Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Quitting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts

Wow well said bro. I think we're guildmates so hope to meet ya sometime soon!
    L15 Mage - Certificates. L12 Behr - Certificate. L15 Teamer Mage - Duuq

THE DUUQS WILL RULE.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

Pretty much spot on.... I felt exactly like this a few months ago.

It's sad that many of us (including me probably) feel the need to be 'more equal' than others and possibly drive people away from the forums.

There are probably 100's of players who have looked in on the forums and wondered what all the drama is about, and left. Not great...

People are understandably passionate about the games and their posts, but often, when highlighting or policing stuff, we all need to take more time to explain the 'why'..... It's frustrating we might have said the same thing over and over but it's not an excuse to be blunt, or bordering on rude.

Its been said so many times, but its only a game. Nobody really dies, and it's the same on the forums. No one dies if there's a double post or a duplicate thread. It would be nice to have a perfectly symmetrical forum but its not gonna happen. And, there are always gonna be new posters who don't know the score but these are their forums too....

Lets not drive anymore people away, lets try to be considerate and offer a full/supportive answer when highlighting or policing OR if you can't offer a supportive answer when policing the forums then don't bother posting...

Great Thread, needed to be said but don't leave just take a break for a bit.

If I am one of the people you are referring to above then please feel free to say or even PM me, I'd be gutted to know i'd contributed to making you feel this way.

EDIT: If you're easily offended look at this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cycXuYzmzNg
    Last edited by Redbridge; 11-13-2011 at 05:37 AM.
    Use the SEARCH function or it'll probably be here--> PL stuff or SL stuff >>> I'm 'SRINGY 2' .
    ** Elf/Redbridge - Ursan/Scorpionious - Avian/Bolticus ** Eng/Redbridge - Op/Yoda **
    I am responisble for what I say. I am not responsible for what you understand

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Amen! I barley ever want to post on the forums cuz its 100% guaranteed that someone will show you how to correctly spell words and most the time its coming from top members. I am not the only one that feels this way, other people I kno in game have quit the forums before too...but I now know who the smart butts on the forums are and I learned to completely ignore their post. Some community
    Last edited by SuperNas; 11-13-2011 at 06:00 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    122 Posts

Man u r awesome.

Everyone go look at the oldest threads on the first pages. People could say whatever they wanted to and everyone had interesting or entertaining arguments. Now if someone says a word, everyone begins to show off their keen sense of threads locks. What an amazing phenomenon hahah.
    It was fun while it lasted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZHEOTARE View Post
    You rep meter is green or red. Kinda like the Christmas colors.
    I won't think less of you because your bar is red. I see people on here with 3 or 4 green bars. I think they do more flaming than most people.
    But, since the main group of forum people keep giving them thumbs up, they get lots of green bars. Those people have red bars in my eyes.
    I totally agree with all your aspects, but mostly with this one.
    People are misabusing the rep meter.
    Like with xxxmikelxxx, when he posted his all lvl 60's are mean thread his rep meter went down badly.
    Was it so hurtfull to all of your feelings what he said. He probably just had some bad encounters and wanted to clear his mind...
    Also, I was this happen quite alot:
    Some people had 'fights in game', and afterwards they went to the forum just to spoil this guys rep. bar.
    Is that where the rep. bar is for?
    Just to make people look bad...
    Voltaire
    Barbarous
    Highness

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Good thing ellyidol is on my Permanent IGNORE list so I don't see her messages

SupaProdigy level 32 operative SpaceReaper level 12 .Beastrocity lvl 63
    Supaprodigy level 56 bird Toquickforu level 60 Paladin! Top Shot Mafia. Empty-Space

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SUPAPRODIGY View Post
    Good thing ellyidol is on my Permanent IGNORE list so I don't see her messages
    A challenge to a provocation left unattended is cowardice.

Let's settle this in private, shall we? Inbox.

PS. I must be the manliest she.

