Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meet Mrwallacejr

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Default Meet Mrwallacejr

As positive as the general feedback to the forum guides for bears are, I heard some gentle criticism that we all on here focus on the end game bear, the leveling bear is left alone.
    In my case, that has a pretty simple reason: When I leveled Mrwallace (now senior), I had no clue what I did there. It was the first char I leveled over 18, and I made every mistake I could make. I started to think about stuff like specs and tactic when I was level 50.

But now I'm old and wise , I know how I want my bear to work. And to do something new until there will be new end game maps, I’ll level up another bear, and post what I did there...

As always: This is not a build-a-bear-guide, this is just my point of view. Please comment and share your ideas.

Compared to someone starting the game, I have the advantage of tons of gear in my stash. Especially in low levels this makes things really easy. I got some platinum sets from my failed twinking attempts that will have a use now.

My goal is a level 30 dual spec str/dex bear wearing Shivering and Iceberg, on the way there I don’t want to bother much with dual spec. I will use dex weapons, because it’s just more fun and I really hate having to walk to my enemies.

So let’s start a bear - meet Mrwallacejr

Level 1 to 4

That part is boring, but fortunately over fast. Just join full games and try not to die. No need to think about how to spend your skill point, the first four are spent automatic. But I’ve been a bit creative with my stat points. Generally I would put all points into dex at the start, but from level 5 on I want to wear an Armsman plate, which needs 22 str and adds 7 str. So I will add str until I have 15 and then put all the rest into dex. This means I’ll have to use boost gear at level 5 - which is a funny thought...

Stats: Put 15 into str for Armsman armor, rest dex
    Skills: Nothing to chose there
    Gear: Don’t buy anything! What you got at the start is fine for the first levels.
    Play style: Walk to mob. Auto attack. Use Skill. wait. Walk to next mob... Don’t fall asleep.

Level 5 to 9

Time to decide about skill points! I’ve put all new skill points into Rage, all stat points into dex. With every additional Rage level it feels better, at level 8 I could easily solo rush Dark Forest. Fun. Only stop for trolls.

Stats: All new into dex
    Skills: All new into Rage
    Gear: Armsman plate. I tried all six crafted level 5 armors, I like Armsman best for my bear. Rest of gear is best drops or old twink stuff.
    Play style: When rage is on - Mob is dead before you reach them. When rage is on cooldown: See level 1-4 play style

Level 10 to 14

Still putting all stat point in dex, after maxing out rage, all points go into stomp. This may not bring much in higher levels, but now it is just a great damage dealer. And it’s fun to be a low level stompy bear...
    I use talon and wing from platinum pack, and still stick to the Armsman

Stats: Dex Dex Dex :-)
    Skills: Max Rage, then max Stomp
    Gear: Armsman plate, platinum pack cap, talon and wing
    Play style: Soft crowd control. Walk into room, taunt, walk into corner, when mobs followed step back and stomp...

Level 15 to 19

To stingy for a new armor, so only change to pink level 15 / 17 talons for some extra damage. Hell Scream joins the skill map and gets every extra point.

Stats: Stopped putting points into dex when I reached 65 Dex. For a Shivering talon set I'll need 93 Dex, it adds 4 * 7 Dex, so I stop at 93 - 28 = 65 Dex and start putting points into Str.
    Skills: Max Stomp, then hoild back skill points until level 18 for Hell Scream
    Gear: Same as before, only level 15/17 talons
    Play style: With Hell Scream you now can stun mobs before stomping them, yay!
    Last edited by Mr.Wallace; 07-15-2011 at 06:51 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Wallace For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Level 20 to 24

A lots of things change in this phase. Happy stompy times are over, at level 22 you get Beckon. And that means, time to do your job. From now on you’ll need a really good reason if you use Stomp without Beckon to a wall before.
    When I first used Beckon level 1, I understood why so many bear never level this skill - it seems completely useless. But once you have Beckon at level 3 or 4 you see what it’s meant for.
    Fathom Crypt until 22 and Lost Expedition from 23 on have great maps to practise your tank cycle, lots of narrow hallways.

Stats:Enough Dex for the Sivering set, all stat points until 30 will go into Str.
    Skills: Max Hell Scream, then put every new point into Beckon.
    Gear: Level 20 plat pack, but sticked to the Armsman plate...
    Play style: Major change at level 22: Run taunting to a wall, beckon, silently laugh about the weak beckon, stomp mobs into the wall.

