Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Idea for Elite Dungon with great rewards....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Default Idea for Elite Dungon with great rewards....

I keep hearing folks complain about how the drop rate for pinks in these chests are so low...

Here is a cool idea for an elite dungeon...

Imagine a very long and difficult dungeon... one that takes at least a half hour to complete, and needs a good party of 4 and much team work to complete. And I don't mean any old group of 4 can just put in the time and complete it. I mean this dungeon will be VERY DIFFICULT to complete. If you are not up to the task with good gear and good skills, and don't have good team work, then you will NOT be able to complete it and beat the boss.. And you can't run past the mobs to the boss, you must kill every single mob before the boss will spawn.

Now here is the good part. Upon completing the dungeon and beating the boss, each party member is guaranteed an elite chest drop. Each party member will get either an elite copper, elite silver, elite gold or a rare chance at an ELITE PLATINUM CHEST. Platinum chests are better than bronze, silver & gold chests. Platinum chests give 100% pink items. So each Elite Platinum chest gives you 3 random pink items. And you can also sell these elite platinum chests. How much will they go for? 1m each? Maybe more?

I think this will add some excitement to the game, rather than everyone just farming elite jarl in 2 minute runs over and over and over...

What do you think?
    Last edited by Energizeric; 12-26-2012 at 05:25 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts

I'll be the first to say that I absolutely LOVE your idea. Being an MMO veteran of 10 years, it really takes me back to the days of the old school raid. Well, minus the 8+ hour commitment and having to spend raid points against 39 other people for a single piece of gear that may or may not drop haha.

The only drawback I can see to this is that AL at its core is a casual game played by casual players. The hardcore people and leaderboard junkies will love it, but I wonder about everyone else. If player x has 30 minutes to spare, does he/she raid this extra difficult instance for 30 minutes to get one elite chest and/or a chance at elite platinum chest? Or does player x decide to do 15 Jarl runs to get maybe 3-8 elite chests?

Now if the loot in the elite plat chests were different from the rest of the pinks... well hey now we're talking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts

Your idea is great but i dont think it will be good for the economy because it will kill buy and sell, ,and you dont have to earn gold when you got that "platinum chest" IMO

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk 2

Prepare yarr selves to beee doomed by the faaaarrrttt gun!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by moonway03 View Post
    Your idea is great but i dont think it will be good for the economy because it will kill buy and sell, ,and you dont have to earn gold when you got that "platinum chest" IMO
    Well, I don't know if you played PL, but maybe this is the AL version of getting a dragon item drop to you. I know folks that spent months farming for dragon items and never got a drop. I also know a few that got lucky and sold them for upwards of 10m. Knowing that was possible, folks spent hours and hours every day trying for that very rare drop. Until they increased drop rates a couple of months ago, dragon items were so rare that you would only hear about a couple of drops happening each week, yet hundreds/thousands of players were farming non-stop for them. I'm sure I did thousands of runs myself and never got one. But it sure was fun. What I did do was saved every penny I got from farming pinks and merching, and after 3 months of saving I bought a dragon set for 26m.

I know folks will always complain when there are extremely expensive and rare items in the game, but it sure does keep us hard core players interested as we always have something to work towards.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Energizeric For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

we all know deep down sts is loving what they've achieved with this game.

i can't even imagine how many people bought 90$ plat packs just to purchase 1 item off ah

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

I think that would be awesome!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

It's a fascinating idea that would indeed deepen the end-game considerably. I'm surprised this hasn't gotten more support.

There are more mechanics that make it an engaging and thrilling boss fight. We already see some such as wind up attacks (Jarl), punishing for lack of melee aggro (Mother and Stabb), and adds (Lord Mardrom and Thunk), and particular weakness (Frost Bolt and Mines' Ghum).

Putting them all into one epic boss fight with considerable reward would make a very distinguished game.

Imagine a fight where at least one of each class was needed and had a role to play, and would be severely punished for failing to do so.

Maybe the warrior HAS to use Chest Splitter to interrupt a boss wind-up or he finishes a deadly spell cast. He also has the responsibility of getting aggro on the adds that come into the room every 15 seconds. The boss will aggro whoever performs CS on him so the warrior is free to move to the adds.

On the side, the rogue HAS to be the one sticking on the boss as the boss only takes poison damage during certain phases. Perhaps every 20 seconds the rogue must surround the boss in a veil of smoke (Smoke Bomb) or the boss will fire a few missiles at members of the party.

The sorcerer HAS to keep two targets continually stunned and knocked down before they can sound the alarm.

That kind of thing, in addition to the boss having a chunk of HP and the encounter becoming more difficult as time goes on (think 10-15 minute fight).

Rewards? Maybe a fixed sum of gold (10 000) and a special chest with perhaps a 30% chance of a pink. Maybe even 1 plat if the boss is down in a certain period of time.

The thing is, I doubt Arcane Legends is even at the stage where such epic encounters are in design. Levels might go up to 70, etc-- it is then that STS will probably turn their attention to making real challenges.
    Looking for dedicated leaderboard players with a sense of perfectionism and patience. PM me on the forums

9. The Following User Says Thank You to primaeva For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by primaeva:914356
    It's a fascinating idea that would indeed deepen the end-game considerably. I'm surprised this hasn't gotten more support.

There are more mechanics that make it an engaging and thrilling boss fight. We already see some such as wind up attacks (Jarl), punishing for lack of melee aggro (Mother and Stabb), and adds (Lord Mardrom and Thunk), and particular weakness (Frost Bolt and Mines' Ghum).

Putting them all into one epic boss fight with considerable reward would make a very distinguished game.

Imagine a fight where at least one of each class was needed and had a role to play, and would be severely punished for failing to do so.

Maybe the warrior HAS to use Chest Splitter to interrupt a boss wind-up or he finishes a deadly spell cast. He also has the responsibility of getting aggro on the adds that come into the room every 15 seconds. The boss will aggro whoever performs CS on him so the warrior is free to move to the adds.

On the side, the rogue HAS to be the one sticking on the boss as the boss only takes poison damage during certain phases. Perhaps every 20 seconds the rogue must surround the boss in a veil of smoke (Smoke Bomb) or the boss will fire a few missiles at members of the party.

The sorcerer HAS to keep two targets continually stunned and knocked down before they can sound the alarm.

That kind of thing, in addition to the boss having a chunk of HP and the encounter becoming more difficult as time goes on (think 10-15 minute fight).

Rewards? Maybe a fixed sum of gold (10 000) and a special chest with perhaps a 30% chance of a pink. Maybe even 1 plat if the boss is down in a certain period of time.

The thing is, I doubt Arcane Legends is even at the stage where such epic encounters are in design. Levels might go up to 70, etc-- it is then that STS will probably turn their attention to making real challenges.
    I wasnt so sure at first but when I read ur post, Im starting to agree.

But this may not happen cuz there are loads of people gonna be farming, that eventually prices will plummet on elite pinks - even if the boss is tough or the chance is rare we all know how lots of people are hardcore. And the 10k gold and 1plat idea is easily exploitable if u think about it.
    Credits to Iady

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    738 Posts

meh... I like it the way it is now (this is just my opinion, please don't be offended)

I wouldn't mind being guaranteed an elite chest, but I don't like the Platinum Chest idea.
    Last edited by Rare; 01-02-2013 at 09:18 AM.

AL: Rare (Rogue)/Common (Warrior)/Mythic (Sorcerer)

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

Amen to the idea of actual challenging encounters that require proper planning and team structure to beat. I'd much rather spend 30 minutes playing a challenging encounter that has a high chance of giving something useful than endlessly running the same mindless tank and spank boss over and over. It's just boring under the current system. It's why I stopped playing all the other legends games and only came back when AL was released.

This game definitely has the most potential to bridge the gap and make it more like a real mmo unlike the other sts titles. Between specializing for roles (tank/dmg warrior, dps/support mage, dps/support rogue) and pets, an encounter that requires thought and skill is actually possible.

If I was a dev for sts, I'd be insulted that content taking months to build is on easy farm mode the day after release. Keep putting out easy content if you want, but give us at least one real encounter that takes weeks to figure out before the first time it's killed each release. And make it hard enough that even once you figure out a strategy, it still requires skill so that you can't just auto farm it.

If you are worried about guaranteed drops of top gear ruining the economy, make drops class specific or token based and not tradeable or able to be listed in cs. This way you can only gear yourself to the max with skill.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    738 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Reggin View Post
    Amen to the idea of actual challenging encounters that require proper planning and team structure to beat. I'd much rather spend 30 minutes playing a challenging encounter that has a high chance of giving something useful than endlessly running the same mindless tank and spank boss over and over. It's just boring under the current system. It's why I stopped playing all the other legends games and only came back when AL was released.
    I see what you're saying and I agree. Alas, it is a game. And once you figure out how to do soemthing, or do it often enough, it will become easy again. Just look at the current elite maps.

If you are worried about guaranteed drops of top gear ruining the economy, make drops class specific or token based and not tradeable or able to be listed in cs. This way you can only gear yourself to the max with skill.
    Terrible idea IMO.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

Only a terrible idea for those who can only get top gear by merching instead of skill. If you look at real mmos, that's a key feature to make it so top gear can't be bought, with gold or plat, it can only be earned.

An economy shouldn't be the most important thing in a game... That's what the stock market is for. Skill should be rewarded, and loot only attainable through skill is the only way to reward it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Only a terrible idea for those who can only get top gear by merching instead of skill. If you look at real mmos, that's a key feature to make it so top gear can't be bought, with gold or plat, it can only be earned.

An economy shouldn't be the most important thing in a game... That's what the stock market is for. Skill should be rewarded, and loot only attainable through skill is the only way to reward it.
    If i remember my time in wow correctly i could just buy anything in ah.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

Early on... until they realized it just facilitates market manipulation of the economy. They subsequently made the true top gear based on earning tokens for killing raid bosses then turning them in for class specific loot. It fosters a more skill based game instead of one that can be easily manipulated by a few early players banding together to control supply and demand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    738 Posts

*cough*this is a mobile mmo*cough*

Just keep that in mind. It's not a hardcore sit down at our computer for 8 hours game. And thank God it isn't.

And besides... does that system still equate to skill? Or just time played? What percentage of the people that play this game, do you think, would be interested in dedicating that amount of time and effort?
    Last edited by Rare; 01-02-2013 at 03:13 PM.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

Not saying it should take 8 hours like a raid, but a 15-30 minute boss encounter that is more than just a simple tank and spank where any noob can mash buttons while chugging pots and easily win would be a great improvement.

Again... all the time in the world won't help if you don't have skill and strategy in this suggestion. I'm actually a very casual player, as I usually play for 15-60 minutes at a time...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Only a terrible idea for those who can only get top gear by merching instead of skill.
    Merching is indeed a skill.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Platinum chest can give platinum coins too

21.   This is the last Dev post in this thread.   #19
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts

Some good ideas in this thread, and they have been read. We have some thoughts on this, and we're discussing stuff along these lines but it would be a bit further down the line I imagine.

And to this point:

Quote Originally Posted by Aedenos View Post
    *cough*this is a mobile mmo*cough*

Just keep that in mind. It's not a hardcore sit down at our computer for 8 hours game. And thank God it isn't.

And besides... does that system still equate to skill? Or just time played? What percentage of the people that play this game, do you think, would be interested in dedicating that amount of time and effort?
    While it is a mobile and more casual MMO, we do have a large player base that plays it like a hardcore game. Most of us here at STS are serious gamers, so it's not out of the question to entertain ideas that create that uber challenge for niche players. In reality we have many conversations about such things! Threads like this are great, and we do read them even if we don't chime in to all of them.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

Merching in an unregulated market is also subject to massive manipulation. I can write a guide on how a group of 10 people can manipulate the market in STS games, but don't want to get banned!

Quote Originally Posted by Energizeric:915486
    Only a terrible idea for those who can only get top gear by merching instead of skill.
    Merching is indeed a skill.