Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sorcerer Letter.

The Castle That Never Was, with my Shadowstar and Eternal Frost, also with Ebonine.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    368 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GoodSyntax:995498
    Dear Sorcerers,

It would be super helpful for both of us if you stayed a little behind, dropping Fireballs and Lightning while restoring my mana. I know that you can tank like a king with your shield, but it would help me kill things much faster, because, you see, I can only attack one thing at a time, and my mana pool is really more like just a mana puddle - enough to splash around in, but not enough to create a tidal wave. Please use your superior range and AoE skills to take down approaching mobs and Fireball those that get to close and I promise to take care of the stragglers with my Aimed Shot.

Thanks,

Rogue

Dear Warrior,

Please tank! Get in front, get mob aggro, round them up so me and my buddy Sorcerer can clean up the mess. It would also be really nice if you buffed me once in a while, you know, heal and shield. Geez, you use it all the time when you see me in PvP. Whenever I see two of you together in the arena it's all shields and heal, but when I find you in Kraken Isles, all of a sudden you forget how to shield and stay in the back of the group and watch me and my pals guzzle pots like they're free or something. So if you can just do your thing, we can do ours.

Thanks Always,

Rogue
    I agree... 300%! To me, its very hard to find good tankers these days. What u said with sorcerer is exactly what I do.

All for One, and One for All!
    The Brightest of Flames..cast the Darkest of Shadows..
    One who knows nothing cannot understand anything..

Tournament & Ladder Leader Genuinous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts

So sorcerer's are there to stun/freeze/root and give you mana, while you get the kills. Makes complete sense to be a sorcerer... Let's all hail the rogues and serve them well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Genuinous View Post
    So sorcerer's are there to stun/freeze/root and give you mana, while you get the kills. Makes complete sense to be a sorcerer... Let's all hail the rogues and serve them well.
    Actually Sorcs often get more kills. High DMG Sorcs seem to have this innate ability to time exactly when to launch Lightning which wipes out 5 mobs, meanwhile, my thumb is sore, and I'm low on mana and have no kills to show for it.

The same also happens in PvP all the time. My Rogue often punishes Warriors while the Sorc stays behind giving me buffs. Then when I am close to taking down the Warrior, it's Fireball, Lightning and the Warrior drops and I'm standing there wondering WTF happened to all that effort.

Honestly, if you feel that inadequate as a Sorc, you should probably choose a different class, because right now Sorcs are very boss!
    Last edited by GoodSyntax; 03-06-2013 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Fixed typos

AL: Kalizzaa
    Retired Officer of <Elite Runners>
    Elite Chronicles: Solo guides for elite maps - No longer maintained

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GoodSyntax View Post
    Actually Sorcs often get more kills. High DMG Sorcs seem to have this innate ability to time exactly when to launch Lightning which wipes out 5 mobs, meanwhile, my thumb is sore, and I'm low on mana and have no kills to show for it.

The same also happens in PvP all the time. My Rogue often punishes Warriors while the Sorc stays behind giving me buffs. Then when I am close to taking down the Warrior, it's Fireball, Lightning and the Warrior drops and I'm standing there wondering WTF happened to all that effort.

Honestly, if you feel that inadequate as a Sorc, you should probably choose a different class, because right now Sorcs are very boss!
    I do agree that we're doing good in pvp atm. I know many disagree with that, but i dont want to get into that argument again. But in pve it seems now that we're more useful as a support class, which used to be the job of a war. I dont have heal and i shouldnt have to have it. If a war does his job theres no need for me to have it. All my spells do great dmg and to take away just 1 to replace it with heal would greatly drop the overall dmg i can deal. Yet if i was to be for support, a good war would still be able to do it better then me, and would overall be more useful then me. So if mages are more useful for support, but warriors are more useful at supporting then mages...... does that mean mages are useless?
    ERDNASE
    Retired Co-Master/Guild Elder of
    CHIVALROUS UNION

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts

It's unfortunate honestly, because in previous maps, a mediocre Warrior wasn't as much of a liability, but in the new maps, with mobs dealing so much damage and having so much HP, mediocre tanks really cause a lot of problems.

I see so many runs where a boss starts his wind-up attack and right AFTER he hits/kills me, then the Warrior shields. Even worse, I've seen Warriors who round up a large mob (which is good), then quickly die, leaving me standing there with my bow and wondering whether I can race to the edge of the map and make the mob reset.

It's hard to deal max damage when you're running for you life because no one can take aggro away.