Level 25 to 29

Basically, the bear is done at level 27. You have maxed Rage, Stomp, Hell Scream and Beckon, that’s all the tools you need to make your team love you - or hate you when you mess it up. But yeah, that’s what playing bear is about.
    Swamps from level 28 on mean tanking with high difficulty, most maps are very wide open, so you need to have a good timing to pile up mobs.

Stats: More Str..
    Skills: After Beckon is maxed, time for some personalization. By now you should know what is important for your playing style. If you need high armor, put your points into Iron Blood. For a ninjalike dodge start maxing taunt. Or you you love to beat up single mobs, put points into SMS.
    I went with ninja, so I started to max out taunt.
    Gear: I bought something! A purple Demon’s Claw, a purple 27 Bone Tunic. I already had a level 25 Wing Shield of Legend and a 27 Sniper’s Penguin Snowcap. The gear looks terrible (Bone Tunic ew!) but has nice enough stats to bring me to level 30.
    Play style: Just be a bear... Buff, Taunt, Beckon to a corner, wall or tree, Hell Scream, Stomp. Repeat. If you end up with four friend requests after every PUG you did it right.

Level 30 to 34

From now on you only have to get used to the new maps being unlocked. What you do pretty much stays the same.
    In AO1 I first met other bears with a strong enough beckon to scatter my neatly arranged mob piles. It’s like the Balefort Sewers on sand .

Stats: I will keep Shivering until 41, so for now all goes into Str...
    Skills: Maxing out taunt, then maxing out Evade: I want to be dodgy!
    Gear: Shivering Talon set, Iceberg Frosty Hatchet set
    Play style: No change...

Level 35 to 39

At level 38 you can finally go to AO2, where the hallways are narrow and full of big mob groups. It’s bear paradise, nothing less.

Stats: Made the mistake to put enough into Str to wear Copperhead, and then found out that I only wear it as town cloths, while playing never changed from Shivering talon.
    Skills:More Evade! Then putting points into Iron Blood.
    Gear: Shivering Talon set, Copperhead set
    Play style: No change...

Level 40 - 44

At level 43 it’s “Welcome to AO3” and also “You have been booted for the reason: Low”. I tried to find some games with maximum level 49 to level up and unlock all maps, level 50+ boot a tiny level 43 bear nearly every game. But even if most people say different, it’s no problem to finish all AO3 with a level 45 team. You don’t need a level 56 to beat the Overlord.

Stats:Kinda tricky, always calculating how much is needed for the next gear in my stash.
    Skills: Maxing out Iron Blood.
    Gear: 41 / 43 Scarab of Horus, 39 / 41 / 43 Sniper leather...
    Play style: Not much change, just have to be a bit faster, because of the lacking armor with bow

Done! Level 45!

As always: click for bigger pic

So that’s it. Now I got a level 45 farming bear with overpowered gear . So if you want to farm 45 gear in AO3 too, please add Mrwallacejr.

Stats: Dual spec is a pain. There are barely enough points to wear Dex and Str gear, but after finding the right boost gear it works. My final stats are 110 Str and 119 Dex.
    Skills: So not sure where to put the last skill point. Decided to use it for Crushing Blow for some extra boss fighting advantage. Maybe I’ll respec and put the two points from Vengeful and Crushing into SMS...
    But generally I put my points into buffs and the taunt-beckon-hell scream-stomp cycle.
    Gear: Trueshot bow, Raptorhide leather and Horus cap as Dex setup, Osiris gear with Battleforged helm and Zuraz lance as Str setup.
    Play style: Find your favorite beckon spots in each map and just do your work
    Last edited by Mr.Wallace; 07-19-2011 at 10:01 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Wallace For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

This is great....

Looking forward to the netpxt levels.

Do you have any suggestions for gear for those not have plat packs or full inventories... Would you suggest just using normal drops? Or is there a piece of must have gear you would recommend?
    Use the SEARCH function or it'll probably be here--> PL stuff or SL stuff >>> I'm 'SRINGY 2' .
    ** Elf/Redbridge - Ursan/Scorpionious - Avian/Bolticus ** Eng/Redbridge - Op/Yoda **
    I am responisble for what I say. I am not responsible for what you understand

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Redbridge View Post
    This is great....

Looking forward to the netpxt levels.

Do you have any suggestions for gear for those not have plat packs or full inventories... Would you suggest just using normal drops? Or is there a piece of must have gear you would recommend?
    I'd say use the best drops you get, the levels pass by so fast there is no need to spend much gold...
    Only exception: The mentioned Armsman plate. Bought for 25K, wore from level 5 to 19. Worth the gold for me.

