    - If there are no advantages, what do you find compelling about this build out?
    My duel spec. build gives me more hit, weapon damage, nuke power, and attack range. Also, it lets me use the best designed weapon in-game! (Death shotgun)

2. Is this spec. particularly viable at certain level ranges?
    - If so, which levels?
    My spec. is very good at levels 22-60 on mages, then again at 66.

3. Is the spec. more advantageous in PVP or PVE game types?
    - If so, which game type is it better for and why?
    I feel my spec. is best in PvP, but usable in PvE.

4. Which abilities do you invest most in with this spec.?
    Damage skills and buffs first. (drain, frostbite, fire over lightning and ice storm)

5. What type of gear makes this spec. more viable?
    - Does the gear tend to have Str, Dex, or Int stat requirements?
    Dex usually, but at 66 and pre-50 I also tend to use Int gear with dex.
    - Do you prefer defensive or damage stat's on this character's gear?
    Damage.

6. SHOW OFF!! Do you have any screenies of your character?
    - I'd love to see them, especially if your character looks unique, has unusual stat.'s (DUH - see thread name ;P) or is just totally SWEET!
    Last edited by Zapoke; 11-08-2012 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Added picture :)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts

hi techno, is this because of the email I sent u? hehe.

Well, here's my take on things:

At endgame pvp:
    bears: will always be dual dex/str otherwise their hit % will be 66 since str doesn't add hit. Without a high hit % their beckons miss too much and they are useless. The good tank bears (what few we have left) will run str sets because bow bears become to squishy to cc unless they are on elixirs or have a good group of mages and birds who debuff and kill before the bear is taken down.
    imo, in pve the best mages are pure int and the best birds are pure dex. You will see an occassional warbird and pally running around but the added str (while increasing their survivability) greatly reduces their damage output and they can't contribute to the group as much as pure. A pally and warbird may argue that they can stay alive and keep aggro but I haven't seen one yet that keeps aggro when a pure dex bird or pure int mage is in the group. The only plus for a pally, imo, is they can stay alive to rev the group.

in endgame pvp:
    Bears will still always be hybrid dex/str but will run in str sets.
    Birds will compare the dex and str sets and go with whichever one gives them the greatest chance of success. In humania I felt like it was the phantom crossbow with it's dodge. With blacksmoke there are lots more going with the str set.
    Mages will compare between int and str. i'd say 75% of mages at endgame pvp now are str.

low level pvp:
    Bow bears rule from levels 10-29. It's hard to fight against level 6 rage. Once you get to 30 you start seeing more of a diversity of builds until you get up to the sewers and then you start seeing alot of the same as I explained in the endgame pvp section.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mage till the end View Post
    Comeing from the int bird
    Hehe int bird is many things but it isn't nub

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    78 Posts

Nerdy bird ftw! Talons being available and worth using are hit and miss where as wands are always reliable
    Just my 2 plat

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,462 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snakespeare View Post
    pure str bears are supposed to taunt and draw attacks to their awesome armor while the pure dex birds stay back and shoot high dps and the mages heal and debuff... it wasn't designed for PvP but for group play, so they figure if PvP is all bird v. bird it's ok
    Even in group play it doesn't work well unless you have some dex to hit.
    Sory to derail what's supposed to be a discussion on duel, I just saw an opportunity to point out this oddness to TE. Pure is viable for all but bears.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts

My two main toons are a Pally and Bow Bear. I've had a few other twinks that employed weird builds, but I don't use them much anymore, so I can't comment on what other builds are effective.

PALADIN BUILD:
    In all honesty, I started moving towards a Pally build for my mage during the Sewers expansion. Between the huge mobs and those darn fire-traps, my squishy INT mage did not have the armor or HP to survive. Then, during the Nuri's expansion (pre-nerf of course), I committed more STR to my toon because the mobs hit so hard that even a hybrid INT/STR build was not enough. During the Mt. Fang expansion, I noticed that the INT Crafted set added a lot of armor and dodge. I didn't change my attribute allocation, thinking that Mt. Fang was an anomaly, considering that every other expansion did not bring much armor to INT sets. When Humania came about, between the Angel sets and the Offensive/Defensive sets, I was still seeing that armor and dodge was high for the class so I have stopped allocating STR to my build - mostly to increase my skill damage. It may sound strange, but right now, I am comfortable enough with my (almost) Pally build to run with the Sea Devil set most of the time. Because of my high STR allocation, I have enough armor, hp, hp regen and dodge that I can offset the damage losses from lower INT attributes with a staff as my primary weapon.