Tournament & Ladder Leader Genuinous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts

I agree with you on the pvp part, ks-ing is easy with a sorc. Though I can't feel sorry for you, since rogue's been doing this for over a month However, mages would be much more efficient and helpful as a support class atm. Stimes even in pvp I play support, stunning, slowing, etc, and end up with no kills, while my team dominates. If wins were rewarded, this would not be problem at all. However since nobody cares about winning, playing support is pointless and mages lose (some) of their efficiency. Not saying we suck in pvp tho, but harder to play for sure (nice challenge)

But in pve a great tank + 3 rogues are faster than if you put a sorc in the mix. While sorc will save you pots with stun/freeze/root, they are completely forced into a support role. Which after all is fine on strong maps, but if you go to easier elites (jarl, 1-2 kraken) a rogue is preferred over mages.

So all I'm saying, if you want mages to play support by stunning, freezing, mana healing, they wont get kills. In order to do that, they have to give up on what they're best at. Oh well, what can you do ?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Genuinous For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts

You hit the nail on the head Genuinous!!!!

No one cares about winning.

All anyone cares about is Kills....shoot in most games I see the kill farmers, who spawn kill and team lower levels and then count out their kills in chat - as if it's something to be proud of.

I would much rather see a system where team mates received an equal share based on wins...much like the story token or hauntlet coins. That way, people are incentivized to win games rather than just farm kills.

I disagree on the role of Sorcs in PvE. A good Warrior plus a good Sorc and some Rogues equals domination most of the time. Warrior rounds up mob, Sorc drops time, everyone nukes away until mob is gone, then onto the next mob. Fastest runs I've had have always included at least one Warrior and Sorc.

Easy elites (like Jarl) should really be a solo gig - it's just too fast with a group. Killing Jarl in under a minute? Some times, when I used to join Elite Jarl, the boss would be killed before I even get there!

Either way, Fireball and Lightning are awesome nuke attacks. They land for A LOT of damage (especially for DMG centric builds) and their crowd control ability is in some cases better than a Warrior.

There was a time when I used to be able to solo all elite maps (prior to Kraken Isles). Now, I can't even solo normal Skull Cove anymore! More than ever, I find myself relying on a Sorc for crowd control because most Warriors I find in PUGs don't know how to tank effectively, so I end up sticking with a Sorc for survival.

I'm not sure if people are just lazy or leaching, but I see so many players in PUGs who seem AFK for most of the fight, but then we get to the boss, all of a sudden, they wake up, rush to jump in and wind up with a Golden Pirate Chest while I get a Tree Branch or some other junk.

It's just funny how Sorcs and Warriors have evolved. Sorcs, in general, seems to have improved in skill at the upper levels, while Warriors for the most part haven't seemed to evolved quite as well. I suppose Rogues have gone the way of the Warrior, with many just spamming skills and having no clue about range, kiting, targeting, etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts

You hit the nail on the head Genuinous!!!!

No one cares about winning.

All anyone cares about is Kills....shoot in most games I see the kill farmers, who spawn kill and team lower levels and then count out their kills in chat - as if it's something to be proud of.

I would much rather see a system where team mates received an equal share based on wins...much like the story token or hauntlet coins. That way, people are incentivized to win games rather than just farm kills.

I disagree on the role of Sorcs in PvE. A good Warrior plus a good Sorc and some Rogues equals domination most of the time. Warrior rounds up mob, Sorc drops time, everyone nukes away until mob is gone, then onto the next mob. Fastest runs I've had have always included at least one Warrior and Sorc.

Easy elites (like Jarl) should really be a solo gig - it's just too fast with a group. Killing Jarl in under a minute? Some times, when I used to join Elite Jarl, the boss would be killed before I even get there!

Either way, Fireball and Lightning are awesome nuke attacks. They land for A LOT of damage (especially for DMG centric builds) and their crowd control ability is in some cases better than a Warrior.

There was a time when I used to be able to solo all elite maps (prior to Kraken Isles). Now, I can't even solo normal Skull Cove anymore! More than ever, I find myself relying on a Sorc for crowd control because most Warriors I find in PUGs don't know how to tank effectively, so I end up sticking with a Sorc for survival.

I'm not sure if people are just lazy or leaching, but I see so many players in PUGs who seem AFK for most of the fight, but then we get to the boss, all of a sudden, they wake up, rush to jump in and wind up with a Golden Pirate Chest while I get a Tree Branch or some other junk.

