Thread: Where did everyone go???

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vampinoy View Post
    That's a very optimistic way of looking at it. You're saying these STS games will feed off each other and eventually people will just go in circles hopping between STS games. That is assuming there will be no competition

I just provided articles and a video that will prove that the market will soon be saturated by PC MMORPGs...so in your equation, include the likes of World of Warcraft, SWTOR, Firefall, Guildwars 2, Rift Online, Warhammer, Tera Online, Neverwinter, Lineage, Elder Scrolls Online, Secret World, etc. and tell me, how in the world will you convince someone to re-roll to another game that is STS if these are also available to you? In fact, let's roleplay now, assuming I'm an STS player and you're STS, how will you convince me to stay given those other available games Why should I pick you?

The only thing that will prevent these giants from ROFLstomping STS, Gameloft's O&C, and other existing mobile MMOs is if they create a very solid and loyal player base (Also know as FANBOYS who will defend and stick with STS no matter what)...which is exactly what they're all not doing (In fact, they're weakening and confusing their player base every time they release new games), there's no sense of fanboyism in STS at all because the community is divided internally already LOL Anyway, these things are about to unfold as early as the end of this year...so things can get pretty ugly here very fast, if you have any experience with PC MMORPGs, a game can lose hundreds and thousands of players in a month (look at SWTOR, probably lost near half a million subs already in a couple of months) just because of competition *cough*Guildwars 2*cough*...does PL have hundreds and thousands of players as buffer in preparation for this oncoming competition? If not, then it's far from being fine, these incoming games from PC MMO all have a history of sucking the life out of each other in terms of player base, so it's not extreme to assume that all these games can suck the life out of all STS games when they come into the picture...they're already doing that presently Case in point, when GW2 came into t0he picture, SWTOR lost half a million subscribers and WoW also lost near a million subscribers (even more probably)....guess what, GW2 in its first month had 2 million purchases (So simple addition right?).

If you're talking now, yes, they're fine, but if you start looking at the latest buzz...you know something big will storm the mobile scene very soon...they're already probably ****ting their pants right now at the thought
    First of all, I have to say that PL can only benefit from such criticism so keep it coming. It's competition which makes products better therefore it's good to be informed about other gaming options.

My comment was about people leaving PL for AL. Yes, I was taliking about now. As for the general picture... if I was STS then I would take the statement

Why bother with pocket legends when you can boot up Star Wars: The Old Republic on the bus
    as a compliment. It basically says that PL's dominance in mobile gaming might be threatened by giants in the future. It is an indirect recognition that PL is big in mobile MMOs.

I am personally not impressed by graphics, tech specs, sophistication or popularity. It's a matter of taste and personal style... e.g. WoW is the most popular MMO but I would prefer GW2. But still, I don't play GW2 because my life is too complicated, I can't afford to spend more thought on a complex game. If I wanted a complex game, I wouldn't have left chess

There are other games too... League of Legends, Borderlands, World of Tanks.... etc. For casual gaming, Mario and... Tetris are great. Other people play solitaire. Many games, many companies yet they all manage to survive. Why? Because they aim at different target groups.

If all these companies enter the mobile market, the outcome will be unpredictable. Why would a mobile gamer want a complex game? Maybe the small company with experience in the field will win. Maybe competition will force them to evolve and we will see a better game... Who knows?

Finally I don't like fanboyism as it hinders constructive criticism. As a customer I always try to select the best available option for my specific needs. Maybe today it's PL. If tomorrow brings something better I will welcome it, not cry about it... you said it, I am optimistic and as such I don't like catastrophology either
    When danger reared its ugly head, he bravely turned his tail and fled / Yes, brave Sir Robin turned about and gallantly he chickened out / Bravest of the braaaave, Sir Robin!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Brave Sir Robin For This Useful Post: