Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My thoughts on the latest changes/update

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jackyll View Post
    It is TEAM based PvP. No one, including me, can go heads up agianst another team mobbing together. You're not Superman, so because you get killed by a mob don't come on forums complaining. When I see a team mobbing together i move away, come up behind (this is where sorcerers and rogues will be) and take them out. OR push through the warrior and get to them. You have to THINK and adapt in PvP, you can't just run in and think you're gonna win.
    And of course he's a warrior.
    PL (DEADBITE L.75 bird UGOTSNIPEDDD L.66 bird NIFECALEDLUST L.55)
    AL (DEADBITE L.16 warrior TENDENCIES L.16 rogue SWANSONGS L.16 mage)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

Stop QQin dude its unbecoming of you sir
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Update:

Well, I played for about 2 more hours last night, and about half way through that run I finally figured it all out!!!

I'm not going to share my secrets here because I certainly put in the time of trying many different things, but there was something very fundamental that I was not doing correctly, and I think most mages are probably making the same mistakes that I was making. But with one major correction in approach I was able to start defeating warriors 1-on-1. In fact, it got to the point in a couple of the games that I started chasing warriors in their own spawn room and taking them down. I'm not even kidding...

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  25.3 KB

Let's just say that with the right build and fighting approach, sorcerers can indeed take on warriors 1-on-1. The problem is that the approach you need to take is not a logical one at all. Once I made this adjustment, I had a 4-1 K/D ratio. At one point I even went an entire game without one single death -- something I never managed before. For the first time I also kept running out of mana. I can say this: if you are a full INT sorcerer and you are constantly running out of mana in PvP, then you are doing something right because it means you are staying alive for a long time.
    Last edited by Energizeric; 03-04-2013 at 03:32 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Energizeric View Post
    Update:
    Well, I played for about 2 more hours last night, and about half way through that run I finally figured it all out!!!
    Warriors are crit'ing all the time because the glitch build was posted by someone... Share some love with us squishy sorcerers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Does your strategy go anything like this?

1. Fireball stun
    2. Charged time
    3. Run around only in the area of your time with snare while attacking
    4. Restun with fireball when possible
    5. Redrop time if needed
    6. Heal if needed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bluotaku View Post

1. Fireball stun
    2. Charged time
    5. Redrop time if needed
    6. Heal if needed
    Similar to my old approach which didn't work very well. Except I don't have time, I have frost instead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    259 Posts

Default mage vs warrior

warrior: most have sky-windmill-vengefull-horn
    but the skill patern they use vary with each warrior.
    most will just jump-horn-vengefull-windmill or vengefull-jump-horn-windmill.
    but whatever they do first they always jump to get near and shield up.

here is what i do when i fight warrior 1v1.

-kite them and let them buff horn and wait for the shield go down. most ill just keep my distance(with my shield up)
    -buff crits from colton then unleash 3skill attacks.
    lightning-frost-fireball. i dont charge them just spam and let colton do the stun.

on my second wave i do
    lightning-attack-frost-attack-fireball-attack.(this attack is credited to dubstepticon he master the gun proc)
    -pray for weapon proc

note:
    we can only have a chance to kill a warrior if they shielded up early in the fight. so this kind of play can be countered if he is smart and experienced.
    always wait for shield to go down you have 13seconds to take down a warrior til Horn CDs.

how to kite?
    shoot your gun and let it proc.
    cast you frost
    Last edited by Cero; 03-04-2013 at 09:13 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bluotaku View Post

1. Fireball stun
    2. Charged time
    5. Redrop time if needed
    6. Heal if needed
    This is working like a charm for me in the lvl 25 bracket with colton and some crappy gear. Let's see how it works at 26

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

We'll see if warriors or socerers rule.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

I am a warrior.I have those four skills which cero listed.For me when I play pvp,I will minus some health before healing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Sometimes I find socerers irritating.They have the shield which lasts so long,they love stunning people,and they will escape.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chaokaban View Post
    Sometimes I find socerers irritating.They have the shield which lasts so long,they love stunning people,and they will escape.
    This was the basis of my post last week. Sorcerers and Warriors have shielding, mana regen, health regen but Rogues do not (some Rogues have health regen). Unfortunately, the damage rebalancing disproportionately affects Rogues because we don't have any long term stuns or snares (like fireball, time, windmill, etc), so we cannot disengage from a group. When we try to flee, Warriors just Skyward to close and Windmill to kill, and Sorcerers just Fireball, Lightning and a couple of autos to finish us off.

Rogues, since the update, are very squishy!

Early in PvP, my KDR was terrible, because I was still learning the tactics necessary for Rogues to survive. Just before the patch, I was probably about 3 or 4:1, which is reasonable for a Rogue. Since the update, I might be 1:1.....maybe. Everything comes down to damage reduction because I can kill some Warriors (not the top geared ones), but by the time the fight is over, I'm out of mana. It doesn't help that my lv 23 keeps joining up in lv 25/26 games.

I have learned that since the update, Rogues simply cannot solo as well, and sneak attacks don't work as often as they used to. We are now heavily reliant on good groups to be successful (which for PUGs, is not something I can count on). If we don't have a Warrior shielding us and/or a Sorcerer restoring HP and Mana, Rogues simply aren't as effective any more.

Sorcerers have come a very long way since the initial PvP release. Warriors continue to be very much overpowered, and with all the complaints about Rogues, the adjustment has hurt our class more than any other.

AL: Kalizzaa
    Retired Officer of <Elite Runners>
    Elite Chronicles: Solo guides for elite maps - No longer maintained

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GoodSyntax View Post
    ....Just before the patch, I was probably about 3 or 4:1, which is reasonable for a Rogue. Since the update, I might be 1:1.....maybe....
    I hope you do realize that every time you get a kill, someone else gets a death. What exactly do you mean "which is reasonable for a Rogue"??? Average for any character should be 1:1. That means you fall in the middle. 3:1 or 4:1 is extremely good and would put you in the top 5% of all players for sure.

The reason most rogues were running 3:1 or 4:1 is because they were OP. Most sorcerers were 1:3 or 1:4 to balance that out. Maybe all this update did was even things out a bit.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Energizeric For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Grats Energerzic, you must have figured out the build I use. My Kdr is 11:2 on my mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts

Rogues are now super-squishy, so the primary tactic is to burst/nuke and if you can't get the kill, evade and wait for cool-down, grab a mana or health pack and just sit tight. It's a purely sound approach for any class, so having a good KDR doesn't make me OP, just a reasonable tactician.

The biggest problem is that everyone just wants to dive right in and duke it out.

I don't think that a good KDR is indicative of imbalance. It took me a long time to figure out a solid build, establish good tactics and find good teammates that I like to run with. For a long time, my KDR was well below 1....probably 1:5 because I had the wrong approach to PvP. I really hit my stride prior to the expansion because:

1) I was lv 21 fighting against a lot of 18/19s
    2) I had top gear
    3) I had good pets

Now, at lv 23 and 24, I'm playing up at the 25/26 range and my KDR has come back down to somewhere above 3:2. This proves that being OP does not equate to KDR, as I am outgunned by people two levels higher.

And, honestly, I doubt that a 3 or 4:1 KDR is a top 5%....that's probably more like 8-10:1 and the top 1% is probably 25:1 or better. I am hardly elite in PvP, and I think that a 2:1 KDR is good, not great. Sure there are times when you roll with a very strong team and keep replaying and you can have an outstanding streak with 10-15:1, but those streaks are balanced out with those times when you are teamed, in a weak group or are just playing so far above your level that you are not competitive and get a 1:10 ratio too.

By the statement "reasonable for a Rogue" I am implying that our class, by nature, delivers a lot of kill shots. Our Aimed Shot can take down anyone who is down to 25% health. So a stray shot can often yield a kill. Many call that kill stealing, but that is a misnomer. Just because a passing arrow turns into a kill does not invalidate all the damage that the other team mates delivered. If we are all attacking, someone has to get the kill, and it is usually the late attacks that have the highest probability of a kill. So a parting Aimed Shot that crits after you have been attacking someone doesn't mean it's a kill steal, it's just that we happened to get the last attack in.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cero View Post
    note:
    we can only have a chance to kill a warrior if they shielded up early in the fight. so this kind of play can be countered if he is smart and experienced.
    always wait for shield to go down you have 13seconds to take down a warrior til Horn CDs.
    You don't have 13 seconds trust me lol. Your only chance, assuming you don't crit, against 1k armor warriors is do the bulk of your dmg after the warriors health regen effect wears off. So basically a 7 second window I think. The only time I die against sorc is when I'm a second away from that 2nd horn or while I'm charging it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts

I agree Natrich. That's why I do two waves of assault, charged Aimed Shot, uncharged Nox, uncharged Shadow Piercer and repeat as soon as I cool down. If that doesn't work, I disengage because then it's shields up, Skyward, Windmill...dead Rogue. I just have to hope that one of my charged auto attacks stun you so I can get far enough way.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GoodSyntax View Post
    I agree Natrich. That's why I do two waves of assault, charged Aimed Shot, uncharged Nox, uncharged Shadow Piercer and repeat as soon as I cool down. If that doesn't work, I disengage because then it's shields up, Skyward, Windmill...dead Rogue. I just have to hope that one of my charged auto attacks stun you so I can get far enough way.
    Sounds eerily familiar. I may throw in a charged razor just in case there is some slowing effect. Usually that takes too much time or I am stunned. I get stunned a lot and my stun last .0000001 seconds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts

Lol - I know!

It seems like when I get stunned it lasts 5 seconds, but when I stun someone else it's less than one second. That simply doesn't give me enough time to get away if I am within attack range of a Warrior, Sorcerer or Rogue.

It would be nice if Shadow Piercer could be used for evasion.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

i have been wondering if shadow pierce is even worth it. Most of the time it sends me into the pack of the enemy.

I have been thinking of trying shadow shot. Well I am not respecing again and have decided not to play until they fix what is broke. Just have been wondering if that would work better.. Charged AS, Nox then SS.