ELITE
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    143 Posts

Well I can explain the anti-positivity in the sense, as I see it being negative usually sparks a response or change from the devs before supportive/creative ideation. I'll use the accidental removal of the shield of hallows as an example: Example #1 is a supportive thread that points out a problem in the proper section with a simple explanation as to the root of the issue, it gets one reply and no dev love. Example #2 is a rant that personifies drama and negativity, but it warrants a dev response within minutes. So I think some of us have been conditioned to understand that sometimes a good rant gets things done, but a well thought out preemptive thread doesn't get any action.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gluttony For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gluttony View Post
    Well I can explain the anti-positivity in the sense, as I see it being negative usually sparks a response or change from the devs before supportive/creative ideation. I'll use the accidental removal of the shield of hallows as an example: Example #1 is a supportive thread that points out a problem in the proper section with a simple explanation as to the root of the issue, it gets one reply and no dev love. Example #2 is a rant that personifies drama and negativity, but it warrants a dev response within minutes. So I think some of us have been conditioned to understand that sometimes a good rant gets things done, but a well thought out preemptive thread doesn't get any action.
    Thats a really good point..... never thought about it like that before... [ponders]

hmm.. sweet

[/ponders]
    Use the SEARCH function or it'll probably be here--> PL stuff or SL stuff >>> I'm 'SRINGY 2' .
    ** Elf/Redbridge - Ursan/Scorpionious - Avian/Bolticus ** Eng/Redbridge - Op/Yoda **
    I am responisble for what I say. I am not responsible for what you understand

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

This site has become uncreative, unsupportive, annoying, and drama filled.
    I disagree with some of these points because I have seen many positive post that help others. As well of some of are members are very creative when it comes to art and guides. I do agree we have some drama.

We are a community and yes we have some flaws. All we can do is try to work together to make the forums run more smoothly. As with an increase with player base to the forums not all people are used to the ways of the forum. Everyone on sees things in a different light and we just need to try and be accepting of others and try to help them become a "model forum member."
    Last edited by MoarPewPew; 11-13-2011 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Forgot the word "seen"
    (Yes I killed a dev)
    Don't screw with the pew! (not literally) lol
    Active Toons: MoarPewPew,Enrages,PewPewJr
    I award Pew Points.(Keep Track!)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MoarPewPew For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts

Hmm... Well said.

My motto is post only if needed by the community.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

Default Zheotare Please Don't Quit

I hope that you do not quit the forums. Everything you said in you post is 100% accurate. Things will get better, much better if you stay and continue to speak your mind. This will encourage all the others who have been thinking the same things to speak their mind. (Although, no one, imo, will ever be able to word these thoughts as well as you did).

You are actually giving people hope!! Please stay.

Yes, there are a few members who constantly "police" the forums. I hope they hear what you said in your op and just stop. They are not trying to hurt the forum. In fact, in their mind, they think they are helping. But, they are not. They hurt the forum by making it such an unfriendly place to visit.

You said: "If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all". YES! This is exactly the rule people should be following. What is the one thing that STS tells us to do, everytime we zone? "Be nice and have fun"

We all have to try to be nice, act right and respect all those around us. Even if they have different ideas.

Don't when you log onto SL one of the things it says is "Deleting Haters". Of coure, that is just tounge in cheek. But, all this hating and rudeness on this forum needs to stop.

This tiny few who police the forum very, very often guilty of the same things they tell others not to do. That is one of the things that is so frustrating about this situ is sometimes there is just a tad too much hypocracy. There is a whole lot of policing others, but not so much each other. This is leading to an awful, mind-numbing cloud of aprehension that is literally scareing people, especially new people, away from the forums.

Part of the problem, is that these tiny, few "forum police officers" have made up rules or interpreted actual forum rules in a way that they approve of but that has not been sanctioned by STS. An example of this is this bizarre hatred for necro posting. Necro posting isn't technically even in the rules. Bumping posts to keep them on top of the page is. Bumping posts just to keep them on top and necro posting isn't exactly the same thing.

I hope you do not quit. We need you on this forum if you would like to stay.

Oh, and everything you said about power leveling is spot on, 100% accurate.

I really, really want to thank you for taking the time for making this post. If you leave, the forum will be loosing a winner. But, if you do leave, I wish you well and I know you will do well cause you have such a postive approach.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, there is no possible way to thank you enough.

edit: the problems of necro posting is more complicated than just what I said above, necro posting can be discussed so that members have a better understanding of the do's and don'ts. Just didn't take the time to do that here, cuz was just using it as an example of what I was otherwise saying.
    Last edited by Aikiebo; 11-13-2011 at 11:48 AM.
    "How Wude! Mesa your humble Servant."
    "You can argue with me, but you can't aruge with the math." Foghorn Leghorn, 20th Century American Philospher

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Figured I'd repost this here, since I think I addressed a few valid points. Zheo, this is a really good thread. As said, one cannot be aware of his faults if not made aware.

As Elly said, power gets to people's heads. At some points, it has even got to my head. I took a good look at my post history and discovered that I'm slowly turning into one of those trolls I always despised. Half a year ago, most of my posts were helpful and nice. Now? They still deliver the same information, but it seems when I go back and read them, they deliver information in a pompous way. I'm trying to figure out how to change that, as that's always been the last thing I want to be.

I would be all for abolishing the GoA/SG programs. I took off my title for a reason. I think part of the reason why I got pompous was wearing that title. When I first became GoA, I made a promise to myself not to be that person. Thus, when I think I am, I take the title off, essentially "stripping" myself so to speak.

Some flaws I think I have:

• Grammar: I tended to critique others on grammar, but that's only when I can't understand the post. Instead of being selfish and being more considerate towards others, I'm going to try and abolish that habit. :/

• Friends: I don't think we as a whole realize our posts are viewed by thousands of people daily. Since only the main forumers tend to post, the forums gives off an exclusive view, kind of like the Phoenix Club.

• Typing: Our typing is harsh, even though it may not appear to be. I am guilty of such as well. I looked at my post history and the way I used to remedy it was inserting smileys. It's like a handshake; it keeps things friendly.

Just a few suggestions, I plan on using most of these myself.
    Last edited by Zeus; 11-13-2011 at 12:03 PM.
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

I've decided to quit the forums. This site has become uncreative, unsupportive, annoying, and drama filled. The only thing I get out of this now is negativity, and the feeling that I can't do anything on here without the "forum police" saying something. I can show in example in almost any new post where people are telling a previous poster that something they said, or did, was wrong, was already said in another thread, or correcting their grammar And this is coming from the supposed "leaders" of the forums.

Here's a thought... Fall back to what your parents/parent/guardian taught, or should have taught, you. If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything. Or if you don't have anything to add to the conversation, don't speak.

Here is somethings I have observed, or have already pondered. Maybe you should ponder these things too...

- Every main topic, and most of the minor ones, that can be covered, have been covered. Maybe the OP doesn't know how to use the search
    function. Maybe they didn't find the information they wanted. Maybe they just want to make their own post. In the end, what does it matter??
    Seriously, if there are 20 threads on where is the best place to farm gold, does one more post hurt?? Maybe, just maybe, someone found a
    better spot then is listed in any of the first 20 threads.

- If I'm not allowed to create a thread that has been created before, why can't I post on an old thread? I mean, I have a question that I want
    answered. I see that there is a thread asking the question, I would like more information. Oh wait, the thread is over two weeks old. I am not
    allowed to post on there, or I will be "frowned upon" for necro-posting. Or maybe I have been gone for awhile, and this is my first time back on
    the forums. I see a funny thread, and would like to add to it. But now I can't because it's been too long. Shame on me.

- You have written the same opinion on power leveling, double posting, creating a similar thread, necro-posting, post boosting, and whatever else
    you "frown upon". Search for it. If I can't create a similar thread, you can't give me a similar opinion.

- I didn't know there were so many english majors on here. If I spell a word wrong, forget a punctuation, use a wrong abbreviation, or do
    something else that "frowned upon" by the english language, so what?? Did you get the message I was trying to get across?? Yes, move on.
    No, ask for clarification. However, the fact that you are correcting me, says you got the point I was making.

- Did I double post? Yes. This affects you how?

- I can buy 1.5x, 2x, 3x, and 4x elixers with plat. Guess what? I just paid STS to power level me. Power leveling is "frowned upon". Are you
    "frowning upon" STS right now? No, then get over it. I agree people need to learn to play the game. They can learn how to play any way they
    want. I personally don't power level someone, unless I know them, or they have another toon, and know how to play. If I host a game and a
    bad player joins, I still finish the run. I try to teach them how to play. If after a couple runs, they show they don't care to learn, I boot them...
    with a real reason.

- My opinion is just that... mine. Give me your opinion, comments, or thoughts. Don't tell me how stupid, wrong, or noobish I am. Because at
    that point, your opinion is as stupid, wrong, or noobish as you think mine is.

- You are boosting your post count by complaining that I'm boosting my post count.

- A post count is a number. You don't win a prize for the most posts of the day. You rep meter is green or red. Kinda like the Christmas colors.
    I won't think less of you because your bar is red. I see people on here with 3 or 4 green bars. I think they do more flaming than most people.
    But, since the main group of forum people keep giving them thumbs up, they get lots of green bars. Those people have red bars in my eyes.

- "Frowning upon" someone is an idle threat. Do you pay attention to idle threats in real life? No, then stop giving them out on here.

- Don't say I'm walking on thin ice. In case you haven't realized, you can't really do anything to me. Again, idle threat.

- I bet one on the "english majors" on here has found something wrong with this post.

- I bet there is stuff I'm leaving out.

- I bet there isn't a thread like this that's been made. If there is, I won't know. I didn't search for it.

I've met some pretty descent people on here. And some of the people I thought were cool, have shown me how hypocritical, arrogant, immature, or petty they really are. Just like in real life, I don't really speak to them anymore. The negativity has gotten so bad on here, it's making me not enjoy playing PL. I actually feel a sense of relief knowing that I won't be on here anymore.

See ya in the game!!
    Aww Zheo! I have actually been noticing quite a few users come and go lately. Anyways, if your reading this, thanks for the help with farming SSC and see you in-game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Being honest isn't drama.
    Saying someone is dramatic is your perception.I agree with the thread

Tournament & Ladder Leader AbsolutePally's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    182 Posts

I agree with you.
    Im now officially turned off by the forums.
    I'd go into more but I do not wanna thread into those waters. Thanks for this post and for calling people out on their dodo.
    Retired: Alwaysdt 71 Mage. Legends never die, they just fade away.

Revelation

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ellyidol:480049
    Ironic. Drama within the drama. Dramception.
    This isn't drama. The forum exists to:

1. provide a place for constructive discussion.

2. provide rule to keep the forums a nice place for everyone to visit.

3. to provide a platform for the exchange of ideas.

Those three lines are from the first three paragraphs of the forum rules.

Sometimes, if someone doesn't like what someone else is saying, instead of using logic/reason they just resort to trying to discredit the idea or even the person by "labeling" it as something it is really not.

This is an excellent thread and should be stickied, imo.
    "You can argue with me, but you can't aruge with the math." Foghorn Leghorn, 20th Century American Philospher

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Thank you Zheo for sharing your observations which I thought were pretty accurate.

I too have seen really pointless posts by the "forum police" that were not adding any valuable insights such as:
    - "frowned upon" (err and the point is?)
    - "the search function is your friend" (without providing any additional information to respond to the OP's question. It's ok if links were provided)
    - "hasn't this been posted before" (again not providing additional information but making another pointless negative comment)
    - "let this thread die" (biggest irony as their latest post asking for the thread to die is actually bumping the thread)

Having said that, I think only a small minority are guilty of consistently doing the above. I do think that most people are generally helpful and try to add value through their posts. Not everyone is bothered about inflating their post count with "policing" or "yeah, what he said" posts.