It's just funny how Sorcs and Warriors have evolved. Sorcs, in general, seems to have improved in skill at the upper levels, while Warriors for the most part haven't seemed to evolved quite as well. I suppose Rogues have gone the way of the Warrior, with many just spamming skills and having no clue about range, kiting, targeting, etc.
    Well i cant blame the people just pvping for kills. Most people mainly have focus on either getting flags or killing. These people are just focused on getting kills, and even tho it may get annoying its theyre choice and we cant stop them. Theyre reasons for this may be because theyre trying to work theyre way up the lb, or even just trying to get on it. Im the other way around. I just go mainly for flags. And on a few occasions i have had people get mad at me for just creeping around corners and getting flags while they are fighting. It may come off that im being selfish or a coward (or noob as some have said lol) but thats just what i do because im focused on flagging. Anyway thats just my 2 cents worth on that (and i know its fairly straight forward, but like i said, its just my 2 cents worth ).

But would giving a "pvp coin" help? Possibly... If it was done that the winning team was given 2 coins and the losing was giving 1, i think it would make things quite different. Well for 1, people probably wouldnt get mad if u just flagged. And 2, this might keep the losing team from leaving when they are just getting killed. Because from finishing it they would at least get 1 coin. Anyway just a few things sts can think on.
    Last edited by Erdnase; 03-06-2013 at 04:44 PM.
    ERDNASE
    Retired Co-Master/Guild Elder of
    CHIVALROUS UNION

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice how more substantial facts has been added to this thread after the original post with the two letters but still I won't go with that Rouges seem to take it for granted that Mages are in the game to support THEM???
    Rouges will have to heal themselves if they want to be healed.
    Rouges move around way too much for a Mage to try to catch up with them and heal them.
    If a Rouge want a Mage to support them he/she would have to stand still or follow the Mage around, and that is from what I understand not a Rouges natural behavior.
    Rouges keep moving ALL over.
    Therefore since a Rouge waits for no one he/she won't get supported by anyone.
    I beleive though that all three classes are needed to make a really good team.
    Last edited by Emememil; 03-06-2013 at 07:32 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts

Solo Rogues aren't very good, generally speaking. The strength is in the team, with Warriors tanking, Sorcs buffing, debuffing and nuking, and Rogues knocking out massive single target damage. Rogues who just run around in circles can be effective if they can press when there is an advantage, but by and large, soloing is not a very good idea.

This is the one point that separates dominant teams from the unfortunate ones.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dear GoodSyntax:
    If you by "buffing" you mean supporting you can forget it or try to stay close.
    Last edited by Emememil; 03-06-2013 at 07:42 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emememil View Post
    Dear GoodSyntax:
    If you by "buffing" you mean supporting you can forget it or try to stay close.
    Perhaps you should re-read what I wrote....

I never said that other players should follow Rogues around like lost puppies. I said Rogues should stick to their group because the maximum benefit of cooperation between classes can only be found when you work together.

And yes, I do mean buffing...as in if you see your teammates are low on HP or mana and there's a lull in the battle, it would be nice to heal. Same goes for Warriors, it would be helpful to put up a shield for the group, so that we all can get the benefit of heal-over-time. That's much better than a Skyward away from the group and then a HoR, so only you receive the buff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

GoodSyntax:
    In battle I have to keep my heal cooled down so that if I get hit by an arrow or some magic ball I can heal instantly. Two of those hits and I'm dead. That is why I stay on the outside, away from trouble, and nuke. If you want me to heal you, you would have to either stay close to me so that when I use my heal you can benefit from it or always be where I know where you are, so that I can move fast over to you and heal there.
    If I'm low on health, and stop and look where you are, I will sure be dead before I even have had time to start moving towards you.
    It would be nice if I could heal my whole party at the same time, but then I'd have to know where you are always.
    I don't have as strong of an armor as you OR as many health points as you. That's why you'd have to come to me for health buffs.
    I could suggest, if you are THAT dependent of my heal buffs, that when you see me getting hit you move up to me instantly because you can be sure of that an energy buff will come shortly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts

That's the point of a good team.

Tanks are up front, Rogues and Sorcs a little behind. Tanks launch Horn of Renew to buff, Windmill to damage and snare, and hopefully receive all auto-targeting. Rogues deal as much 1v1 damage as possible. Sorcs deal AoE damage, stun/control enemies and buff the group (if in range).

The Rogue is responsible for ensuring that the Sorc stays alive. We have to keep an eye whether an enemy is sneaking up from behind because we have a very symbiotic relationship with Sorcerers, and the taking down the sneak attacker is the specialty of the Rogue class because we are purely 1v1.

I'm not saying that anyone has to chase anyone else simply because you're on the same team. Being a team means working together to minimize your individual shortcomings (like low mana for Rogues, low armor for Sorcs, and ??? for Warriors), while playing up your individual strengths.