I am a bit concerned with the new Blacksmoke sets because even now, my Sea Devil set offers more armor, damage and crit than a comparable level 75 set. I am hoping that the introduction of crafting will bring damage and crit back up to Humania sets if not surpassing them.

BOW BEAR:
    I started my bear as pure STR, but with such a low hit %, I was missing more often than hitting. Then, with the Forgotten event coming about, I looted a bunch of low and midrange level bows and decided to go with a 50/50 DEX/STR build so I could equip the bows. After the base requirement update on the Forgotten items, I reallocated to a 60/30 DEX/STR build so I could continue using the bows.

Frankly, and I know that you've heard this a million times over, the FBows are very overpowering. They're great for PvE, and essentially a requirement for PvP, so I have stuck with the build. The added DEX ensures that my Beckon usually lands, as does my Stomp. The added damage and crit coming from the bows ensures that I can actually kill mobs and control them too. Granted, the lower armor hurts, but maxing out Rage helps to somewhat mitigate that, as does the added Dodge.

Ultimately, the problem with pure STR bears is that their hit % is so low, but the armor, hp pool and hp regen are so high that they essentially become punching bags - so they usually can't be taken down, but they also can't really kill anything either.

AL: Kalizzaa
    Retired Officer of <Elite Runners>
    Elite Chronicles: Solo guides for elite maps - No longer maintained

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    235 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wvhills View Post
    low level pvp:
    Bow bears rule from levels 10-29. It's hard to fight against level 6 rage. Once you get to 30 you start seeing more of a diversity of builds until you get up to the sewers and then you start seeing alot of the same as I explained in the endgame pvp section.
    Da hail? Bow bears get pooped on by birds and half decent mages at these levels... Bear is just a more common and traditional character for low level.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snakespeare View Post
    pure str bears are supposed to taunt and draw attacks to their awesome armor while the pure dex birds stay back and shoot high dps and the mages heal and debuff... it wasn't designed for PvP but for group play, so they figure if PvP is all bird v. bird it's ok
    Taunting doesnt work if it misses half the mob, along with the fact that bears are supposed to be crowd control... They have more use then just "taunt", such as tuant, beckon into a wall (or other confined area),Hell scream to reduce the mobs hit%, and then stomping them into a stun while other squishy toons get all the glory for the kills. Long story short have you ever tried to do any of thes when half the skills you fire off miss? Applying max dex to any strength bear is the only way to be an efficiant tank bear (even if it does open you up to recieving a little more damage) in either PVP or in PVE.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TANKKAAR For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

PvP pally with str is ridiculously hard to kill. Especially with the new 75 str set 40+ dodge. Absolutely ridiculous.

PL-lvl 76 Duper mage (main)
    AL- Hephaestus warrior (main), Duper Sorcerer

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Superduper For This Useful Post:

Reputation and Thanks are serious business
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,080 Posts

My bird has 50%Dex-50%Str

21.   Click here to go to the next Dev post in this thread.   #38
    Developer - Inactive Techno Email's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts

Very interesting discussion, guys!

I added a poll, because polls are cool. ;P I added a couple options to the poll that I think are pertinent to the discussion, despite not being dual spec..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Techno Email View Post
    Very interesting discussion, guys!

I added a poll, because polls are cool. ;P I added a couple options to the poll that I think are pertinent to the discussion, despite not being dual spec..
    You forgot to add full INT to the poll

AL: Kalizzaa
    Retired Officer of <Elite Runners>
    Elite Chronicles: Solo guides for elite maps - No longer maintained

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Superduper View Post
    PvP pally with str is ridiculously hard to kill. Especially with the new 75 str set 40+ dodge. Absolutely ridiculous.

yes, yes to super you should listen.