I hope knowing that you are not alone in your views would help you reconsider your decision.
    Eva | Co-GM of Eclipse
    PL: Evaruss 65 Mage | Evarina 66 Archer | Evabug 65 Bear
    SL: Evita 25 Operative | Atomgirl 15 Commando

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Just food for thought, something that I have noticed which caused the overall tension and attitude in the forums: rants.

In my entire forum life, I have not opened up and been greeted by this much rants about rushing, scamming, booting, guild issues, than before. These things have been in the game, guilds excluded, yet only now has there been an extreme inflow of these things to the forums.

It contributes to the overall frustration, don't you think? In the words of a good friend, gone are the days where actual discussion on game mechanics exist on the forums. The discussions seem to have evolved into the four things mentioned: rushing, booting, scamming, and guild issues.

I'm with Apollo on this one. Abolish the entire rep and elitist statuses. The real GoA's and like could not care less if a title was removed. Others seem to think that this title removes the human aspect from us. Our opinions immediately turn to elitism.

Quote Originally Posted by Aikiebo View Post

Sometimes, if someone doesn't like what someone else is saying, instead of using logic/reason they just resort to trying to discredit the idea or even the person by "labeling" it as something it is really not.

This was intended for humor. Obviously not well received.

1. Agree. Unfortunate that almost all discussion on booting, rushing, scamming, and guild issues have resulted in flames.

2. The rules need to be made more explicit. How many of us actually just skip to the "Agree" button when rules pop up, yet never read them afterwards?

3. Yes, definitely.

As "useful" as this thread is, I don't think it's in the best interest of the forum to have it stickied. A sticky on quitting?
    Last edited by Ellyidol; 11-13-2011 at 03:31 PM.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ellyidol For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ellyidol:480613
    Just food for thought, something that I have noticed which caused the overall tension and attitude in the forums: rants.

In my entire forum life, I have not opened up and been greeted by this much rants about rushing, scamming, booting, guild issues, than before. These things have been in the game, guilds excluded, yet only now has there been an extreme inflow of these things to the forums.

It contributes to the overall frustration, don't you think? In the words of a good friend, gone are the days where actual discussion on game mechanics exist on the forums. The discussions seem to have evolved into the four things mentioned: rushing, booting, scamming, and guild issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Aikiebo View Post

This was intended for humor. Obviously not well received.
    Ellyidol, sorry, didn't see the humor at first. My bad. It is kinda funny, lol.

Just in responce to some of what you were saying, the problems that exist with a tiny percentage of people patroling the forum boards (all of the boards) to police them has nothing to do with the topics that are being discussed. These few forum police officers seem to know no boundires in their very unfriendly and usually rude responces to people.

It's not the subject of the threads that is the problem. It's that a few think they have the right to boss around to enforce rules that frequently don't even exist. They are simply enforcing their personal opinions.

People don't have the right to modify the forum rules (that are very important) and then just go around nicely or rudely enforcing their personal opinions.

I understand that some may get frustrated if the converstations were on just those four subjects (rushing, scamming, booting and guild issues), but I'm not sure what you mean. I looked at the last 100 posts in General Discussion. Only 3 were on those topics. That's only 3%, that's not that high at all.

I didn't look at the PvP or Guild boards (which is where the threads on rushing and guild issues should be). So the solution to this is easy, if those issues bother a person don't go to those boards.

But the important thing here, is that this unfreindly, forum-killing policing is happening on every subject and every board that these few people want to do this to. It's not the subject matter that is the problem. It's the inappropriate behavior by a small handfull of folks.

And yeah, about the stickie, your right, I meant to take out the part about quitting and using this as a primer on forum ettiquete cuz it is AMAZING.

Again, there is no possible way to thank Zheotare enough for this post. But that won't stop me from trying:

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!
    Last edited by Aikiebo; 11-13-2011 at 04:13 PM.