Without Platinum packs it'll be hard to get your hands on talons and wings in low levels, so instead use the best bow you can find...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Bravo! You are exactly right, we have so much emphasis on end-game that we forgot how we got there in the first place.

I personally cannot remember how I leveled my bear since I did so recklessly and it was my first toon too.

Best of luck!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey, I've been using ur guide to lvl my bear. I'm at 20 and am stumped :/ my bears name is meowzzz, I've sent u a friend request to ask questions etc lvl together, idk if u thought i was some stranger or what :P but if u could help that'd be awesome! I'll send u a private message just to get your attention

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gladdos View Post
    Hey, I've been using ur guide to lvl my bear. I'm at 20 and am stumped :/ my bears name is meowzzz, I've sent u a friend request to ask questions etc lvl together, idk if u thought i was some stranger or what :P but if u could help that'd be awesome! I'll send u a private message just to get your attention
    Hey, I haven't been on PL the last days, Star Legends caught me

But by now Mrwallacejr has reached level 45, I'm working on the second part of this thread, should be done soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thanks alot

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Wallace View Post
    Hey, I haven't been on PL the last days, Star Legends caught me

But by now Mrwallacejr has reached level 45, I'm working on the second part of this thread, should be done soon.
    Nice guide! After reading it I was just wondering why you want to farm level 45 gear?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Finished the second part, unfortunately didn't find screenshots from level 31 to 44... But anyway: Done.
    If you have questions, feel free to post them here!

Quote Originally Posted by robert7204 View Post
    Nice guide! After reading it I was just wondering why you want to farm level 45 gear?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

Finished the second part, unfortunately didn't find screenshots from level 31 to 44... But anyway: Done.

Oooh crap. I gave away plenty of those.

ELITE
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StompArtist View Post
    Oooh crap. I gave away plenty of those.
    But they were probably all L50s.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixking View Post
    Grrr they answer drews question but not mine! That makes me mad,grrrrrrrrrrrr!
    Quote Originally Posted by Physiologic View Post
    We have leet lv 55-56 players dying at Plasma Pyramid...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengotengo View Post
    It's like someone gave me a bag of M&Ms, but there's a handful of candy-coated rabbit turds in the bag somewhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts

Nice! I wish I would have known that when I was farming in AO! I asked repeatedly if there were any good drops and was told no.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by robert7204 View Post
    Nice! I wish I would have known that when I was farming in AO! I asked repeatedly if there were any good drops and was told no.
    As so often the scaling of the drops is the key - a level 50 Trueshot Bow may be worth 5K gold... So if you had at least one level 49+ in your group, really only some the premium pinks (Void, Rift, Cosmos) are worth something.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by drewcapu View Post
    But they were probably all L50s.
    Nope. I kept 1 of them for my upcoming bow-bear. They were 45's.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Nope. I kept 1 of them for my upcoming bow-bear. They were 45's.
    I'm sorry for your loss.

But I have to confess, when I was a bit more noob than now, I liquidated lots of LE pinks because I think pink was the trash color... :/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

I'm sorry for your loss.

But I have to confess, when I was a bit more noob than now, I liquidated lots of LE pinks because I think pink was the trash color... :/
    LOL. I liquidated a bunch of SC pinks at first release thinking... well it's so easy to get them anyways and I need the space. Been wearing my dunce hat ever since.

Back to subject: I noticed that you assigned 1 in both Vengeful Slash and Crushing Blow. Any particular reason? My assignments are similar to yours (or will be) on the character I am leveling but I tend to leave vengeful slash unassigned until I am in the 50s and well... have to spend unspent points.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

LOL. I liquidated a bunch of SC pinks at first release thinking... well it's so easy to get them anyways and I need the space. Been wearing my dunce hat ever since.

Back to subject: I noticed that you assigned 1 in both Vengeful Slash and Crushing Blow. Any particular reason? My assignments are similar to yours (or will be) on the character I am leveling but I tend to leave vengeful slash unassigned until I am in the 50s and well... have to spend unspent points.
    You get 1 Vengeful automatically at level 1 and I didn't want to spend 2 Plat to get rid of it. If I'd respec I'd throw out Vengeful and either put 2 in CB or 2 in SMS... Not sure which one would be more useful.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In reguards to the pic.. No iron blood = no success in lvl 20 pvp

*Coming from former #1 lvl 20 twink december-january

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Twinkman View Post
    In reguards to the pic.. No iron blood = no success in lvl 20 pvp

*Coming from former #1 lvl 20 twink december-january
    Well with that build i managed a :0 PVP ratio...

Forgot to mention, Mrwallacejr doesn't PVP